• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Jews feel about their theology seeming to be outdated?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Are the Jews that live in New York delighted that they're not obligated to keep the Sabbath, since you say it's only for those living in Eretz Yisrael?
I did not say nor imply that.

The issue of those of us living in the diaspora relates to our dispersion whereas we still had the obligation of keeping Shabbat. Since travel by ship from Europe to the Americas, for example, did not involve a change in which day was which, it was not difficult for us to keep the same pattern.

Zog Has-fallen

A Christian Truther
And the riddle requires that the Jews meeting up half way around the world, met at a place that had no other Jews there, that let them know when Shabbat was starting at local time.

In other words, the riddle requires a set of contrived circumstances that could never exist in real life. And then you wonder how Judaism in reality has survived and kept Shabbat??

Contrived riddles don't set policy.
I can only testify that I was intensely overwhelmed by the mathematically beautiful and inescapable logic for months. And I was so devastated by the argument that I renounced my faith in Seventh-day Adventism. The Tanakh says nothing about a who gets there first policy. So I've concluded that God purposely planned and inserted obsolescence into the Old Covenant. As I see it, an inevitable radical transition was to surface eventually and it indisputably fits the New Testament paradigm perfectly.

Amending the Tanakh doesn't work for me.

Last edited:

Akivah

I was intensely overwhelmed by the mathematically beautiful and inescapable logic for months and so devastated by the argument that I renounced my faith in Seventh-day Adventism. The Tanakh says nothing about a who gets there first policy. So I've concluded that God purposely planned and inserted obsolescence into the Old Covenant and the inevitable radical transition that would surface eventually indisputably fits the New Testament paradigm perfectly.

The Tanakh doesn't say a lot of stuff. That's why G-d told us to listen to our sages for how to apply His Law to varying facts and circumstances.

rosends

As I've already explained, the mathematical theorem is based on the definition of the Sabbath as given in the Tanakh. Judaism has no power over the obvious meaning of that text. Furthermore, weren't all my quotes from the Torah?
The tanach is not the same as the torah and taking a translated verse in vacuo and trying to derive a conclusion from it is foolish.

The mathematical theorem is based on a misunderstanding you have about Jewish law. You have no power over the meaning of what the text says as it exists in the cultural and theological context of those to whom it was given.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Thank you. It was kind of you to acknowledge that conclusions depend upon presuppositions and that my reasoning "is not inherently wrong." The fault, you affirm, lies in my premise. And just so everyone understands our agreement, that premise you reject is how the Sabbath is defined in your Tanakh.
But thankfully, my Tanach comes with a handy-dandy guide for making sure everything works out a-ok. So worry not, we're doing just fine!

rosends

I can only testify that I was intensely overwhelmed by the mathematically beautiful and inescapable logic for months. And I was so devastated by the argument that I renounced my faith in Seventh-day Adventism. The Tanakh says nothing about a who gets there first policy. So I've concluded that God purposely planned and inserted obsolescence into the Old Covenant. As I see it, an inevitable radical transition was to surface eventually and it indisputably fits the New Testament paradigm perfectly.
Well them you had better renounce your Judaism!

Zog Has-fallen

A Christian Truther
The tanach is not the same as the torah and taking a translated verse in vacuo and trying to derive a conclusion from it is foolish.

The mathematical theorem is based on a misunderstanding you have about Jewish law. You have no power over the meaning of what the text says as it exists in the cultural and theological context of those to whom it was given.
Catholics make a similar same claim about the New Testament gospels and epistles. Nevertheless, there's an abundance of evidence that the New Testament Scriptures do not mean what the Catholic Church says it means.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Catholics make a similar same claim about the New Testament gospels and epistles. Nevertheless, there's an abundance of evidence that the New Testament Scriptures do not mean what the Catholic Church says it means.
It seems that you like to state your opinions as if they're slam-dunk facts.

Zog Has-fallen

A Christian Truther
...taking a translated verse in vacuo and trying to derive a conclusion from it is foolish.
... You have no power over the meaning of what the text says as it exists in the cultural and theological context of those to whom it was given.
Specifying how the Sabbath might have been determined in ancient times for hypothetical residents living 50 miles west and 50 miles east of Jerusalem might turn into a charade sounding even more foolish.

Zog Has-fallen

A Christian Truther
It is obviously my hope that some learned Rabbi will tell me if hypothetical Jewish travelers or Jewish residents living 50 miles west and 50 miles east of Jerusalem in ancient times were required to keep the Sabbath and how the Sabbath should have been determined at these locations.