• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hinduism for the super liberal American female

DisgruntledMonotheist

How do you know?
Hi all...I was never interested in Hinduism until recently. I find it fascinating....really, many of the religions/philosophies outside of the Western world have caught my attention in the past year.

I had a few qs about Hinduism.

1. Is it welcoming to people who are not of Indian descent? Particularly, to people of African descent? (I'm an African American female).

2. How does the religion treat "liberal" ideals such as women's rights and equality, and gay rights?

3. I understand that the cow is held in high regard...what is the reason for this? And do Hindus generally eat any meat at all?

4. Does Hinduism have "sacred texts" or are teachings varied according to the writings of individual gurus?

5. Do Hindus of different sects look at other Hindus outside of their sect as not being a "true" Hindu?

6. Have any of you become Hindu from another religion or a lack thereof? If so, what brought you to Hinduism?

Thanks, all!

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello and welcome to RF!

I agree that Hinduism is fascinating. It offers a very complex and deep philosophy (philosophies).

1) Yes it is. But you are likely to come across some Indians who will disagree. But there is no scriptural basis to the idea that only an Indian can be a Hindu. And no logical reasoning.

2) What is really important to understand is that Hinduism is neither one single religion and neither is it a religion based on the following of strict dogma. There is a long standing tradition in the Hindu world where people debate and question teachings and find the most intelligent interpretations. When you get down to the core tenets of this religion, things like social rights are not as important as seeing every living being as an equal and treating all as fairly as is possible.

But when you get to specifics, you will be able to find references regarding women that you may disagree with. I personally have my own interpretations of these passages, as do most people. As for homosexuality, it is largely untouched in this religion. It is neither encouraged or condemned.

3) The cow is one of the 7 Mothers. She may not be the most intelligent animal, but her nature is very maternal and in the mode of goodness. There is also the fact that she provides milk and the bill works the land and for this Hindus are most grateful.

A lot of Hindus eat meat. But a lot are vegetarian. It depends on the specific religious branch you belong to and the interpretation you take.

4) There are the Vedas and Upanishads that are the ancient scriptures. And then individuals follow the teachings and commentaries on these ancient philosophies written and spoken by learned masters.

5) Not generally. We consider there to be truth in all religions. We recognise that everyone has their individual Dharma; path to truth. Some are able to recognise that their path is not better for everyone but just for them, while many consider their chosen path to be 'higher', or closer to the truth. But nevertheless, other paths are generally considered to also lead to the goal.

6) I was born into a Hindu family, but my parents both converted to it from Christianity. My particular world view and religious perspective has changed dramatically from what I was brought up with, despite still following the same umbrella religion.

I hope that helps.

Marble

Rolling Marble
I'm not a Hindu, I'm from the west, but I will read much about Hinduism and will try to answer your questions from what I know.

1. Is it welcoming to people who are not of Indian descent? Particularly, to people of African descent? (I'm an African American female).
Yes.
Hinduism has many branches, so some may be very othodox and would perhaps not welcome a non-Indian, but others would accept you.
2. How does the religion treat "liberal" ideals such as women's rights and equality, and gay rights?
In India homosexuality is seen as a sin/sickness/degeneration brought to India from the West.
But that has nothing to do with religion.
3. I understand that the cow is held in high regard...what is the reason for this? And do Hindus generally eat any meat at all?
The cow is sacred because it generously gives milk (= food), cow dung (used for heating), urine (used as a medicine in Ayurveda).
Traditional Hinduism has a caste system consisting of Brahmanas (priests), Kshatriyas (kings, warriors), Vaishyas (traders), Shudras (servants), and "Untouchables" (outsiders).
The first three of these (Brahmanas, Kshatriyas, Vaishyas) are considered twice born because the receive initiation into the sacred Gayatri Mantra.
Those should abstain from eating meat, fish and eggs.
4. Does Hinduism have "sacred texts" or are teachings varied according to the writings of individual gurus?
Hinduism has a wide variety of sacred texts which are interpreted by different traditions in different ways.
Main branches of Hinduism are Vaishnaism, Shaivaism and Shaktism.
Each of those again has sub-branches.
5. Do Hindus of different sects look at other Hindus outside of their sect as not being a "true" Hindu?
No.
6. Have any of you become Hindu from another religion or a lack thereof? If so, what brought you to Hinduism?
I'm from Europe, my family was Roman-Catholic (not practising).
I came to Hinduism because it offers the possibility to see the Absolute as Divine Mother (Shaktism).

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Hi all...I was never interested in Hinduism until recently. I find it fascinating....really, many of the religions/philosophies outside of the Western world have caught my attention in the past year.

I'm an American, fifth generation Irish-Greek, who became a Hindu a bit over a year ago.

Ethnicity doesn't matter at all.

Hinduism doesn't have any strict dogma; it has guidelines, and it's up to us how many of the guidelines we wish to follow, and to what extent.

I think the major ones are just the Yamas and Niyamas, which basically boil down to leading a generally disciplined life.

Modern politics play absolutely no role in modern Hinduism as far as I'm concerned.

The cow was a major part of the life of ancient Vedic people, so I think that has something to do with it.

As Madhuri said, many Hindus eat meat, and others are vegetarian. Some Hindus are quite vehement in this subject; it's probably the most heated topic in inter-faith debates.

Hindu teachings are all based, to varying degrees, on the Vedas and Upanishads. (I actually don't recommend trying to read the Vedas right now, but I do highly recommend reading through the Isa Upanishad; in my opinion, that text contains the entire essence of Hindu philosophy). Beyond those, most (though not all) Hindu teachings are based on the Mahabharata and Ramayana, and the theistic sects have different Puranas. Entire books have been written about Hindu Scriptures. ^_^

Beyond that, it all depends on the particular Sage one follows.

I've never come across that, so I think such Hindus would be a small minority.

Well, I was a Pagan first, but a few years ago, I read the Upanishads, and was absolutely fascinated.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
The cow is sacred because it generously gives milk (= food), cow dung (used for heating), urine (used as a medicine in Ayurveda).
Traditional Hinduism has a caste system consisting of Brahmanas (priests), Kshatriyas (kings, warriors), Vaishyas (traders), Shudras (servants), and "Untouchables" (outsiders).

The first three of these (Brahmanas, Kshatriyas, Vaishyas) are considered twice born because the receive initiation into the sacred Gayatri Mantra.
Those should abstain from eating meat, fish and eggs.

Just some corrections.

Regarding the Cow, she is considered to be in the mode of Goodness. She is 'pure hearted' and one of the 7 Mothers.

Traditional 'caste' system (which was not called caste system originally) did not have the concept of untouchables.
And as far as I know, only Brahmins were required to maintain a vegetarian diet as they were the ones dedicating their lives to spiritual practice (the state of mind and body affected by this diet are most appropriate for leading a spiritual lifestyle...ie/ sitting in meditation for hours).
And the Kshatriyas were required to eat meat due to their intensive, physical lifestyles. Meat, being in the mode of passion, provides the body with more physical (and nervous) energy.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Welcome!

1. Yes. Some will say no. Others will welcome you with open arms.

2. Some will reject it, others will be fine with it. I've found Hinduism is often very pro-woman. Some of the Vedas were written by women. There is also the Shakta denomination - worshippers of the Divine Mother.

3. The cow provides a lot of stuff.

Taking this off topic a bit, but from a previous post of mine I think is relevant here:

The cow is forbidden to be killed because she provides so much and takes so little, she's a kind and gentle animal, it's more useful alive than dead, they would use the cow's milk to give to children who could not breastfeed, its dung was burnt to keep away mosquitoes, her urine was used for medicine (it's a natural antibiotic, iirc) and so on - in effect, she was seen as a sort of mother. Would you eat your own mother? - That is what I get.

The whole "devas reside in the cow" is a metaphor for how the cow is a humble and kind creature, and eating something like that would be as terrible as eating the devas.

That's how I interpret it, anyway. I've yet to see any cow deities within Hinduism, or any true "worship". The closest to worship one cold find is caring for it in a festival honouring her. After all:

• her poop stops mosquitoes from spreading illnesses
  • AFTER you've burnt the poop to stop illnesses, the ashes could be used as fertilizer
  • her whiz was an antibiotic
  • her milk used for feeding both babies who couldn't breastfeed, and used a lot in recipes: milk, curds, paneer, ghee...
  • she didn't compete with humans for food
  • if you killed her, you've got nobody to provide you with any of these, so that's pretty destructive
  • they're also cute :D

There are Hindus who eat meat. Vegetarianism is preferred though. If you can avoid meat, try to do it. If you can cut down, try to do that.

4. There are dozens of scripture:

Have the Vedas:

Rig Veda
Sama Veda
Yajur Veda
Athara Veda

Have the Upanishads, Puranas, epics like the Mahabharata and Ramayana, and more. See here:

Hindu texts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of Hindu scriptures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The general teachings vary by denomination, but the Vedas are pretty much the core of Hinduism. Most people are of either Vaishnava (worship of Vishnu as Supreme) or Shaiva (Shiva as Supreme) though.

Some groups, like the Arya Samaj (a small, but aniconic and very monotheistic branch of Hinduism) uses only the Vedas. The majority rely on other books for the most part thouhg.

5. Some are more exclusive, others are not. However, in my opinion, Hindus should not be exclusive over what one calls God:

इन्द्रं मित्रं वरुणमग्निमाहुरथो दिव्यः स सुपर्णो गरुत्मान |
एकं सद विप्रा बहुधा वदन्त्यग्निं यमं मातरिश्वानमाहुः ||

indraṃ mitraṃ varuṇamaghnimāhuratho divyaḥ sa suparṇo gharutmān |
ekaṃ sad viprā bahudhā vadantyaghniṃ yamaṃ mātariśvānamāhuḥ ||

They call him Indra, Mitra, Varuṇa, Agni, and he is heavenly nobly-winged Garutmān.
To what is One, sages give many a title; they call it Agni, Yama, Mātariśvan​
- Rig Veda Book 1, Hymn 164, Verse 46. [Griffith Translation]​

6. I'd avoid coming across from lack of another religion. If Hinduism speaks to you, then by all means go to it. I don't think it's helpful to come to Hinduism because it's not, say, Abrahamic, even if that is a contributing factor. Come outta love. :)

Surya Deva

Your ethnicity does not matter. I have met African Indians and Caucasian Indians. You can reach the highest posts of Hinduism irrespective of which ethnicity you are. Swami Kriyananda, a disciple of Swami Yogananda, is a Caucasian male.

There are some very small sub-sects in India that do not allow foreigners, but they are rare.

For the most part they are very liberal. The woman has a very high position in Hinduism because the woman is considered to be the divine mother. Most Hindus worship the divine mother as mother nature. There are several examples in Hindu history of very powerful women, such as Sita, Drupadi, Gargi, Rani lakshmi bhai. About 30 of the authors of the Vedas are women.

In the ancient period Hindu women had the most rights. In the Arthshastra, written by Kautaliya the professor of politics and economics at Taxshilla university in ancient India, womens rights is an important part. Her rights include rights to property, rights to divorce, rights to alimony, rights to inheritance, rights to remarriage and rights to work.

Gay people in Hinduism are largely a neutral issue. It is more of a live and let live philosophy. There are important gay historical personalities which are respected, like Shikandi from the Mahabharata. In Hindu art in some temples, homoerotic symbolism is used. In modern day, some Hindus think homosexuality is a disorder, but still tolerate gay people. Baba Ramdev, a famous guru of Yoga and Hinduism in India today, believes homosexuality is a disorder and it can be treated using Yoga.

The cow is the most important animal in Hindu society because it was used so much. It is given high connotations like mother, knowledge, light, goodness. It is considered in the mode of goodness. Thus it enjoys a lot of respect.

Hindus prefer vegetarianism. Of course you do find many Hindus who eat meat. But vegetarian is considered more good, noble and spiritual.

The Vedas and the Upanishads are the core of Hinduism. In fact when we use the word "Vedas" we are referring to both the Vedas and the Upanishads. However, these texts are written in very archaic language and difficult to translate(translations of the Vedas are especially controversial) This is why Hindus prefer the Bhagvad Gita, which contains the essential teachings of the Vedas.

Most Hindus, however do not read scriptures, and learn Hinduism through the stories of the Mahabharata and Ramayana. Every Hindu knows these epics very well.

The distinction between Hindus who read the Vedas, Upanishads and Gita and the Hindus who know it from the epics is significant. You will get a more technical, philosophical and accurate understanding of Hinduism from the former. The others, will only have a rudimentary understanding.

Nope, even though Hinduism has many sects and sect prefer to worship one Hindu god or goddess more than the other, they tend to worship them all. A vaishnavite who worship Vishnu, will also worship Shiva and the divine mother too.

I was born Sikh, then later became atheist. What bought me to Hinduism was science. I realised how all Hindu teachings were backed up by science and how so many famous scientists supported it. This is why it sometimes called the scientific religion.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer

There is a Hinduism beyond communities - as in the teachings of Vedanta which are addressed to individuals, where you would be welcome because it is all yours to learn and profit by. Don’t bother about communities – they all have their membership conditions as do all organizations.

The highest teachings of Hinduism talk about the oneness of all existence. Its ideas predates all modern liberal ideas.

The cow has been considered as a member of the Hindu household since the good old days because it offered itself to the family in so many ways – from milk to fuel and medicines. Today the cow is considered, at least in rural areas, as a sustainer of the economy. Also, the cow is associated with Hinduism’s most popular expression – Krishna, and hence has a special place in the hearts of Krishna devotees.

A larger percentage of Hindus eat meat but there may be only a few who eat beef (cow’s meat).

Hinduism has innumerable scriptures but the fount appears to be the Vedas. They are all actually different expressions of the one single truth expounded by Hinduism – the oneness of existence.

It is the unique culture of Hinduism which accepts that truth can be expressed in many ways that has in the first place given rise to the innumerable number of sects and teachings of Hinduism. Of course, sects do have the failings that occur when truth is organized and tend to be insular – but the overall impact of the higher Hindu vision of oneness has kept Hinduism free of any sort of ethnic cleansing.

Chisti

Sorry to say this, but Hinduism is not a suitable religion for a westerner, especially the liberal kind. Buddhism would be better.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Sorry to say this, but Hinduism is not a suitable religion for a westerner, especially the liberal kind.

cup-of-lol.gif

Sorry, but I disagree. :)

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Sorry to say this, but Hinduism is not a suitable religion for a westerner, especially the liberal kind. Buddhism would be better.

I must disagree.

I'm very much a semi-liberal Westerner, and Hinduism has done a lot for me.

Why do you think it's not?

Atman

Namaste DM.

I don't identify as a Hindu myself,but I once used to label myself as one, and Hinduism has greatly influenced how I view God today. A good portion of the religious beliefs and practices I follow also come from Hinduism.

Though today many Indian Hindus that follow the rigid caste system of India try to say only people of Indian descent can practice Hinduism, in the past countries like Cambodia, Java, Bali, and Sumatra had been Hindu majority thanks to the work of Hindu missionaries, so I think even historically this was not true (in fact Bali is still a Hindu majority country). Today (as others have mentioned )there are many people of different national and ethnic backgrounds who practice Hinduism.

This varies greatly from sect to sect, and sometimes these views have not necessarily been religiously sanctioned by a particular sect, but have become synonymous with them due to the sect developing in a time and region where these views were popular. In many parts of India in the past women were treated fairly poorly. Sati (ritual burning of widows at their husbands funeral pyres) was sometimes forcibly implemented, women were viewed as polluting during their menses, and a bride's parents had to pay dowry to her husband. However on the other side of the coin, some sects of Hinduism, mainly Shaktism, held women in fairly high regards. Shaktis viewed women as being sacred embodiments of the great Goddess Devi, did not consider women on their menses to be polluting (some even believed menstrual fluid to be sacred), did not usually enforce or even condone Sati, and in many areas where Shaktism is prevalent (parts of Nepal and Northeast India) polyandry (one woman marrying various husbands) was practiced instead of polygamy. Likewise there are pretty varied views about gay and trans gendered people. There is a particular goddess called Bahuchara Maa, who has been traditionally considered the patron goddess of the trans gender community in India.

As others have mentioned already the cow is considered sacred because it gives us milk and butter for psychical sustenance, cow feces was traditionally used as a source for fire fuel, and purified forms of its urine are said to have medicinal benefits (how true the last bit is I'm not too sure). In the past many Hindu texts actually allowed eating beef from bulls, and even the consumption of barren cows, but over time this changed and all cattle became sacred in Hinduism. But, even in modern times the famed modern Hindu philosopher Swami Vivekananda, had no problem with eating beef, and cited such texts as the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad to justify his stance. Like many other issues the subject of meat eating being acceptable varies from sect to sect. Personally I try to avoid eating as much meat as possible, but I am not yet a strict vegetarian (hoping to be one day).

Yes. The four Vedas and the 13 principal Upanishads are revered as sacred and authoritative by every orthodox sect of Hinduism, but there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of different sacred texts, that only certain sects of Hinduism follow. There are some religious sects like the Veerashaivas, who are considered Hindu because they revere a Hindu deity (Shiva), but do not follow the Vedas or Upanishads.

No, this is usually not the case.

I was raised Christian, but converted to Hinduism because I believed it presented a more realistic and compassionate concept of God. Today, I do not identify as Hindu, but still follow many of its practices and beliefs.

Last edited:

Chisti

I must disagree.

I'm very much a semi-liberal Westerner, and Hinduism has done a lot for me.

Why do you think it's not?

That's because you're white (I am assuming). The OP said she was an African-American, so she has no chance. Hindus discriminate against them. I am not talking about caste. I am talking about the general hatred that Hindus have for dark-skinned people, so the OP is best advised not to approach Hindus and get hurt as a consequence.

That's all I can say. I am not going to have a debate on this, just felt that no one should get their hopes up and then get hurt. If the OP is still interested, Buddhism would be a much better option.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
That's because you're white (I am assuming). The OP said she was an African-American, so she has no chance. Hindus discriminate against them. I am not talking about caste. I am talking about the general hatred that Hindus have for dark-skinned people, so the OP is best advised not to approach Hindus and get hurt as a consequence.

That's all I can say. I am not going to have a debate on this, just felt that no one should get their hopes up and then get hurt. If the OP is still interested, Buddhism would be a much better option.

I know a bunch of African Hindus. And as a Hindu, I have no such discrimination. In fact, I don't know of any Hindus in my country who discriminate against black people.

nameless

The Creator

if it exists so, she should bother that? does 'hindus' has such a big role to play in his/her spiritual path?

Atman

It is very ignorant of you to equate the prejudice of some Indian people with the teachings of Hinduism. Goddess Kali and Sri Krishna are both described as dark in complexion, and many followers of Hinduism (both of African and Indian descent) have dark skin as well.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
There are even some African gurus around.
So really not a problem.
Yep. :)

_48160702_ghanananda226.jpg
Bhakti-Tirtha-swami_chanting.jpg
Left: H. H. Swami Ghananand Saraswati, first African swami, intiated as a swami in 1975.
Right: H. H. Bhakti Tirtha Swami (1950-2005), first ISKCON African-American Gurū.

Not bad, eh? :)

Chisti

It is very ignorant of you to equate the prejudice of some Indian people with the teachings of Hinduism. Goddess Kali and Sri Krishna are both described as dark in complexion, and many followers of Hinduism (both of African and Indian descent) have dark skin as well.

I am not saying this is the teaching of Hinduism. But this is the general behavioral pattern of Hindus, so it's better to know all this; or one may become disappointed.

Riverwolf

Premium Member

Uh, that makes no sense. The priests at my local temple have dark brown skin. Most of the Indians I've come across have dark skin.

I don't think any such discrimination exists. At least I've never heard of it.