• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever resigned or been fired from a job, because of your religious views?

Deidre

This isn't due to evangelizing at your workplace, but your beliefs were found out by coworkers or a boss, perhaps through social media or something of that nature. Or maybe you shared your faith in passing, when asked, with coworkers in the breakroom kitchen.

I'm not asking for me, but I've had a few conversations with friends who left their former employers due to their religious beliefs, and their employers were making life difficult for them at work, because of it.

Just curious to see how common this is, so I'm posing the question, here.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Not yet. I've had a case where my religion has been disrespected, but this was probably inadvertent rather than intentional, and it certainly wasn't malicious.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This isn't due to evangelizing at your workplace, but your beliefs were found out by coworkers or a boss, perhaps through social media or something of that nature. Or maybe you shared your faith in passing, when asked, with coworkers in the breakroom kitchen.

I'm not asking for me, but I've had a few conversations with friends who left their former employers due to their religious beliefs, and their employers were making life difficult for them at work, because of it.

Not because of my religion, but I have resigned a job because of my belief system.

In the mid-2000s - during the Iraq War - I was working for a Canadian engineering company that was acquired by a large American firm. My new American employer had a division that did contracts for the American armed forces (refueling and rearming warplanes at a base in Kuwait, among other things).

My objections to the war were strong enough that I wanted nothing to do with a company that would be involved with this, so I found another job and quit.

No issues with the staff in my office - they were all lovely.

(At certain other jobs, I have kept my atheism secret when I've had overtly religious managers who I thought wouldn't take kindly to knowing that they had a non-believer reporting to them)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Not exactly, but I was hounded out of a job mostly due to being an introvert. Part of it was that I felt I couldn't participate in general gossip and had little or nothing in common with coworkers, so that part was religious. I was under twenty, not bad looking but not outgoing at all; yet coworkers were curious. I had signed up to do data entry and got put into a position that might have become something better, but I wasn't looking for better. I just wanted to do my work and be left alone, but it was actually an entry level position to do more. Basically if you act too weird your coworkers get rid of you any way they can. People wonder if an alien will jump out of your chest. It can be your religion. People have generally been pretty nice and tolerant, but people want coworkers like themselves. That is what they want.

Cooky

Veteran Member

Cooky

Veteran Member

I think it happened to me once. My boss was a QAnan wacko, who bragged about how he flashed a gun at some black guy once in a road rage incident in Texas. He would make wildly absurd comments about Catholicism and pedophilia rings on a weekly basis... Then I told him how I was raised Catholic my entire life, and within a few days, I was fired for dropping a box on the ground, and it wasn't even broke.

Yerda

Veteran Member
What if your boss is an anti-Catholic Protestant and you happen to mention you're Catholic, and then the next week you get fired for something minimal, like accidentally knocking your computer monitor off your desk and breaking it?

...How could you prove that it was actually your religious views that got you fired?
If you can bring evidence that your boss has expressed anti-Catholic views you'd probably be in a strong position, especially if the stated reason was something another person wouldn't have been fired for.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Not me. But my boss at the time did fire someone for changing a graphic to be SS "bolts".

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I was asked to leave a Christian Medical Centre where I volunteer providing free GP services to those in need. I was asked to leave as it was felt by the Christian conservatives having a Baha’i working in a Christian Medical Centre wasn’t a good fit despite knowing I was a Baha’i before having me work there. One of the more liberal Christians had asked me to help out. Long story short a Catholic Priest who was involved with the Centre protested vigorously and the conservatives recanted. I’m still working there 8 years later. A few years ago they introduced a policy explicitly allowing people of other faiths to work there.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

Once, but then they thought I had issues.
Another time, because I was Demorat.

Orbit

I'm a planet
In the US I think you are more likely to be fired for being an atheist than being religious.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm Canadian. We don't do that (or at least I don't think we do).
Depends on the workplace and the part of the country, but it definitely happens.

I remember the day I arrived in Windsor on my move from the Toronto area: there was a big "March for Jesus" banner over Ouellette Ave. (the main street through downtown) and there was a story in the paper about the Christian flag being raised at City Hall, complete with speeches from a couple of city councillors about how wonderful it was. In the background of the photos, you could see the Bible passage inscribed on City Hall.

I remember thinking "damn... what have I gotten myself into?"