1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured How can you accept evolution and still have a spiritual reality, and/or a God faith

Discussion in 'Evolution Vs. Creationism' started by osgart, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,029
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Muslims are past experts at reinterpreting the Quran to match the science they are willing to accept. How many "scientific miracles of the Quran " have we been subjected to lately??

Neither you nor I have been too impressed when theists have tried to mix science and religion. All that happens is that we see how lacking their knowledge is.

2. rrobs

rrobs Active Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Religion:
    Christian
    I went to a private school that began teaching science in the 6th grade. I went to college (Georgia Tech) and took 2 years of biology plus other sciences including 2 quarters of evolution. Now, I'm not claiming to be the world's premier scientist, but I probably know more than the average guy, albeit less than you and perhaps others here. The point is, you shouldn't be telling me I know nothing and therefore should not take part a scientific discussion.

What?
    Never tried to teach you science. As we've established, you have more knowledge than I in that field. If I ever wanted to learn more about science perhaps I'd go to you. What I offered to teach was the Bible and that is something about which I know more than you. It doesn't make me any better than you, I've simply spent more time in the subject and I therefore am better versed than you.

You mentioned you read the Bible 2 times. Then you must know about the mystery Paul revealed concerning the Jews and the Gentiles. I would be curious as to your thoughts on that mystery. Do you know what the Bereans did to cause God to call them more noble than those in Thessalonica? Both are in the Bible though, and, yes, I do know it. I'm going out on a limb here by saying this, but you probably don't even know what I'm talking about. So I could in fact teach you something about the Bible. Why is that so offensive to you?
    What?
    The key word there is "if." Your conclusion is based on that "if" being in the negative, that I can't teach you anything. But if it's actually true, if I can teach you about the Bible, then your premise is false. I explained above how my knowledge of the Bible is indeed more extensive than yours, much like your knowledge of science is superior to mine.

#402 rrobs, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  3. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,296
    Religion:
    None

Did I say you know "nothing"?

No, I did not.

Did I say you should not take part?

No.

So, you have no point.

4. rrobs

rrobs Active Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Religion:
    Christian
    I'm not so sure I was unclear about anything. What did I say that would contradict what you just said? I know you went into more detail, but that doesn't negate anything I said. At least I don't think so.

5. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,296
    Religion:
    None
    Those people may have been teachers,
    but they sure were not science teachers.

6. rrobs

rrobs Active Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Religion:
    Christian
    I stand corrected. You didn't say, "rrobs knows nothing."

But you did say,

"Yet they (I assume I'm part of "they") insist it must be, is, there. Why? Coz they choose
    to say the bible tells 'em so.

Talk about intellectual bankrutcy!"

Excuse me for mistaking your compliment for a denunciation. I just misunderstood. Glad you're on my side.

7. rrobs

rrobs Active Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Religion:
    Christian
    Scientist used to have evidence of a flat earth.

8. Kangaroo Feathers

Kangaroo Feathers Hardline moderate

Ratings:
    +5,783
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Oh yes? Which ones? What evidence?

9. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,296
    Religion:
    None
    There were two things, not just one, that you falsely
    claimed.

As for the thing about "on your side", you are
    continuing your false attributions.

The only thing you got right (actually only
    half right) is "I misunderstood",

I say half, coz you still are wrong.

10. Kangaroo Feathers

Ratings:
    +5,783
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I believe it "negates", or rather "corrects" the misunderstanding apparent in the last two sentences of the post I desponded to. Simply put, improved accuracy doesn't invalidate earlier understanding. You seem to be implying that it does.

11. rrobs

rrobs Active Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Religion:
    Christian
    "Chinese astronomers, many of them brilliant men by any standards, continued to think in flat-earth terms until the seventeenth century" Wikipedia

I'm not sure what the evidence was, nor am I interested in learning what it was, but they must have had something. Like Wiki says, many were brilliant by anybody's standard. I'm sure you could find a lot more info in our Google Overlord. Google knows all. :)

12. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,296
    Religion:
    None
    Even if there were truth in what he says,
    even if science existed then, there is a amusing
    tacit acceptance of the fact that one has to go
    back hundreds of years to find "science" operating
    on a level comparable to that achieved by todays
    creationists. (Aka "creo" for those who do not
    even know that)

13. Kangaroo Feathers

Ratings:
    +5,783
    Religion:
    Catholic
    And these Chinese astronomers were scientists, were they? They utilised the scientific method to arrive at their conclusions?

14. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,296
    Religion:
    None
    Say, Arm! Those are quite the quotes, "ungrateful indians"
    and so on. Where'd you get those?

15. Kangaroo Feathers

Ratings:
    +5,783
    Religion:
    Catholic
    [QUOTE="rrobs, post: 5681651]
    I'm not sure what the evidence was, nor am I interested in learning what it was, :)[/QUOTE] how very Freudian.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. rrobs

rrobs Active Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Religion:
    Christian
    Give me a break. Do you have any idea how many falsehoods I've allegedly fostered here? I miss one and you have to point it out to me! Gee, thanks. Don't know what I'd do without your input.
    So you're not on my side? Well, that just ruined my day. I was counting on your support.
    Thanks giving me credit for me being right about my misunderstanding (at least half right I guess, but I'll take whatever I can get).

17. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,029
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Nope, they never did.

Now you do not even appear to know what a scientist is or what science is for that matter.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,029
    Religion:
    Atheist
    At least you realize that you have made quite a few falsehoods. We make be making progress.

It appears that you do not like how others, even your fellow Christians, do not approve of your actions here. There is a simple cure.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kangaroo Feathers

Ratings:
    +5,783
    Religion:
    Catholic
    They're fictional book titles I made up to satirise the American tendency to sanitise, bowdlerise, self agrandise and mythologise their history.

20. rrobs

rrobs Active Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Religion:
    Christian
    how very Freudian.[/QUOTE]
    So there is nothing in the world that you a) don't know about and b) don't care to learn? You think you can learn the entire range of human knowledge? That's pretty good, but I'm not that smart. I can only learn a small part of that human knowledge and I choose what I want to learn and other things I just let go. How is that Freudian?