• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greetings from LuisDantas

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The Moderation Team, better known as the "Mod Squad", was kind enough to accept me as a member in training. I look forward to being useful in some capacity.

I usually talk a lot about myself through the topics, but just in case, feel free to ask questions here.

I'm an Buddhist of what I consider to be an orthodox attitude, which means that I seek a lot of my own answers and interpretations. I'm Brazilian, 41 years old. I'm also, and have been as far as I remember, a strong atheist, agnostic, and apatheist - meaning that I definitely do not believe that there is any god, but recognize that it is not possible for a human to prove anything on the matter. As an apatheist, I don't think that is a particularly important matter to settle, either.

Religion is and has always been a topic of interest to me. IMO, it is because there is no God that religion is of paramount importance - we ought to look for each other, because no one Above will. I define Religion as the art of dealing with the conflict between the need of making mundane decisions and the desire of being pure and attuned to higher abstract principles. As such, it is not opposed to science, but rather basically oblivious to natural sciences while also partnered and to some extend guided by social and human sciences.

I have a strong personal interest in the exchange of information through internet. Enthusiasm for PHP forums such as this one and for wiki systems such as Wikipedia came naturally for me. I wish I had more time to learn and become fluent with all those interesting matters.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
They made a good choice asking you to be a mod :)
I wholeheartedly agree. Welcome aboard.

My question, what is a normal day for you? Give me a short glimpse of your lifestyle.

One more if I may, your obviously well educated, what is your speciality?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I wholeheartedly agree. Welcome aboard.

Thanks!

My question, what is a normal day for you? Give me a short glimpse of your lifestyle.

I work about seven hours a day, most of them sitting at a computer. It is a great work environment, btw. I use the computer even more when I'm home, for I have a thing for trying to read and post in about a half dozen windows at the same time. At least half of them are probably in forums of some kind and/or wiki articles (not always from Wikipedia).

I often take lone walks as well. I have a thing for the lure of the big city.

I'm not much of a party animal. As of late, I've been playing board games fairly often, and developed a modest yet versatile collection of same. I recommend Shadows Over Camelot and Pandemic, but I usually end up playing 18XX games or some other niche jewel.

Oh, and I usually carry a digital camera with me. They're a minor miracle hidden in plain sight, you know.

One more if I may, your obviously well educated, what is your speciality?

For a living, computers. My true specialty is of course social and human sciences, particularly on matters of ethics and faith.

I'm not certain that I am well educated, at least in the formal sense. I've spent a good ten years in faculty, however - but never attained a complete graduation. Long story.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I was hoping you would ask: "How so?"
:p

That would be different. Now that you have endorsed me I'm sure of myself. ;)

What are some of your hobbies? What do you do mainly for fun?

Mostly I'm a psychology and wiki nerd. I try my hand at cooking every once in a while. I'm not much of a cook, but I dearly value the results all the same. Not only for themselves, but also for the degree of autonomy that they bring me. There is little comparable to being able of making and spicing one's own plate of mashed potatoes, I tell ya. :)

And I read online. Oh, do I read online. Not only here, but in various other sites, particularly Mark Evanier's blog. I am also a comics fan, of something of an archeologist bent. There is an comics online resource of some fame that I have been know to contribute to.

.lava

Veteran Member
Yagami Light is dead. i feel kinda empty without new episodes. i don't know if there's 2nd season. well, he's dead. so, have you seen Death Note triology? (not the anime, the ones with actual people in it) if yes, how was it? if you like anime, would you share your top 5 list? top 10 might be better :)

xkatz

Yagami Light is dead. i feel kinda empty without new episodes. i don't know if there's 2nd season. well, he's dead. so, have you seen Death Note triology? (not the anime, the ones with actual people in it) if yes, how was it? if you like anime, would you share your top 5 list? top 10 might be better :)

Did someone mention, DEATH NOTE?!?!

[youtube]V5vLIl9qbeM[/youtube]
YouTube - THIS VIDEO CONTAINS DEATH NOTE

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No second season, but the manga has a sequel chapter with some of the same characters.

The live action movies? I've seen the first two already. They're fairly faithful, although the story had to be (understandably and respectably) adapted for reasons of duration. A couple of surprises too, but it is not really a different story.

The third, however, seems to be an original tale, a prequel IIRC. But I've not seen it yet.

I recommend Bokurano, since you liked Death Note. It is not at all a similar story, but it does bring some nice human themes forefront. I love ethically-loaded stories.

Gantz is good, but only in manga form. Battle Royale has no anime, but it is superb in both novel and manga form. The live action movie is so-so. All three forms are basically the same story.

I liked Neon Genesis Evangelion. Very visceral and a bit existential. Rahxephon is in some respects better. It certainly has better animation.

I assume that you have watched Grandizer already? It is a bit dated, but for reasons I can only speculate on, it seems to be a good match for Muslim sensibilities. It is certainly respected enough.

I got a thrill out of Daiku Maryu Gaiking when I was 13 and lived in Chile. Same for Koketsu Jeeg.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Congratulations Luis. You are nice, humble, thoughtful, and if I may say so, good looking. :yes:

.lava

Veteran Member
No second season, but the manga has a sequel chapter with some of the same characters.

The live action movies? I've seen the first two already. They're fairly faithful, although the story had to be (understandably and respectably) adapted for reasons of duration. A couple of surprises too, but it is not really a different story.

The third, however, seems to be an original tale, a prequel IIRC. But I've not seen it yet.

I recommend Bokurano, since you liked Death Note. It is not at all a similar story, but it does bring some nice human themes forefront. I love ethically-loaded stories.

Gantz is good, but only in manga form. Battle Royale has no anime, but it is superb in both novel and manga form. The live action movie is so-so. All three forms are basically the same story.

I liked Neon Genesis Evangelion. Very visceral and a bit existential. Rahxephon is in some respects better. It certainly has better animation.

I assume that you have watched Grandizer already? It is a bit dated, but for reasons I can only speculate on, it seems to be a good match for Muslim sensibilities. It is certainly respected enough.

I got a thrill out of Daiku Maryu Gaiking when I was 13 and lived in Chile. Same for Koketsu Jeeg.

i like the story of Rahxephon. there are two different torrents though. one seems serie, other is not and i'll pick the second one cos i don't have enough space on my pc.

no, i haven't seen, haven't even heard of Grandizer. i found it in French. though i should remind myself, anime is not equal Japanese lol

thank you for sharing your thoughts :)