1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured How can you accept evolution and still have a spiritual reality, and/or a God faith

Discussion in 'Evolution Vs. Creationism' started by osgart, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,815
    Religion:
    None
    Post 403 is very short and to the, ah, point.

Took you less time to read than to complain here.

i did not "allege" your falsehood.. That is quite dishonourable,
    using such weasel words to try to get out of the
    FACT that you simply made up things I allegedly said, but in
    fact did not.

TRY THIS:

Dont make things up and you may be shocked
    at how the corrections stop.

#421 Audie, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. rrobs

rrobs Active Member

Ratings:
    +215
    Religion:
    Christian
    That would be alleged falsehoods I admitted to. They include pretty much every word I've written. There's undoubtedly even something wrong in that statement. I'm sure someone will enlighten me on it though.

3. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,712
    Religion:
    Atheist
    When using a source one always needs to link it, that is part of your homework. That way people can check to see if your claim is accurate or honest. If you had done so we would have seen that you were not exactly honest with this quote out of context. Here is a fuller version of that quote:

"In a passage of Zhang Heng's cosmogony not translated by Needham, Zhang himself says: "Heaven takes its body from the Yang, so it is round and in motion. Earth takes its body from the Yin, so it is flat and quiescent". The point of the egg analogy is simply to stress that the earth is completely enclosed by heaven, rather than merely covered from above as the Kai Tian describes. Chinese astronomers, many of them brilliant men by any standards, continued to think in flat-earth terms until the seventeenth century; this surprising fact might be the starting-point for a re-examination of the apparent facility with which the idea of a spherical earth found acceptance in fifth-century BC Greece."

Flat Earth - Wikipedia

As you can see in context the belief that the Earth was flat by those astronomers was not a scientific one, but a religious one based upon the belief in Yin and Yang.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,712
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Nothing alleged about them. They were explained to you at the time.

5. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,815
    Religion:
    None

Ah so, a little not-displaced satire. Yes.

I expect you would find it would be how many
    people see things.

I have heard it said Europeans did the natives a great
    favour, showing up as they did.

6. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,815
    Religion:
    None
    Intellectual dishonesty from the astronomers,
    And
    The one who brought it up.

These religious folk, Honestly!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. rrobs

rrobs Active Member

Ratings:
    +215
    Religion:
    Christian
    Read my post 406, I quoted something you said to someone else regarding intellectual bankruptcy and how I took that to me being flat broke intellectually i.e not knowing anything. I even admitted to making an assumption that I was included in those intellectually bankrupts who believe the Bible, so I left it open to correction, which you didn't do. What makes that dishonorable?

You know what? I have to tell you now, this whole thing is getting boring. I'm moving on. I won't be reading any more in this thread. I'm sure when I'm gone there'll be plenty of comments on how I'm running away, can't take the heat, that all Christians do the same thing etc. etc. Undoubtedly somebody will say something like that, so I just want to be honest and let you and everybody else know that I won't be around to read it. I'll just get the message ahead of time. Everybody can have the last word because I'm out of here!

Maybe some other conversation in another thread down the road, but this one is over for me. Take care...

8. oldbadger

oldbadger Skanky Old Mongrel!

Ratings:
    +4,222
    Religion:
    deist
    I don't think so.
    Deism and Theism are quite different, hence the differing titles.

9. Hockeycowboy

Hockeycowboy Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,904
    Religion:
    Christian
    No, again, it doesn’t. Where do you think the light in the second Day comes from?
    It’s the Sun, grief! It just wasn’t able to be seen, till the fourth Day.

Everything in Genesis 1 is explained to us from the perspective of an observer, as if by a person on the Earth. It’s simple to deduce, by meditating on the account.

You probably think Genesis is talking about literal days, too.... but Paul’s commentary in Hebrews 4, regarding God’s Rest Day (the seventh), reveals it isn’t. In fact, that Rest Day is still continuing, according to Paul.

What do you think the import of Luke 10:21 is?

10. oldbadger

oldbadger Skanky Old Mongrel!

Ratings:
    +4,222
    Religion:
    deist
    Sure.
    No probs.

Lovely! So at least you can't accuse me of plagiarism, or copying others' ideas! Excellent.

Huh? Wot?

Oh..... I see....... so you think that you know it all....... hmmmmm.

I wouldn't expect you to figure that 'The reason for the existence of all' can so easily be be called ........ God. Nor could you ever disprove it.

11. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,712
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Then why does it say that God created them on the fourth Day? Understanding that the story is mythical explains how they did not associate the Sun, which is bright but if one thinks it is small it would not be sufficient to light the day, with daytime. And you are merely reinterpreting the Bible after the fact. Luke does not support your claim. I have a feeling that Paul does not either.

12. exchemist

exchemist Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,449
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    Well that is excellent, as it is what I have maintained all along. The evolutionary view is consistent with the bible.

As a Christian, one can see the universe as having been created with certain governing principles and laws which enabled - perhaps even mandated - life to arise. And then the world as we know it grew and unfolded, quite possibly in accordance with the view of modern science (though of course a religious text will quite properly not commit itself to endorsing a particular theory).

13. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,815
    Religion:
    None
    Wise , for someone so confused.

You figured out that "god" (aka "some reason")
    cannot be disproved!!

Like Batboy and his secret lab on the
    moon!

God and Batboy share two iortant things
    in common.

They cant be disproved.
    Zero evidence for their existence.

14. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,815
    Religion:
    None
    One can see?

Isnt that

"One can imagine.."

15. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,815
    Religion:
    None
    When you stop making things up you will find
    things go better. Good luck.

16. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,712
    Religion:
    Atheist
    His version of "god" is worse than something that cannot be disproved. It is on the order of redefining any number greater than one as "two". The definition used is of no value in explaining anything.

17. exchemist

exchemist Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,449
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    The expression "one can see [such and such] as [such and such]" is well understood. It acknowledges a point of view that is valid in terms of the argument under discussion, without prejudging whether to endorse that point of view or not.

It is a useful turn of phrase when one does not wish to make a tendentious statement. That is why I chose it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +11,950
    Religion:
    Catholic-- liberal & ecumenical
    I am not Catholic but I taught Christian theology for many years, and I hate to say this but simply do not have much of a background in theology or church history. Therefore, I'm not going to waste my time or yours since you seem impervious to objective information.

Catholics pray through the saints and through Jesus, although by far the vast majority of liturgical prayers are directly to God. Maybe go to a mass and see for yourself. I'm going to add another post after this to show you that what you believe is simply nonsense that you've seemingly have been effectively brainwashed to believe.

And when you get around to actually studying church history, you will understand how condescending, judgmental, and idiotic the above is. You seemingly can't get it through your head that the CC chose your Bible and has been studying and teaching it for far longer than the probable Protestant church you likely belong to, such as what I grew up with and left because of their dishonesty. I no longer am affiliated with any denomination.

[continued]

• Like Like x 1
  19. metis

Ratings:
    +11,950
    Religion:
    Here you can find the order of the mass, although there are some additional prayers to God that are sometimes injected depending on the liturgical calendar: Order of Mass

20. metis

Ratings:
    +11,950
    Religion:
    "Theism" is the broad category that includes any believe in a deity or deities, and "Deism" is one form of theism.