• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greetings from LuisDantas

.lava

Veteran Member
You're welcome. I didn't understand the bit about anime and Japanese, however. Do you mean that Grandizer isn't what you would call an anime?

lol of course not. if it is anime, then it is anime :) for some reason i expect animes to be Japanese and from Japan. when i saw language of Grandizer is French, i was surprised. silly and personal issue. not really about Grandizer, at all. so Grandizer was made by French?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No! It is a 100% japanese product, I tell you. Of course, it HAS traveled around quite a bit. In fact, I suggested it to you because, besides knowing that it has good pedigree, I'm aware that it was quite the hit in the 1970s and 1980s in Arab countries.

I have a hunch that it appeals to the family sensibilities of Muslims, due to some relatively unusual choices of character relationships. But I have never even watched it, so I'm probably wrong.

.lava

Veteran Member
No! It is a 100% japanese product, I tell you. Of course, it HAS traveled around quite a bit. In fact, I suggested it to you because, besides knowing that it has good pedigree, I'm aware that it was quite the hit in the 1970s and 1980s in Arab countries.

I have a hunch that it appeals to the family sensibilities of Muslims, due to some relatively unusual choices of character relationships. But I have never even watched it, so I'm probably wrong.

interesting. i would like to see it :)

dust1n

Zindīq
Congratulations. I would have put an explanation point at the end of the last sentence but the shift key doesn't work on my computer. I also can't ask any questions for the same reason, in a strictly technical sense.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'm an agnostic, and not so much into action anyway, so I suppose this is one mystery that will follow me for a while more...

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
so, have you seen Death Note triology? (not the anime, the ones with actual people in it) if yes, how was it?

I know this was directed at Luis, but my advice to you, stick to the anime or the manga.

.lava

Veteran Member
I know this was directed at Luis, but my advice to you, stick to the anime or the manga.

haha no problem and too late but i don't mind. i am a curious creature anyway :D for the first time, i want to see a manga, that's for sure..

since i am here again, here's another question for LuisDantas. do you remember any special vision from your childhood that takes you back in time? and how would you define your childhood?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So tell us your story with the soccer teams.

Actually, it is a private joke of sorts.

Soccer fan rivalries are strong, sometimes to the point of violence, here. I don't much care about soccer, but I learned to make fun of it by claiming to root for a certain team and tongue-in-cheekily reminding people of that as a justification for pretty much any effect that I might desire.

It covers everything, from a pretext for claiming discrimination to a reason to brag in a chauvinist way about any slight success I might have.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
do you remember any special vision from your childhood that takes you back in time?.

I don't think I do. In fact, my memories from before my 25 years of age are sort of dizzy. It is almost like I heard of them second hand.

and how would you define your childhood?

I may PM you if you really want to know. Publicly I will only say that I didn't take root anywhere, we were always moving from one place to another.

Sahar

LuisDantas said:
I assume that you have watched Grandizer already? It is a bit dated, but for reasons I can only speculate on, it seems to be a good match for Muslim sensibilities. It is certainly respected enough.

Ahahahaha....cool, how did you know this? It was my elder brothers' favorite anime and even to me. :D

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Glad to bring you the memories, not4me.

I spend an absolutely ridiculous amount of time researching ancient manga and anime. I arrived at Grandizer by way of Mazinger Z, which by its turn I learned about by way of a japanese video game franchise that I learned about while researching Daiku Maryu Gaiking, which I used to watch on Chilean TV as "El Gladiador" :)

Grandizer is a bit unlike its own companion shows in that it has the young kid (Koji Kabuto) as a sidekick instead of the star. The protagonist is a properly grown-up man. Yet at the same time they are both honorable people with a lot of respect for each other and the courage to take risks for all the right reasons. Or so I have heard.

Looks like quite the recipe for a hit in countries that value Muslim values if you ask me. I'd love to have feedback on that, either way.

Sahar

Mazinger, hahaha :D
Well, there is another old anime that was famous for many years: Mirai Shounen Conan, in Arabic it was named "Adnan and Lina" after the names of the boy and the girl:
200px-Future_Boy_Conan.gif

About the Muslim values part, of course there is picking of the anime depending on the genre, and the content. Most of the time, censorship of nudity scenes occur. I don't know, maybe that these shows are among the first that got dubbed into Arabic....and they were broadcast for many years. But I can say they are not in accordance with Muslim values completely, but relatively better than others.

Personally, when I was younger and started to search for anime by myself on the internet, I was shocked of of the content of some anime shows. Even those that are supposed to be oriented to the teenage age group. They like to focus on nudity, depict girls of 15 year old with exaggeration of their feminine distribution (if you get what I mean :D), the harem genre...in addition to the focus on sex in a strange way, of course this is for adult audience but still....not to mention the extreme violence....
Girls and women are portrayed very negatively in many cases. I remember watching an anime show that portrayed a relationship between a twin in a perverted way calling it "forbidden love"....of course, I didn't continue watching but I wondered how people there think. Some of the anime makers are just weird.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It certainly looks like the Japanese generally have less of nudity taboo than western people. And there is no point in denying that their fiction has lots of drama and exageration, often involving gender roles.

Myself, I find that fascinating. I have the good fortune to live reasonably close to the biggest colony of Japanese descendents outside Japan. It is such a clash of values, with so much useful to learn from each other!

Mirai Shounen Conan is an intriguing anime. It seems to have been dubbed and shown in Portugal, but not here in Brazil. I get the vibe that it has some real good values, and obviously a very clean, wholesome drawing style as well.

Last but not least, I'd like to suggest that the average Arab and the average Japanese approach their fiction in fairly different ways. Broadly speaking, I get the impression that most Japanese are all too aware of their own perversions (to whatever degree they may have then) and decided that feelings of shame are not true repentance, so they don't make too much effort to hide their feelings. Traditional as it is, Japanese culture has a healthy tolerance for deviant behavior.

Ultimately, I feel that I am generalizing too much out of desire for understanding and predicting other people.