1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greetings from LuisDantas

Discussion in 'Know Your Moderators!' started by LuisDantas, Jul 13, 2010.

1. TashaN

TashaN Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,246
    Religion:
    Islam
    Oh man! Mazinger and Grandizer? :cover:

I watched it when i was younger in video tapes, but my elder brothers told me they were watching it on tv before i was eve born. :D

2. Sahar

Sahar Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +765
    Religion:
    Islam
    This needs its own thread. :)

3. wilsoncole

wilsoncole Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Sir,
    I am frequently accused of plagiarism by a single individual - Autodidact.
    The accusations are untrue and I would like you to investigate the supposed infractions and take note that the credits are duly assigned except in one case where it slipped my mind.
    I made these points clear to Autodidact but she called me a liar and thief and refused to go check for herself.

Please investigate.
    Thank you.
    Wilson.

4. Starsoul

Starsoul Truth

Ratings:
    +96
    Oh congrats! :) I'm not sure how that gives anyone an edge on the forums, ( not unless they get to do whatever they want hehe)

So are all brazilians are as polite as you or more? :D

5. lamplighter

lamplighter Almighty Tallest

Ratings:
    +87
    Belated congratulations! Only took 6+ months, but hey whatever.

6. suncowiam

suncowiam Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,285
    Hey Luis!

I actually assumed you were a futball fan since I read that you were from Brazil but didn't want to generalize. =P I don't follow the brazilian leagues at all simply because we do not get coverage here. I do know of the most popular players like Neymar. He just blows my mind when I see his highlights. I actually started playing again several months ago. Do you play at all?

7. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,104
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    Sorry, Suncowiam. I'm afraid I am just not representative of Brazilians, particularly when it comes to Soccer.

8. suncowiam

suncowiam Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,285
    Whoops, I thought I read something from this thread indicating you're a soccer fan. Totally missed the joke. My bad.

I used to watch lots of anime in my youth. Not so much these days though.

9. paarsurrey

paarsurrey Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,251
    It is a long time since you started this thread.
    Any update on your above post.

Regards

10. LuisDantas

Ratings:
    +15,104
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    Other than my age? I have emphasized by atheism, embraced anti-atheism, and become more critical and more demanding of religious beliefs in general.

11. Avi1001

Avi1001 reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur

Ratings:
    +174
    Good deal...what are your thoughts on choosing a very gifted poster....and nominating him to be the next new Staff member ? :D Any poster come to mind ? ;)

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,294
    Hi Luis.

Could you elaborate on your beliefs regarding Nation/Territory?

13. LuisDantas

Ratings:
    +15,104
    Religion:
    For starters, I think the idea that people can in any meaningful sense "own" territory is hopelessly flawed and must be disposed off for good.

Territory exists. It is a natural, vital resource, and people can live in it, occupy it, convince others to stay away from it by the use of several tools, violence or the threat of its use not least among them. But it is simply not possible for any person or people to "own" territory in any meaningful sense.

Nations are political abstractions. At its core, a nation is a group of people promissing each other mutual support and sharing a common political authority. They are incredibly cumbersome to use in practice, given the actual numbers of typical populations and the increasingly divisive nature of our political ambitions. I fully expect the concept to be recognized as unsustainable and obsolete in the next few decades, and good riddance it will be.

Even so, the concept of nation has a core of a valid idea. It can not be saved, but we can salvage good lessons from it in order to develop better, more constructive and realistic policital abstractions.

Unfortunately, very few people are politically mature enough to even realize that we need such more ambitious models. The craving for the glory of the proud nation still runs deep in our fantasies, and it may very well end up dooming us all.

14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,294
    Cheers for the reply, my next post is regarding a different topic.

I think you're a very thoughtful and intelligent person, Luis.
    You're one of the very few people on RF whom I've never seen "break" or lose-one's-temper during a debate.

I want to ask you if you have any tips for being able to formulate such detailed and methodical opinions on complex issues: does it come natural to you? Or do you often feel mentally overwhelmed etc?

I notice that you also like to focus a lot on exploring Ethics. This is probably just an inaccurate stereotype that I hold: but I've always assumed that "intelligence" and "Ethics" were almost mutually exclusive - yet you tend to delve into both (which I admire).

Do you ever feel as though there is a battle between Intelligence and Ethics?

15. Sha'irullah

Sha'irullah رسول الآلهة

Ratings:
    +1,365
    Religion:
    Ta'at ila al-Alihah
    I know Sunstone regrets having you as a mod! Muhahaha!

16. LuisDantas

Ratings:
    +15,104
    Religion:
    There are techniques for improving one's perception of behavior patterns, but I'm afraid I'm not all that up to date on where to find them.

I was raised by my worst enemy. I guess that helped. Sort of.

Tell me more about that.

Quite on the contrary. I tend to see lack of ethics as a direct manifestation of stupidity, even.

Ethics does not just thrive on intelligence. It very much relies on it to exist and express itself. Or going by the complementary perspective, intelligence demands ethics when it becomes aware of the matters of human sciences. The level of ethical ability of any specific person is directly limited by his or her intelligence.

17. LuisDantas

Ratings:
    +15,104
    Religion:
    That is why I never ask him.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MD

MD qualiaphile

Ratings:
    +1,742
    Religion:
    Zoroastrian
    Are you married?
    Do you believe in any sort of an afterlife, like rebirth?

19. LuisDantas

Ratings:
    +15,104
    Religion:
    No.

Rebirth, yes, but it is very much a stretch to call my conception of it an afterlife.

Far as I know and believe, people do indeed die for good. I would not want it any other way even if I had the choice.

It is a good thing that we all die as individuals.

20. MD

MD qualiaphile

Ratings:
    +1,742
    Religion:
    Zoroastrian
    So what is it that is reborn?