• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality observed in Animals: Not so Unnatural After All

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I was researching about homosexual tendencies in animals, and came across the following on Wikipedia:

Roy and Silo are Chinstrap Penguins who were a male-male pair in New York City's Central Park Zoo.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_and_Silo#cite_note-0

Roy and Silo met at the zoo and they began their relationship in 2004. The pair were observed trying to hatch a rock as if it were an egg. They also attempted to steal eggs from other penguin couples. When the zoo staff realized that Roy and Silo were both male, it occurred to them to give them the second egg of a mixed-gender penguin couple, a couple which previously had been unable to successfully hatch two eggs at a time. Roy and Silo hatched and raised the healthy young chick, a female named "Tango" by keepers

Additionally I found this:

Male homosexuality has been inferred in several species of dragonflies. A survey of damsel and dragonflies reveals characteristic cloacal pincher mating damage in 20–80 percent of the males, indicating a fairly high occurrence of sexual coupling between males.

Taken from: List of animals displaying homosexual behavior - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One might also find this interesting. List of mammals displaying homosexual behavior: List of mammals displaying homosexual behavior - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I would love to know what explanation the fundamentalist has for this. How can it be explained that all these animal species have homosexuals, if homosexuality is so unnatural? Sin, the devil?

Your thoughts?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
My thoughts? This shows absolutely nothing. Great, some animals show homosexual tendency; however, I think that is even overstepping the lines. Some animals have homosexual sex is basically all that can be said.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
My thoughts? This shows absolutely nothing. Great, some animals show homosexual tendency; however, I think that is even overstepping the lines. Some animals have homosexual sex is basically all that can be said.

It proves that homosexual behavior is not unnatural.

no-body

unfortunately it's a catch-22 if you bring this up to people who say "it's not natural" they will just say "we should compare people to animals?" and then cite pedophilia, rape, etc in the animal kingdom. You can't win because they've already made up their minds since it's not based on logic, it's about what their ancient book (supposedly) tells them to believe.

RitalinO.D.

unfortunately it's a catch-22 if you bring this up to people who say "it's not natural" they will just say "we should compare people to animals?"

Why wouldn't we compare the two? "God" created both man and beast. If it's so unnatural, and homosexuality is by their view, a matter of choice, I'd like to hear their explanation of this. Apparently animals now have the same cognitive capacity as humans.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
unfortunately it's a catch-22 if you bring this up to people who say "it's not natural" they will just say "we should compare people to animals?" and then cite pedophilia, rape, etc in the animal kingdom. You can't win because they've already made up their minds since it's not based on logic, it's about what their ancient book (supposedly) tells them to believe.

That is not the point.
Some ignorant people do use the argument that homosexual behavior is not present on other animals to back-up their claims that homosexuality is unnatural. ;)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And this is news?! Not to biologists. It's been known for decades that homosexuality was a normal variation throughout the more complex animals.

The point is, many anti gay groups use "unnatural" as their primary argument.

bhaktajan

It's been known for decades that 'rubbing genitals' was a normal variation throughout the more complex 'rubbing genitals' menu d'jour.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Not really. I have no problem with homosexuality, but the idea that animals do it means it is natural means little.

For this to be of importance, one would have to show that this homosexual behavior in animals is driven by the same thing it is driven by in humans. Is animal sexuality the same as human sexuality? Are animals homosexual or straight? Those would be two questions that would have to be answered first.

More so, not everything animals do is natural for humans to do. There is a difference.

proffesb

i have seen the unnatural argument used against contraception " condoms are not natural dogs don't use them" the response that animals are observed in homosexual is a great response to that one. If you are anti-contraception you are very likely more anti gay.

Last edited:

ejay286

If a gay person says they were born gay there's no logical reason not to believe them. There are things that ppl consider to be much more immoral than homosexuality such as murder and rape, and the people who do admit to doing these things more often than not will admit to simply choosing to do it rather than saying they were insane or something. So if you think gay people are immoral that doesn't mean a gay person wouldn't admit to choosing to be gay.

As far as homosexuality in the animal kingdom. There is not a single organism studied where homosexuality has not been found. This is not to say that every species in the world has a gay population, but that of those studied it has been found in all of them. But the evidence that should really convince someone that homosexuality is natural is that children raised by same sex couples are gay at the same proportion as the overall community. Also, Christians don't seem to be any less gay than the general population. If being gay were a choice, you'd undoubtedly see some decrease in homosexuality within the homes of those who grew up with the notion that it is somehow wrong.

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Not really. I have no problem with homosexuality, but the idea that animals do it means it is natural means little.

For this to be of importance, one would have to show that this homosexual behavior in animals is driven by the same thing it is driven by in humans. Is animal sexuality the same as human sexuality? Are animals homosexual or straight? Those would be two questions that would have to be answered first.

More so, not everything animals do is natural for humans to do. There is a difference.

if you had looked at my next post in this topic you would have avoided the trouble to post this. :p

Koldo said:
That is not the point.
Some ignorant people do use the argument that homosexual behavior is not present on other animals to back-up their claims that homosexuality is unnatural. ;)

I was reading that Roy and Silo children's book for my Early Childhood Education practicum, and it is one of the few LGBT oriented books that is actually appropriate for children (My Daddy's Roommate is horrible!).

Otherwise, I've heard that Roy and Silo divorced, and one of them went for a female penguin and the other has been single since. And their egg has hatched and grown beautifully.

sniper762

its also natural for animals to eat dung and their dead born.
im glad im a civilized human cild of god and above all that.

ejay286

its also natural for animals to eat dung and their dead born.
im glad im a civilized human cild of god and above all that.

1089w0p.gif