• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to hell without committing a sin>

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I don't think sins really have much degree to them, A lie is just as much of a sin as say a murder is.
And as the bible says, It's the hearts of men that God judges. He's the one with the measuring stick I suppose, so what will definitely get you thrown into hell and what won't is up to Him.

As far as I know some cowards won't go to hell, some will. It depends on their hearts and what God sees in them.
Some sins are clearly worse than others.
This is clear do to the various degrees of punishments in the Bible for sin.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well we all sin, Christian, Jew and Atheist alike ..
There is none to judge atheists. They are solely responsible for their actions.

Hell or heaven (for those who believe in them, I don't) should be according to their deeds rather than their acceptance of one God or the other. All Indian religions accept that.

Last edited:

Thana

Lady
There is none to judge atheists. They are solely responsible for their actions.

Hell or heaven (for those who believe in them, I don't) should be according to their deeds rather than their acceptance of one God or the other. All Indian religions accept that.

Just as Theists are solely responsible for their actions... ?
And I don't think a good heart can be measured with deeds, I think that's faulty reasoning. But I don't doubt that it's good enough for some.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
In a DIR forum, Is Unbelief a Sin? it came to mind that there were a number of reasons god sends people to hell, and as I remembered them some had not been declared sins.

Reasons for being sent to hell
Revelation 21:8 lists; cowardliness, faithlessness, detestability, murder, sexual immorality, sorcery, idolatry, and lying.

Romans 2:6-8 lists; self-seeking and obeying unrighteousness (whatever that is)

Romans 2:12 being ignorant of god's law

So my question is, is it safe to assume all these things are sins? That being a coward or detestable are sins? That is: a sin can be considered to be anything that gets one thrown into hell?
sin is that which separates you from God and heaven....
in Spanish....sin means.....without

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
And there is no etymological link whatsoever. It is just a coincidence.

Of course, that will not convince you, but so are things.

Intojoy

“For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without the law: and as many as have sinned under the law shall be judged by the law;

(for when Gentiles that have not the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are the law unto themselves; in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness therewith, and their thoughts one with another accusing or else excusing them); in the day when God shall judge the secrets of men, according to my gospel, by Jesus Christ.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭2:12, 14-16‬ ‭ASV‬‬
http://bible.com/12/rom.2.12,14-16.asv

Thief

Rogue Theologian
And there is no etymological link whatsoever. It is just a coincidence.

Of course, that will not convince you, but so are things.
coincidence......granted....
I note it as some 'things' follow one another for cause other than coincidence.

some people believe in being chosen
and those not chosen are without choice.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Some do. I find that rather odd and sort of pointless, but sure, that does happen.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I just love how you talk about your opinions like they're facts.
I just love how you speak of things you know nothig about as though you do know something about it.

Yes, I can play pigeon chess just as good as the rest of them.
Do you really need me to educate you on the different punishments laid out in your own Bible?
From stoning, to the many different forms of capital punishment?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I just love how you speak of things you know nothig about as though you do know something about it.

Do you really need me to educate you on the different punishments laid out in your own Bible?
how about.....you ....getting stuck with someone like yourself?....forever

Tomorrows_Child

In a DIR forum, Is Unbelief a Sin? it came to mind that there were a number of reasons god sends people to hell, and as I remembered them some had not been declared sins.

Reasons for being sent to hell
Revelation 21:8 lists; cowardliness, faithlessness, detestability, murder, sexual immorality, sorcery, idolatry, and lying.

Romans 2:6-8 lists; self-seeking and obeying unrighteousness (whatever that is)

Romans 2:12 being ignorant of god's law

So my question is, is it safe to assume all these things are sins? That being a coward or detestable are sins? That is: a sin can be considered to be anything that gets one thrown into hell?

I know for sure in the Bible that killing and sexual immorality are sins.

Thana

Lady

What do you think?
Obviously I know my own bible, thanks.

And are the punishments for breaking the Law really because one sin is greater than the other, Or is it because one thing is more dangerous/disruptive to others than the other?
But really you can't trangress against God any more or less, because a transgression is a transgression and isn't measured, it just is and that's enough. Atleast I suppose, that's how I see it.

muhammad_isa

..But really you can't trangress against God any more or less, because a transgression is a transgression and isn't measured, it just is and that's enough...

That doesn't really make much sense, does it?
1. We trangress 'the law' , and not G-d
2. 'the law' prescribes punishments for various serious transgressions (sins) for the benefit of society, not G-d
3. There is not one person who has ever lived that is free from sin. That doesn't mean that everyone has committed serious crimes, does it!

Thana

Lady
That doesn't really make much sense, does it?
1. We trangress 'the law' , and not G-d
2. 'the law' prescribes punishments for various serious transgressions (sins) for the benefit of society, not G-d
3. There is not one person who has ever lived that is free from sin. That doesn't mean that everyone has committed serious crimes, does it!

Exactly, we're all sinners but that doesn't make us all murderers. And yet the same amount of salvation, of forgiveness, of mercy, of God essentially, is required for a murderer and a liar both and equally.
So doesn't that suggest that sin is just that, and isn't measured by God? A sin is a sin, and each is judged no more or less than any other.

Like I said though, this is just a thought I've been contemplating. It makes sense though, And I like the idea of it.

muhammad_isa

..At least I suppose, that's how I see it.A sin is a sin, and each is judged no more or less than any other..

Some sins can't be forgiven without repentance .. murder or adultery for instance..
If they are repeated, we in serious danger of losing our faith..

That doesn't mean that committing any sin doesn't matter .. it does, and we need to ask forgiveness, but their repitition is not so serious as long as we have good deeds alongside.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without the law: and as many as have sinned under the law shall be judged by the law;

(for when Gentiles that have not the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are the law unto themselves; in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness therewith, and their thoughts one with another accusing or else excusing them); in the day when God shall judge the secrets of men, according to my gospel, by Jesus Christ.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭2:12, 14-16‬ ‭ASV‬‬
http://bible.com/12/rom.2.12,14-16.asv

Do you understand what that is saying?

As I showed earlier - there is no "born with sin" - in Tanakh.

People are just born into the world which is full of sin, and sin choice.

You left out verses before 2:12, 14-16 that give meaning.

Rom 2:6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

Rom 2:7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

Rom 2:8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,

Rom 2:9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

Rom 2:10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

Rom 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and thus death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Rom 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

Rom 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

Edit - In other words - death is a human condition.