• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Jews feel about their theology seeming to be outdated?

Curious George

Veteran Member
Zog, New York and Jerusalem are both places that exist simultaneously on this planet. The sun sets 7 hours later in NY than it does is Jerusalem, which means the day changes 7 hours apart. All Jews in NY will always begin the Sabbath at exactly the same time, even if they traveled in opposite directions from Jerusalem departing at the same time. Why? Because Jews observe the Sabbath according to where they are, not where they come from.

That's how it works.
Stop confusing the subject with all of this logic and reality.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Q. How do Jews feel about their theology seeming to be outdated?

A. Probably no differently than the way Christians feel about their theology being outdated.

I disagree, albeit from a position of little actual knowledge.

The Jewish People are not much like Christians in that regard. Come to think of it, that is one of the main contrasts between the two groups.

They have a strong sense of mutual responsibility and commitment that seems to overcome most actual theological issues.

Christians could do a lot worse than emulating their example on that matter.

Poisonshady313

I say again: I mean every seventh setting of the sun local time.

A place is where it is. It never goes anywhere. The sun rises, the sun sets. Rinse and repeat, and the 7th day is Sabbath.

This is dependent on the place that tracks time. A Jew observes the Sabbath according to the place that he is. Not how many sunsets he personally witnesses.

If that were the case, Jews in Alaska would only be able to observe the Sabbath once every 7 years. That's just freaking stupid.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I say again: I mean every seventh setting of the sun local time.
So in your theory if Jews were in a position where the sun didn't rise for a month they would be exempt from Shabbat requirements? Or if it just so happened that fateful last sunset was on Shabbat they would have perpetual Shabbat?

Zog Has-fallen

A Christian Truther
So in your theory if Jews were in a position where the sun didn't rise for a month they would be exempt from Shabbat requirements? Or if it just so happened that fateful last sunset was on Shabbat they would have perpetual Shabbat?
Shubert's theorem only concerns travelers traveling east and west from Jerusalem and keeping track of every seventh setting of the sun local time. The obvious problem with Alaska and the northern and southern poles only compounds the already unresolvable difficulty with the International Date Line.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Shubert's theorem only concerns travelers traveling east and west from Jerusalem and keeping track of every seventh setting of the sun local time.
Wait, wait, so the principles of magic only occur during movement...ok, If someone was traveling at the rotation of the earth speed and never approached night they would be exempt from Shabbat...

Curious George

Veteran Member
Shubert's theorem only concerns travelers traveling east and west from Jerusalem and keeping track of every seventh setting of the sun local time. The obvious problem with Alaska and the northern and southern poles only compounds the already unresolvable difficulty with the International Date Line.
How much is the monetary award for disproving this again?

Poisonshady313

Shubert's theorem only concerns travelers traveling east and west from Jerusalem and keeping track of every seventh setting of the sun local time.

It is not incumbent on the Jews to keep track of every setting of the sun while they travel. The place they travel to already keeps track of when the sun rises and sets there, and which day it is. The Sabbath happens every 7 days in New York. The fact that it happens 7 hours later in NY than it does in Jerusalem is irrelevant. The travelers from Jerusalem will observe the Sabbath in New York on New York time, not on Jerusalem time. Because what matters is what time and day it is where they are. Not where they're from.

Get it yet?

Last edited:

Levite

Higher and Higher
I am kind of in awe of the relentless idiocy of this. It never fails to amuse me when non-Jews graniloquently and condescendingly inform Jews that we're doing it wrong, and (surprise, surprise) only some non-Jew has the answer to "how to Judaism correctly."

Zog Has-fallen

A Christian Truther
Wait, wait, so the principles of magic only occur during movement...ok, If someone was traveling at the rotation of the earth speed and never approached night they would be exempt from Shabbat...
The riddle concerns Jewish travelers leaving town for good, going east and west from Jerusalem, at the end of Passion Week. I believe it's safe to say that they didn't carry any watches or clocks with them.

Zog Has-fallen

A Christian Truther
I am kind of in awe of the relentless idiocy of this. It never fails to amuse me when non-Jews graniloquently and condescendingly inform Jews that we're doing it wrong, and (surprise, surprise) only some non-Jew has the answer to "how to Judaism correctly."
Is that what you've imagined from what I've written?

Poisonshady313

The riddle concerns Jewish travelers leaving town for good, going east and west from Jerusalem, at the end of Passion Week. I believe it's safe to say that they didn't carry any watches or clocks with them.
If they meet up in the same place at the same time in some other part of the world, they are going to observe the same day as the Sabbath, even if half of them are experiencing some sort of jet lag.

faroukfarouk

The Jews and Muslims follow the lunar calendar and you don't need watches and clocks to figure out your days.You look at the moon.
Further the Jews are followers of the teachings of their Prophets and they not going to change their teachings because someone feels its outdated.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I believe it’s fair to say that all Christians recognize the incredible theological transition that happened between the Old and the New Testament. For example, Article 10 in The Millerite Adventist Creed says:

Many of God's Old Testament laws (Exodus 12:1-28, Leviticus 16) and covenants (Genesis 17:1-14, Exodus 31:12-18, Exodus 34:28, Deuteronomy 4:13, Deuteronomy 9:9,11, Ezekiel 20:12,20) emphasized symbolic rites that foreshadowed a new paradigm of unexpected spiritual truths (Luke 22:14-20, Matthew 26:26-29, Luke 12:1, Mark 8:15, Romans 2:29, Colossians 2:11-12, 1 Corinthians 5:6-8, 1 Peter 3:21, Revelation 14:7, etc.).

Examples

Indisputably, God once said, "My covenant in your flesh is to be an everlasting covenant" (Genesis 17:1-14). And the Sabbath command seems just as inviolable from an Old Testament perspective. But the New Testament clearly spiritualizes and reinterprets their original meanings.

Romans 2:29
"But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that which is of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter; and his praise is not from men, but from God."

Likewise, the Sabbath is interpreted in the New Testament (Hebrews 4:9) as a type of God's rest that we should enter into 24/seven.

Hebrews 4:1-3,10-11
Therefore, let us fear if, while a promise remains of entering His rest, any one of you may seem to have come short of it. 2 For indeed we have had good news preached to us, just as they also; but the word they heard did not profit them, because it was not united by faith in those who heard. 3 For we who have believed enter that rest ...

10 For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His. 11 Therefore let us be diligent to enter that rest, so that no one will fall, through following the same example of disobedience.

What is surprising and irrefutable (because of Shubert's International Date Line Theorem) is that it's impossible to define the Sabbath day on a round planet. So the unmistakable conclusion seems to be that God purposely planned and inserted obsolescence into the Old Covenant.
I have three answers to this question.
1. I believe it’s fair to say that all Muslims recognize the incredible theological transition that happened between the New Testament and the Qur'an.
So how do Christians feel about their theology seeming to be outdated?

2. I believe it's fair to say that all Baha'i recognize the incredible theological transition that happened between the New Testament and the Aqdas.

3. I believe it's fair to say that all Mormons recognize the incredible theological transition that happened between the New Testament and the Book of Mormon.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Try to summon a courageous panel of Rabbis and I will ask Mr. Shubert to publish the proof of his mathematical theorem online. Then we'll see the Rabbis try to grapple with the certainty of high school mathematics. That will be very entertaining.
I think you are suffering from "nobody can understand my brilliance" syndrome. We actually do understand what you are saying Mr. Zog. We are just telling you that your premise is incorrect and the calculation based on that premise is not inherently wrong, but wrong by extension of the premise. And when I say we I mean the Jews and non-Jews, theist and atheist that have responded to you.

Flankerl

Good that the beginning of the Shabbat has nothing to do with a specific time but with stars and sunlight.

Anyway stay mad OP.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
If they ever tried to conform Shabbat seventh day to the specific Hebrew calendar, in conformity with Jerusalem, they don't seem to now.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
True, but you must admit that on the relentless idiocy scale he's managed to peg the meter.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה

I assume the OP realizes that when they do a head count at the home they will come looking.