• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Reformation Day!

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Today marks the 500th anniversary of Martin Luther nailing the 95 Theses to the door of Wittenberg Cathedral, the act which eventually led to the Protestant Reformation. So to all my Protestant friends, happy Reformation Day!

David T

Premium Member
Today marks the 500th anniversary of Martin Luther nailing the 95 Theses to the door of Wittenberg Cathedral, the act which eventually led to the Protestant Reformation. So to all my Protestant friends, happy Reformation Day!
All bow for God walks amongst us given to us by the mighty oracle:
images (18).jpg

**** printing press worship it's stupid.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Today marks the 500th anniversary of Martin Luther...
Ever read any biographies on Luther? An interesting and rather complex man.

BTW, I grew up in a fundamentalist Lutheran church. Yes, they did and still do exist as not all Lutheran churches are "liberal".

Anyhow, Happy Reformation Day to all that it applies to here at RF.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Antisemitic pile....
Ya, that's one of his "complexities". The Nuremberg Laws that Hitler invoked were taken almost word for word at times from Luther's announcement in Nuremberg that was so highly anti-Semitic given centuries before. It's shocking going through those speeches and seeing how they compare.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Ya, that's one of his "complexities". The Nuremberg Laws that Hitler invoked were taken almost word for word at times from Luther's announcement in Nuremberg that was so highly anti-Semitic given centuries before. It's shocking going through those speeches and seeing how they compare.
It's not a 'complexity'; let's not couch it in nicer language to smooth over the issue. He was a rabid antisemite who massacred Jews. That's not a 'complexity', that's an inexcusable barbarian psycopath.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
It's not a 'complexity'; let's not couch it in nicer language to smooth over the issue. He was a rabid antisemite who massacred Jews. That's not a 'complexity', that's an inexcusable barbarian psycopath.

Yep! They also killed other Christians whom didn't think as they did.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Antisemitic pile of dogsh*t.
At least he was a higher quality pile of doggie doodoo than his predecessors.
And just think...in 3 years it'll be the 500th anniversary of his appearing before
the Diet Of Worms, refusing to recant.
(Those Germans can sure come up with some strange names for things.)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep! They also killed other Christians whom didn't think as they did.

...and they should have known better. The Brethren did. So did the Jews.

I think the Reformation had to happen and was going to happen, Luther or no Luther. There were really several reformations happening. I think that the Brethren (and others) had a superior reformation, and they were persecuted by the Lutherans. Jews were persecuted as well. The Brethren actually made more progressive reforms than Lutherans, and the Lutherans strongly reflected the institution they were protesting. Then along came the Quakers. So you had those in the RC who wanted to change it from within, then the hardline reformers like Calvin, Zwingli and Luther, plus the Brethren, plus others such as Quakers. All of these reformations were doomed to happen because of the tremendous disappointment that had built up towards the clergy and the way things were.