• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hinduism for the super liberal American female

Atman

I am not saying this is the teaching of Hinduism. But this is the general behavioral pattern of Hindus, so it's better to know all this; or one may become disappointed.
I agree that in some parts of India, there is a fair amount of people who sadly associate dark skin with being unattractive (keep in mind India was conquered by Indo-Iranians, Persian Muslims, and the British all of whom had lighter skin), but I'd say it is gross overestimate and an outright stereotype to claim most Hindus think this way.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Uh, that makes no sense. The priests at my local temple have dark brown skin. Most of the Indians I've come across have dark skin.

I don't think any such discrimination exists. At least I've never heard of it.

There is some discrimination, but it is localised within areas of India (and possibly surrounding countries). It is a cultural thing, not a religious discrimination. And it does not exist in most places. That is why someone in America would not have to concern themselves with it.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not saying this is the teaching of Hinduism. But this is the general behavioral pattern of Hindus, so it's better to know all this; or one may become disappointed.

Hi Chisti,
I am sure you have a good reason for thinking this, since you live in the place where Hindus may express this form of discrimination.
Just know that it is not a religious discrimination, but a cultural one held by certain (not all) Hindus in India.

For this reason, a person of African descent is perfectly capable of embracing the Hindu religion(s) without harassment in most western countries, and of course there is nothing within the scriptures to suggest that a black person cannot accept the truth of those scriptures. If Vishnu is God, for example, nobody is expected to deny it!

I hope that helps.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Chisti,

Sorry to say this, but Hinduism is not a suitable religion for a westerner, especially the liberal kind. Buddhism would be better.
Could you elaborate on how you have reached such a conclusion??
Kindly respond by sharing your concept of
1. religion
2. hinduism
3. buddhism
4. liberal women
5. westerner

Love & rgds

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
Hinduism doesn't have any strict dogma; it has guidelines, and it's up to us how many of the guidelines we wish to follow, and to what extent.

I think the major ones are just the Yamas and Niyamas, which basically boil down to leading a generally disciplined life.

Modern politics play absolutely no role in modern Hinduism as far as I'm concerned.

This is true, I have heard of cases when Brahmans have performed gay marriages stating "Marriage is a union of souls". So although interpretation is up to the person who interprets the vedas and upanishads, they are generally debatable.

FlyingTeaPot

That's because you're white (I am assuming). The OP said she was an African-American, so she has no chance. Hindus discriminate against them. I am not talking about caste. I am talking about the general hatred that Hindus have for dark-skinned people, so the OP is best advised not to approach Hindus and get hurt as a consequence.

That is a blanket statement, which has no basis in fact. I am sorry, but in general, Hindus do not have hatred for people based on skin-color, only based on their caste, which is rapidly deteriorating in modern India which is becoming more liberal. They recently changed the status of homosexuality to be legal in India.

FlyingTeaPot

I don't want to assume anything, so I must ask Chisti, do you think you are being absolutely unbiased on this matter given that you seem to be Pakistani and given that India and Pakistan have long had a history not unlike Israel and Palestine?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

Guys, just want to remind you all that this is a DIR and debating is not appropriate here. Debating may lead to posts being deleted.

DisgruntledMonotheist

How do you know?
Wow thanks for all the responses everyone. I wouldn't say that I am looking to convert to anything just yet but I am all about exploration. At some point, I'd love to visit a temple and maybe talk to someone or see what they do. I don't know what the general policy is on non-Hindus witnessing or entering a temple? Particularly in the US.....

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Wow thanks for all the responses everyone. I wouldn't say that I am looking to convert to anything just yet but I am all about exploration. At some point, I'd love to visit a temple and maybe talk to someone or see what they do. I don't know what the general policy is on non-Hindus witnessing or entering a temple? Particularly in the US.....

It should be fine. I know in India, some places only let Indians inside. But I've never heard of that form of racism occurring elsewhere (very rare).

DisgruntledMonotheist

How do you know?
I have another question.....some of you said that Hinduism is scientific? How is it scientific in your eyes? I know this is an involved question so feel free to mention books and I can check the libraries. If you are willing to discuss though, i would be most interested to hear!

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I wouldn't call Hinduism scientific- I wouldn't call any religion scientific. Religion deals with philosophy. I personally do not think that any ancient scripture would have been full of scientific formula and explanations that nobody would have understood.

However, there are things mentioned in Hindu scriptures that are pretty interesting considering that they match up nicely with more recent scientific discoveries. If you're interested in knowing of some examples, this thread will help:

http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...tific-miracles-hindu-scriptures-must-see.html

What you have to keep in mind is that Muslims and Christians are also known for presenting their scriptures as being 'scientific' in a similar way, but I've never come across examples from those people that were clear and very convincing.

Have you ever hear Carl Sagan's explanations in conjunction with Hinduism? Very interesting stuff.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

A general rule of thumb is leave your shoes outside, you may have to wash your feet before going in, but you generally just walk in.

I would highly recommend seeing if the Temples near you have websites, because if they do, they'll give you a good idea as to the policies.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I have another question.....some of you said that Hinduism is scientific? How is it scientific in your eyes? I know this is an involved question so feel free to mention books and I can check the libraries. If you are willing to discuss though, i would be most interested to hear!

I think the most scientific Hinduism really gets is in Raja/Kriya Yoga, so I'd look into that. Anything by Paramahamsa Yogananda should suffice in telling you what that's about (start with Autobiography of a Yogi).

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the most scientific Hinduism really gets is in Raja/Kriya Yoga, so I'd look into that. Anything by Paramahamsa Yogananda should suffice in telling you what that's about (start with Autobiography of a Yogi).

Ah yep, didn't think of that. The Science of Yoga is as scientific as it gets :D

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Wow thanks for all the responses everyone. I wouldn't say that I am looking to convert to anything just yet but I am all about exploration.
That's fine; life is exploration in itself. :)

At some point, I'd love to visit a temple and maybe talk to someone or see what they do. I don't know what the general policy is on non-Hindus witnessing or entering a temple? Particularly in the US.....
I'm not in the US, but I've never had a "Tssshk, go away!" experience. If you're nervous, phone up beforehand and ask if non-Hindus may visit. I expect they will say "certainly! Anyone is welcome here".

General rules are, from experience, very similar in all Dharmic faiths. Enter through the door, take off your shoes and put them in the shoe rack (if they have it. Outside if not). Removal of socks preferable, too - if you're not sure, check if other people are barefoot. When in doubt, take them off.

I always go and wash my hands and face before going in to see the icons.
Wash your feet if you need to, too. Some places offer a kind of headscarf-like thing to wear. In the mandir I visit, I don't think I've seen anyone use one of the headscarf things--but if it's your first time, I'd suggest you wrap one over you if they are there, just in case they prefer one's hair covered inside the prayer room. Even if it turns out it's not necessary, chances are you will get kudos for doing it. :)

Don't bring meat near the temple (many Hindus are vegetarian--and unlike in Western vegetarianism, eggs are considered as meat too), and give a donation in the donation box if you can afford to spare some.

DogmaToxin

TruthSeeker
Dear DisgruntledMonotheist,

You have raised some interesting and relevant questions. For anyone trying to properly understand Hinduism, unfortunately, is a daunting endeavor. The main hurdle for someone who grew up with "mono" ideas, is the depth and diversity in Hinduism, of ideas, philosophies, practices, customs and rituals - there is infinite variety to choose from. Better yet, you don't have to choose any one - you are free to explore them all. You are completely free - which is quite uncomfortable actually - because we are so used to being "controlled". The second major hurdle is discarding the biased opinions that influence us and which keeps us from even trying to understand the basic ideas. We shall discuss the details later if you want to continue this further.

For now let us look at some of your questions, .

1. Is it welcoming to people who are not of Indian descent? Particularly, to people of African descent? (I'm an African American female).

Absolutely. Not only be just welcomed, but if you are "the one", Hindus would even worship you as an incarnation of Goddess. Example:
A Jewish Goddess from France, The Mother: Mirra Alfassa (see Wikipedia)

Also, meet Amma this year: see amma(dot)org tours page.

As mentioned earlier there are some African Hindus in the ISKCON tradition.

Ricky Williams of the Miami Dolphins is well-known African-American Hindu (see Wikipedia).

There is Laetoli le "Kali" Baaba - google him and see his youtube videos also.

In those videos you can see that Hindus come in all colors. There are Mongoloid (Indo-Chin) Hindus, African Hindus, White Hindus etc. This is a partial list of people who have converted to Hinduism:
Wikipedia - List_of_converts_to_Hinduism
Wikipedia - Category:Converts to Hinduism

2. How does the religion treat "liberal" ideals such as women's rights and equality, and gay rights?

Sexuality: Hindu philosophy and culture completely embraces Nature in all its diversity, including sexual diversity. Wikipedia - Hinduism_and_homosexuality

Women: As mentioned earlier several women have authored sacred scriptures since the very ancient times. About the status of women this should give an idea - out of the 8 philosophers on this page 4 were women: Wikipedia - Category:Ancient_Indian_philosophers,
Women_in_Hinduism#Female_gurus_and_saints,
List_of_female_mystics#Hinduism,
Legal_rights_of_women_in_history#Hindu_in_Ancient_India

Kamat(dot)com - Kamat's Potpourri : Women of India

Certainly, the phenomenon like Amma and The Mother are pretty much impossible in cultures where an Abrahamic religion is dominant.

Sorry, I am not able to post the urls for the above references since I just joined this forum.

I will respond to the remaining questions soon. Please take some time to look at the above details. Have a great day!

Surya Deva

Although it is true every religion will claim that their religion is scientific. I have heard Muslims, Christians, and Sikhs stake this claim. If you actually read their scriptures it will become clear that there is no scientific knowledge to be gained, but rather you will read about matters of faith. On the other hand, Hindu scriptures actually have texts talking about atoms, cosmology, physical mechanics like motion, gravity etc, psychology, medicine, logic and using scientifics methods to ascertain the truth etc. This is why some call it a scientific religion. It should be born in mind, that Hinduism is a religion based on Vedas, literally the books of knowledge. From this knowledge it is said all Hindu sciences have evolved.

For further information read up on the following texts: Vaiseshika sutras, Yoga sutras, Nyaya sutras, Charaka Samhita, Sushruta Samhita, Samkhyakarika. This will give you a general idea of the scientific character of Hinduism.

Amala

Namaste DM,

You should contact the individual temples. I live in Michigan and there are some temples here that do not want non-Hindus coming in. They have certain rules that you need to know and should at least be accompanied by a Hindu or someone who knows the rules. Also, 3 of the 4 temples I contacted in this area do not want menstruating women inside the temple. [See the following thread: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/hinduism-dir/113179-who-inclusive-hindus.html]

Amala

Last edited: