• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's Your Chance to Stump Sunstone!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It seems these interview threads never go well for me unless I'm the one asking the questions. Someone always asks some question that stumps or mystifies me.. But oh well, I'll give it another try. Feel free to ask most anything about me, my values, opinions, background, politics, poetry, paintings, etc. Pretty much whatever you like.

Just keep in mind. I might not be able to answer promptly. I might be busy, staring dumbly at my monitor, stumped.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
What do you think about culture appropriation? Or even better, What do you think about the recent Cosby trial?

Last edited:

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
How long have you been on the staff? What got you interested in joining the mod team? (Blink twice if you need me to call the police.)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
What happened to the saturnstone, the moonstone, the venustone and the earthstone? Or are you still not ready to admit...I mean, talk about that?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Whatever happened to Ms. Doll? You two were always such a cute couple. And what about all your trampolines? RF obesity has went on the rise since you put them all away.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Was there a past, when you were a child, that affected your today?

It's a good question, but the thought of @Sunstone as a child LITERALLY made my head explode.

My question for the OP is simply how frustrating do you find it when people say 'literally', but mean 'figuratively'??

QBTlxf7.jpg

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm going to ask a real question: you ask a lot of interesting questions about people's beliefs. So: what do you believe is the purpose of life, assuming you believe there is one? How does this fundamental assumption affect your attitude toward religion and spirituality?

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
purpose of life.....
to kill mosquitoes !
and drink more beer !
and go to the beach !
and take my meds !

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a cliche, but i'm curious, if you could have one superpower, what would that be? :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What do you think about culture appropriation? Or even better, What do you think about the recent Cosby trial?

First Cosby. I'm happy that some measure of justice was done. Yet it concerns me how the man was able to get away with it for decades and dozens of victims. Fame, alone or in combination with such things as wealth and power, pretty much gives you a ticket to do what you want in our society. There appears to be a two tier system of justice in America now. One for the elites, one for the rest of us. The Cosby case is an instance in which the tiers broke down and justice was served to an elite, but I'm not naive enough to think that is going to become a trend.

Cultural Appropriation. I can understand that people don't like to be insulted by deprecatory misrepresentations of themselves. So I see it as nonsense when, say, the Redskins football franchise announces that it's keeping its logo despite the nearly universal offense its logo gives Native Americans. The Redskins should ditch the logo, rename themselves, and be done with it. This isn't the 1800s anymore: Conquering a people no longer gives you the right in the eyes of the world to further demean and humiliate them.

That's one thing. There's more to cultural appropriation than that.

Whenever you turn something into a cause, no matter how good the cause is, sooner or later the idiots will ride in on their ponies to "support" you. Those are the people who want to use your cause to make themselves feel big, to put themselves in spotlights, to take out their anger on other people, and so forth. So now you have people writing articles claiming there's something morally wrong with Chinese-American food, or Thai-American. Or finding moral wrong in the fact Buddhism is interpreted in the West differently than it is interpreted in the East. And so forth.

To me, there's nothing wrong with adapting the things of one culture to the tastes and understanding of another. That's how peoples of different cultures at least initially learn from each other. It's been going on that way for thousands of years. One can even make an argument that, human learning being what it is, there is no other way to do it.

The difference between, say, the "Redskins" name and General Tsos' Chicken lies in the intent to depreciate. The Redskins name and logo were from the start depreciating. There is no evidence that General Tsos' Chicken was ever intended to depreciate anyone or anything.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
How long have you been on the staff? What got you interested in joining the mod team? (Blink twice if you need me to call the police.)

I no longer recall the exact year I came on staff. Could have been as early as in the same year the Forum was founded to as late as a year after the Forum was founded.

Nowadays when we want someone on staff, we just do the decent thing and ask them, "Do you want to become a mod?" But it wasn't always that way.

Years ago, it used to amuse Rex to just turn someone into a mod without first questioning them or giving them warning. You'd log off one evening a normal member, and log back on the next morning with mod duties to perform. That's what happened to me.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
First Cosby. I'm happy that some measure of justice was done. Yet it concerns me how the man was able to get away with it for decades and dozens of victims. Fame, alone or in combination with such things as wealth and power, pretty much gives you a ticket to do what you want in our society. There appears to be a two tier system of justice in America now. One for the elites, one for the rest of us. The Cosby case is an instance in which the tiers broke down and justice was served to an elite, but I'm not naive enough to think that is going to become a trend.

Cultural Appropriation. I can understand that people don't like to be insulted by deprecatory misrepresentations of themselves. So I see it as nonsense when, say, the Redskins football franchise announces that it's keeping its logo despite the nearly universal offense its logo gives Native Americans. The Redskins should ditch the logo, rename themselves, and be done with it. This isn't the 1800s anymore: Conquering a people no longer gives you the right in the eyes of the world to further demean and humiliate them.

That's one thing. There's more to cultural appropriation than that.

Whenever you turn something into a cause, no matter how good the cause is, sooner or later the idiots will ride in on their ponies to "support" you. Those are the people who want to use your cause to make themselves feel big, to put themselves in spotlights, to take out their anger on other people, and so forth. So now you have people writing articles claiming there's something morally wrong with Chinese-American food, or Thai-American. Or finding moral wrong in the fact Buddhism is interpreted in the West differently than it is interpreted in the East. And so forth.

To me, there's nothing wrong with adapting the things of one culture to the tastes and understanding of another. That's how peoples of different cultures at least initially learn from each other. It's been going on that way for thousands of years. One can even make an argument that, human learning being what it is, there is no other way to do it.

The difference between, say, the "Redskins" name and General Tsos' Chicken lies in the intent to depreciate. The Redskins name and logo were from the start depreciating. There is no evidence that General Tsos' Chicken was ever intended to depreciate anyone or anything.
You ever watch Lindsay Ellis? She does movie deep dives, a lot of Disney. She had one that was comparing and contrasting Pochahontas and Moana. She talked some about cultural appropriation and it was a stellar video.

What is your favorite movie?