• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God or Ghosts

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Which has the most evidence for existence?

Which one is scarier to you? Why?

Erebus

For the sake of this thread, I'm going to rule out Pantheism and view God as referring to the omnipotent, omniscient creator of the universe and the only deity in existence.

With that in mind, I would have to say that ghosts are more likely to exist. Ghosts have a few things going for them that God doesn't:

There are photographs of ghosts.
Every culture I'm aware of has ghost folklore of some sort. On the other hand, monotheism isn't found in every culture.
In order for there to be a single God, you would have to assume every polytheistic culture is flat out wrong. Ghosts don't present that issue.
God presents further complications if you add omnibenevolence to his nature (namely, the problem of evil). Ghosts don't present that issue either.

None of that comes close to proving the existence of ghosts. However, If we're weighing the probability that ghosts exist vs the probability that God exists, I would say the points I listed would give a slight edge to ghosts.

As for which one is scarier, you can make arguments either way. If God exists and sends people to Hell, he's infinitely scarier than a ghost that can't harm anybody. If God doesn't exist but ghosts do and they're able to cause harm, then ghosts would be scarier. You can go back and forth on this ad nauseam. With that in mind, I'll sum it up in a way that can be measured objectively: There are more horror films about ghosts than there are about God, therefore ghosts are scarier. Case closed ;)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Never seen any falsifiable evidence for either so scary? As scary as any story can be.

What does scare me is god believers who consider what ever they do to be good because their god wouldn't let them do evil.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Short story:

God to pig: wanna go heaven ?
Pig to God: will decide with my wife and tell you tomorrow. :)
Next day, God to pig: what you decided ?
Pig to God: actually first my wife want to make sure -- is there plenty of dirt for us to enjoy there ? :)

I could reply to that but it will no doubt break several rules so i won't

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It's sad if anyone truly has fear of God who is all loving. They're trapped in a reward/punishment model.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Ghosts have more straightforward evidence for their existence.

Neither scares me. Ghosts are signs of an afterlife which is a good thing in my opinion. I just don't overly worry about bad living or dead people. God/Brahman is pure infinite consciousness. Certainly fear isn't applicable there either.