• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God wants different religions

Bree

God wants different religions to exist. God wants all human to live in peace with each other. God want us to learn to be kind to each other no matter what religion a person believes in. God has no spesific religion. God is behind different religions

Any thoughts? Do you agree or disagree?

Hi,

I have to disagree with the idea that God is behind different religions.

We have ample evidence in the Old Testament that religions existing in the ancient world did not have Gods backing, rather he supported the erradication of such religions from the lands given to the Isrealites. The laws God gave to the Isrealites included such rules as

Deut 13: “In case a prophet or one who foretells by dreams arises in your midst and gives you a sign or a portent, 2 and the sign or the portent about which he spoke to you comes true while he is saying, ‘Let us walk after other gods, gods that you have not known, and let us serve them,’ 3 you must not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer,+ for Jehovah your God is testing you+ to know whether you love Jehovah your God with all your heart and all your soul.*+ 4 After Jehovah your God you should walk, him you should fear, his commandments you should keep, to his voice you should listen; he is the one you should serve, and to him you should hold fast.+ 5 But that prophet or that dreamer should be put to death,+ because he encouraged rebellion against Jehovah your God—who brought you out of the land of Egypt and redeemed you from the house of slavery—to turn you from the way in which Jehovah your God has commanded you to walk. And you must remove what is evil from your midst

God does not tolerate other religions that worship idol gods. If other religions have Gods approval, then his laws as found in the bible would not speak of them as something to be despised.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
Can you list the peaceful religions out there?

The ones I'm familiar with have requirements of their own brand of truth for a person's salvation and seem to reject those that don't subscribe with eternal consequences.

I can understand having general religious wonder about existence. I can understand the desire for a Supreme God. However I cannot justify a lot of religions because they preach a truth that is dependent on faith and belief in things they couldn't possibly know to the exclusion of many different kinds of people.

I think it's true that some religions don't set up their truth above all humanity. Some religions even are more universal in nature.

What I understand the most is that people are in no position to know all the things they claim to be real. The most true position to me is to be agnostic without making assumptions about reality.

The most good humans can do is to come up with an evidence based morality that subscribes to all the positive virtues and values of the human race and excludes no one from those virtues and values.

My religion is my own, and it would be extremely unfair to expect everyone to adhere to it.

I have a general, universal acceptance of people regardless of religion or lack thereof. I think this is more beneficial to human decency.

Evidence-based morality? I've never heard of that. How do you prove that something is good or evil empirically?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Most conflicts in history were because of political/secular matters.
No issue with this, and this will continue no doubt, but one can hardly dispute the fact that religions have added to the causes of conflict and are often the most intractable ones to solve - given that many are the highest claims to one's sense of self as to beliefs about the world and such.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
If some deity put us on earth to win a nuclear war against other religions, it might want one very powerful and very aggressive, nonfeeliing group to win everything. The meek might not have anything to inherit, even if they survive.

Such a deity would have to be evil, I think?
That is not what I meant. What I meant is that God could have created us with the instinct to believe in Him, and Him only. After all, He created us with some common traits without asking us first. So, why not the traits of the God people will believe in?

Ergo, there would be no different religions., and no need to enforce believe X instead of belief Y.

no nuclear wars, no religion wars. Therefore, I think that a god that let people make up the divinity they believe in, knowing perfectly the misery it can bring, is evil as well.

ciao

- viole

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Evidence-based morality? I've never heard of that. How do you prove that something is good or evil empirically?

It's self evident, the kinds of things no one should be allowed to do. It's also self evident what good things can and do happen.

People know good and evil in the heart, and by the fruits of their actions.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
there was a time when God delt with one nation and was only happy with that people when they did what they were told to do . he has standards. today religion is all over the place in belief , yet God does not change

Oh. You are speaking from your own religions perspective.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Presumably the earliest religion is the most authentic, because the bible has been altered the least. Yet, many protestants have tried to reform a church that they perceived had strayed from its proper path. That was the entire thrust of the Lutheren religion. But, Martin Luther was a bigot, and he had hatred in his heart.

It is difficult to be on the right path while following a leader on the wrong path.

Why do you say that the bible has been altered the least?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Presumably the earliest religion is the most authentic, because the bible has been altered the least. Yet, many protestants have tried to reform a church that they perceived had strayed from its proper path. That was the entire thrust of the Lutheren religion. But, Martin Luther was a bigot, and he had hatred in his heart.

It is difficult to be on the right path while following a leader on the wrong path.
On the other hand, like science, it tends to be the later findings that are more aligned with the truth, such that I wouldn't bank on an earlier religion being any more likely to be true than a later one (and often just reflecting the times) - but then all might not be true, and simply flow from the same source - that being, human creativity.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
There are two kinds of religion. The religion of God which consists of the Prophet and His teachings and the religion of man run by priests and clergy.

Obedience to a Prophet’s teachings to be kind to all, to love all and not to kill or harm, is the cause of peace and harmony whereas, as history clearly has shown, the religion run by many leaders, clergy and priests, has inflicted upon humanity endless wars, bloodshed, hatreds and prejudices, all for lust for power and wealth.

Thus the constant need for the renewal of religion.

Whenever a religion declines then God sends another Prophet, Buddha, Christ or Teacher to renew the spirit of true love and brotherhood amidst men.

So in this day, when we see the major religions in decline and cannot be at peace with one another or create world peace, we can be sure that God has already sent another One to guide us back to unity and peace in this age.

And I personally believe that One to be Baha’u’llah Who’s main teaching is the oneness of all mankind.

firedragon

Veteran Member
No issue with this, and this will continue no doubt, but one can hardly dispute the fact that religions have added to the causes of conflict and are often the most intractable ones to solve - given that many are the highest claims to one's sense of self as to beliefs about the world and such.

How do you presume? And what are your historical sources?

danieldemol

Premium Member
God is behind different religions
To be honest, I think it more likely that all religions are man-made.

But if they are God inspired then God's light is clearly being coloured by the individual lenses that receive it.

In my opinion.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
How do you presume? And what are your historical sources?
Presume? Difficult to cite anything as to source other that what one has observed over a lifetime and what one takes in as news/information and such. Which bit are you particularly querying?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Hi,

I have to disagree with the idea that God is behind different religions.

We have ample evidence in the Old Testament that religions existing in the ancient world did not have Gods backing, rather he supported the erradication of such religions from the lands given to the Isrealites. The laws God gave to the Isrealites included such rules as

Deut 13: “In case a prophet or one who foretells by dreams arises in your midst and gives you a sign or a portent, 2 and the sign or the portent about which he spoke to you comes true while he is saying, ‘Let us walk after other gods, gods that you have not known, and let us serve them,’ 3 you must not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer,+ for Jehovah your God is testing you+ to know whether you love Jehovah your God with all your heart and all your soul.*+ 4 After Jehovah your God you should walk, him you should fear, his commandments you should keep, to his voice you should listen; he is the one you should serve, and to him you should hold fast.+ 5 But that prophet or that dreamer should be put to death,+ because he encouraged rebellion against Jehovah your God—who brought you out of the land of Egypt and redeemed you from the house of slavery—to turn you from the way in which Jehovah your God has commanded you to walk. And you must remove what is evil from your midst

God does not tolerate other religions that worship idol gods. If other religions have Gods approval, then his laws as found in the bible would not speak of them as something to be despised.

Wasn’t this passage being addressed to the Jews and didn’t they use this to justify putting Jesus to death? Because it seems that the Jews applied this to Christ and put Him to death as it says to do with anyone showing signs and portents and Jesus healed the sick just by touch and some believe raise the physically dead to life.

While this passage is being used to dismiss the validity of other faiths, it was also used by the Jews to persecute and deny Jesus.

I don’t think passages like this are any evidence that God did not create different religions otherwise if that is the interpretation then it could be applied to Jesus as well as He showed wonders and miracles and such signs.

The Bible, I believe, was more referring to religious leaders who led men astray when Jesus appeared, than any of the Prophets which gave their lives for God.

syo

Who says? Between Catholics and Protestants, which approach is authentic?
Your claim: 'Religions'' are tested.

My question: What sort of objective tests are here?

Your reply:

OK, give an example of an objective test of religion, and how it proves a religion is true. Don't be afraid to give a lengthy answer, and use facts.
Religion speaks of eternal beings. Eternal beings are needed to explain us. :)

And that's all. :)

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
God wants different religions to exist. God wants all human to live in peace with each other. God want us to learn to be kind to each other no matter what religion a person believes in. God has no specific religion. God is behind different religions Any thoughts? Do you agree or disagree?
Since Satan is the 'god' of this world of badness (2 Corinthians 4:4) then this system is under Satan's influence.
In the old Hebrew Scriptures we find the God of the Bible only chose ONE religion to exist for Him.
Jesus too taught that God's Word (Scripture) is religious truth - John 17:17
Since God wants peace then there would be only one way for peace and harmony to exist.
So, the MANY who just 'come in Jesus' name' prove false according to Matthew 7:21-23.

night912

God wants different religions to exist. God wants all human to live in peace with each other. God want us to learn to be kind to each other no matter what religion a person believes in. God has no spesific religion. God is behind different religions

Any thoughts? Do you agree or disagree?
I don't know. God didn't reply back to me.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
....... What I meant is that God could have created us with the instinct to believe in Him, and Him only. After all, He created us with some common traits without asking us first. So, why not the traits of the God people will believe in?
Ergo, there would be no different religions., and no need to enforce believe X instead of belief Y.
no nuclear wars, no religion wars. Therefore, I think that a god that let people make up the divinity they believe in, knowing perfectly the misery it can bring, is evil as well. ciao - viole

As with Adam, I find God forces No one to worship Him. God gifts all with free-will choices.
Adam was told if he did Not obey his God that death would then come to him - Genesis 2:17
Adam started out with God's traits in God's image such as love, justice, wisdom and mercy.
Adam, who was not forced to obey God, decided to go along with Eve's choice.
If Adam remained faithful to his God there would be only one way of worship on Earth.
No wars either religious nor nuclear, etc.
Adam, Not God, set up People Rule as superior to God Rule.
Only the passing of time would allow for us to be born and think who we would like as Sovereign over us.
Man's long history now shows us that Man has dominated Man to Man's hurt, Man's injury.
Man will Not end the misery, that is why God will have Jesus step in to bring Peace on Earth.- Psalms 46:9