• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you cook steak?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Simple question for those non veggie cooks, how do you cook steak.

My method is a hot frying pan, a hunk of steak of your choice, (i usually use rump or sirloin, occasionally ribeye). Seasoned with salt and ground black pepper. Just a dash of olive oil in the pan, when it starts to smoke throw the steak in.

Cook one side without moving the steak for...

1 minutes = blue
1.5 minutes = rare
2 minutes = medium
2.5 minutes= burnt well done

For thicker steaks add a few seconds if you wish.

Flip the steak over and cook that side for the same time.

Take the steak out of the pan immediately and allow it to rest for a couple of minutes before serving.

There are other methods, grilling, oven baking etc, and that's what i want to know. What do you think the best way to cook a steak to cime out juicy and tender.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Cook'n is wimin's work.
So I merely specify how I want it.
And that is well done....no red inside.
But the best way to have steak is to
grind it up, mash it into patty, &
cook it til well done. Then it gets
a slice of raw onion & tomater
betwixt 2 Dave's Killer Bread buns.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yer durn toot'n!
I'm so glad I'm not French, & only able
to enjoy that snooty goormay food.
I'm a lowly gourmand with no need to
impress anyone with foodie pix.

We had chicken curry tonight, gourmet it isn't.

And yesterday we had sausage, chips (french fries to you), beans and egg, again, not gourmet.

So you can live in france and still enjoy your simple culinary pleasures

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We had chicken curry tonight, gourmet it isn't.

And yesterday we had sausage, chips (french fries to you), beans and egg, again, not gourmet.

So you can live in france and still enjoy your simple culinary pleasures
Well, duh!
You keep tell'n my yer a Brit, not a Frog!
No one loves low brow kwizeen more than hillbillies & Limeys.
But it must be tough in France, being a food desert.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

My method is a hot frying pan, a hunk of steak of your choice, (i usually use rump or sirloin, occasionally ribeye). Seasoned with salt and ground black pepper. Just a dash of olive oil in the pan, when it starts to smoke throw the steak in.

1 minutes = blue
1.5 minutes = rare
2 minutes = medium

Take the steak out of the pan immediately and allow it to rest for a couple of minutes before serving.

There are other methods, grilling, oven baking etc, and that's what i want to know. What do you think the best way to cook a steak tcime out juicy and tender.
My method is similar to yours (although I like to grill over charcoal as well), and I'll often season them with red pepper, onion, and garlic. I also like to top them with sauteed mushrooms and worcestershire sauce.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Cook'n is wimin's work.
So I merely specify how I want it.
And that is well done....no red inside.
But the best way to have steak is to
grind it up, mash it into patty, &
cook it til well done. Then it gets
a slice of raw onion & tomater
betwixt 2 Dave's Killer Bread buns.

@ChristineM, you took the word right out of my mouth -- seriously, that was my immediate response before I read yours!

How I cook a steak depends on the steak, but in all cases, my preference is for medium rare (internal temperature 130F/54C], with a well-seared (maillard reaction] exterior. Therefore, I rarely use steaks under 1 in/2.5cm thick. I prefer strip loins and rib-eyes, which are always quite tender and easy to deal with. Always remember to salt your steak well with sea salt or kosher salt a good 4 hours before cooking. The salt is hydroscopic, will draw the meat juices out and then be reabsorbed, so that when cooked, your steak is well-seasoned throughout.

However, if I have a bavette, skirt or hanger steak (cut from the flank steak and very, very tasty), that can never be 1 in thick, so I need a very hot pan and the steak, which I salted a minimum of 6 hours before, a meat thermometer, and a mere 2 minutes per side (a little more if it's thicker). But I stop cooking when the thermometer hits 125F/52C because the interior will continue to go up while it's resting.

Then I slice the steak across the grain (so those I'm serving don't make the mistake of cutting it with the grain and setting themselves up for a chewing marathon).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
@Evangelicalhumanist ordering a burger...
OIP.nMcp2PkXJrpcPM44FeL4RwHaG6

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Actually, when it comes to a burger, I am a huge fan of the "smashburger," with caramelized onions, comte cheese and a brioche bun.

A smashburger is just two 3-ounce patties of 80/20 ground beef (never lean), smashed very thin and grilled fast to get that great maillard crust but without overcooking the interior. I make them more than I make steak.

You can find great recipes online.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Actually, when it comes to a burger, I am a huge fan of the "smashburger," with caramelized onions, comte cheese and a brioche bun.

A smashburger is just two 3-ounce patties of 80/20 ground beef (never lean), smashed very thin and grilled fast to get that great maillard crust but without overcooking the interior. I make them more than I make steak.

You can find great recipes online.
Yup....yer a foodie.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

1 minutes = blue
1.5 minutes = rare
2 minutes = medium

There are other methods, grilling, oven baking etc, and that's what i want to know. What do you think the best way to cook a steak to cime out juicy and tender.
Grill over real charcoal.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And if I cooked for you, you would bow down and worship me!
Your cook'n makes people double over,
& pray for relief?

I just don't eat steak. Haven't had it in
many years. Mrs Revolt's cooking, & the
eateries we patronize use cut up meat.
We're just not real Ameristanians.