1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you know that your holy scriptures are from God?!

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by TashaN, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Mestemia

Mestemia Advocatus Diaboli
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,327
    May have?
    And why do you believe you can tell me what I did/did not experience?
    This is a big part of your problem.
    You cannot understand how anyone can disagree with your proposed 'truth' so therefore I could not have "properly" experienced it.
    As I said, this is nothing more than you refusing to accept something you disagree with.

And here you created a nice strawman to attack.

LOL
    of course the book that is attempting to sell you a particular God is going to promote only that God.
    So does arrogance, lies and false teaching.
    Especially when they come from those who are attempting to recruit for God.

LOL
    this is actually a detriment to your position.
    To bad you do not understand how or why.

Back to your strawman I see.

With you?
    Yet these words spilled from your mouth in post #43:
    you can't rule it out unless you have entered into a Holy Ghost experience, you aren't even qualified to discuss it.
    The thing about you is that you are mistakenly convinced your argument is an either/or when concerning your god.

Again with the crap.
    You make this assumption based upon your not being able to accept that there are in fact some people who do understand/know, yet disagree with it.
    Until such time as you can get over this, you will forever be stuck in this rut and only successful when preaching to the choir.

Prove it.
    Fact is, there is nothing about Jesus anywhere that does not use the Scriptures the Bible is based upon as it's source.
    As I already stated:
    of course the book that is attempting to sell you a particular God is going to promote only that God
    But that is a topic for another thread.

To you perhaps.
    But your redefining the word to fit your needs does nothing to help anyone other than those in your choir.

If you were to call a tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?
    Four.
    Calling a tail a leg does not make the tail a leg.

Same thing applies here.

Oh.
    You still trying to convince us that your religion is not a religion?

STILL GOING.
    I wonder who it is you are trying to convince.
    Me or yourself?

LOL
    another convenient out for you.
    Yet here you are trying to shove your "personal revelation" ( seems to me the Bible has something to say about 'personal revelations') down everyone else's throat.

I am not wrong.
    That is what you cannot accept.
    That disagreement with you does not equate being wrong.
    That disagreement with your deity does not equate being wrong.

This is YOUR hang up.
    Not mine.
    But you feel free to tell yourself whatever you must in order to get by.

2. ~Amin~

~Amin~ God is the King

Ratings:
    +27
    NNOOOO this is ALL your OWN hangup.
    You can turn all you've said in this thread
    or anywhere in this forum and flip it on
    yourself.

3. Mestemia

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,327
    Ah yes, once again with your refusal to see anything that you dislike or do not understand.
    And yes, I did notice that yet once again you did not address the points in question.
    You are rather the expert at avoidance.

• Like Like x 1
  4. roli

roli Born Again,Spirit Filled

Ratings:
    +104
    I don't have a hang up with you or any other skeptic,regarding my belief.
    I don't loose any sleep over inflamatory remarks or ridicule because of where I stand.
    I understand the things of God which are far more important than having some intellectual arguement with you
    The things concerning the Kingdom of God,you will ever comprehend in your intellect, it's amusing to watch unbelievers,skeptics profess to speak of God as if they know him or the things in his word.Jesus speaks that it is impossible for them to know these things. Ouch!!!!
    This world that will soon pass away, it's not my home,arguing my position and having empty debates with you are exahusting.
    One thing I will say,is, the Holy Spirit reveals the truth upon conversion,not my job

A man who does not have the Holy Spirit will quite possibly understand some basic truths in the bible ,but the mysteries of God are hidden from skeptics and unbelievers
    So unless you recieve Christ it will just be another relgious book and not revelation from God.
    1Cr 2:14But people who aren't Christians can't understand these truths from God's Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them because only those who have the Spirit can understand what the Spirit means.

5. roli

Ratings:
    +104
    Who peed in your cereal anyways???????
    You sound like one miserable wretch , do you hold any conversations with anyone
    Or are you just out to insult with sarcasim and make aggressive attacks on every thread.

6. Autodidact

Autodidact Intentionally Blank

Ratings:
    +1,560
    roli: Read carefully. He's accusing you of avoiding the questions. Did you notice that your reply does exactly that? Kinda proves his point.

7. Scott1

Scott1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +950
    Oh vey... this thread has become a trainwreck.... roli, you've gotta just take a minute and read their replies...

You and I disagree on just about everything as it relates to Christianity.... are you just going to tell ME I don't "have the Holy Spirit" either? Eventually you're gonna have to learn a new way to communicate with people.

Peace in Christ,
    Scott

8. UnityNow101

UnityNow101 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +150
    I used to believe a lot like Roli before I began to look into different religions and see that most followers of those religions were exhibiting a greater amount of love than the people in my particular religious group at the time, which was a group of born-again Christians. Always remember the fruits of the Spirit, which were CLEARLY laid out in the Bible;

"The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."..Galatians 5

We cannot tell anyone that they do not have a connection with the Holy Spirit when they are expressing the fruits of that very Holy Spirit, correct?

9. bradleykavin

bradleykavin Member

Ratings:
    +4
    you dont know, thats the idea of religion. to believe, what is no real evidence. not to say i necessarily agree with the idea, but, that seems to be the definition to me

10. love

love tri-polar optimist

Ratings:
    +117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by love [​IMG]
    I don't believe I would recognize the world I would be in if the bible did not exist.

I am probably as skeptical as any one on RF. I have questioned authority all my life, many times at great cost. I still have more questions than answers.
    The Bible exists, but I am no scholar. I know that there is a spirit, or consciousness within me that was not always there. I see things differently than before. When I look at the Ten Commandments I know this is good. I know love is good and hate is bad. Whether I would know this or not without the Bible I cannot say, but the Bible did not change my heart. God did.

Quote:
    Can the roar of the sea or the thunder of the heavens be silenced?
    I think I understand what you are saying, but my point was it would be easier to silence the roar of the sea and the thunder of the heavens than to stop God from reaching His people.

11. love

love tri-polar optimist

Ratings:
    +117
    1 registered members and 0 visiting guests and/or search index spiders
    Most users ever online was 432 (03-02-2006 at 12:41 AM).
    It sure is lonely in here this morning.

12. ~Amin~

~Amin~ God is the King

Ratings:
    +27
    Autodidact YOU go back and read again, this was directed at
    me not at Roli.

13. blueman

blueman God's Warrior

Ratings:
    +66
    The argument for the Holy Scriptures being the authentic Word from God are tied to a few factors:

(1) Over 40 independent authors from all walks of life (kings, poets, prophets, judges, musicians, military officials, fisherman, scholars) were used over a span of one thousand years to deliver God's message

(2) Historical facts regarding people places and things

(3) Archeological Evidence

(4) Common theme threaded over the period in question that underscores the following:

- Love
    - Disobedience
    - Judgement
    - Redemption
    - Opposition by a villian (Satan)
    - Victory through a hero (Jesus)
    - Final Judgement

There is no other book like it in either ancient or modern history. That's the basis for it's impact and authenticity.

14. Autodidact

Autodidact Intentionally Blank

Ratings:
    +1,560
    (1) It was written by a whole bunch of people. So?
    (2) Gone with the Wind. War and Peace
    (3) The Iliad.
    (4)
    - I am the only true God. Worship me or be punished.
    - This is what you can eat, wear, grow, have sex with. This is what you can't.
    - This land which I gave you, kill everyone in it. The land He gave us; we killed everyone in it. Now it's ours.
    - Here's how to make the correct animal sacrifices to me.

There an awful lot in it that looks like other people's myths of the time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. roli

Ratings:
    +104

16. Mestemia

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,327
    And here once again you dictate to me what I do and do not understand.
    What a nice out you have developed for yourself.
    To bad you are mistaken.

Apparently your job is to tell others what they do and do not know regardless of the truth.

What does this have to do with me?

Actually, it IS you who needs to go back and read again.
    It was a direct reply to roli.

17. TashaN

TashaN Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,247
    Religion:
    Islam
    That means, anyone can claim authority and that God is talking to him. Don't you think that this might be so tempting for human to write their own writings and claim it to be from God?

18. blackout

blackout Violet.

Ratings:
    +2,518
    GC....
    Quag...
    what they said.;)
    (why should I bother. I couldn't say it any better.)

19. Mr. Peanut

Mr. Peanut Active Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Hi! I think some religious books contain false statements and must be compared and evaluated. One thing different about the Bible is all the prophecies. No other book dares tell the future, as it says:

And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken? When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

Cheers!

20. Mestemia

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,327
    If self fulfilling prophecies are enough for you, then by all means, go with it.
    But to make the claim that the Bible foretold the future is just plain being dishonest.
    I can make the exact same claim about modern day horoscopes and be just as correct.