• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is an Atheist

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
God does not believe someone created him. Therefore god is an atheist.

So true.

Also, with the same reasoning (I think... correct me if I'm wrong), since a being can only be moral if there's a superior being from where morality comes, God is immoral.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
A point of curiosity: how exactly do you know what the one-god thinks or believes?

And I'm assuming you're talking about the one-god of the Bible-based religions, because the statement makes a lot less sense from other theological points of view.

Philomath

Sadhaka
A point of curiosity: how exactly do you know what the one-god thinks or believes?

I'm not sure either but this an interesting point.

And I'm assuming you're talking about the one-god of the Bible-based religions, because the statement makes a lot less sense from other theological points of view.

His statement is basically applicable to every type of Theism except for Polytheism, and Henotheism.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
His statement is basically applicable to every type of Theism except for Polytheism, and Henotheism.

Naw, there's more of them it doesn't apply to than those. It only applies to theism that posits:

1. That there is only one god; gods creating other gods is extremely commonplace in non-monotheistic theologies.
  2. That "creation" and "creator" are distinctly separate; god is transcendent or fully separate from the world/creation rather than immanent or synonymous with the world/creation.
  3. That god is personified and assumed to think in human terms; it is not necessarily the case that god "believes" anything.

So yeah. With that, it basically only applies to classical monotheism: a personal, one-god creator that is distinctly separate from the world. It doesn't apply to polytheism, it doesn't apply to pantheism, nor panentheism, nor deism, nor animism, nor duotheism, nor henotheism, nor monolatry. And I might be missing a few in here somewhere.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian

Duh.
So the term atheist requires no belief in Something Greater?

Ok.

If God cannot belief in Something Greater than Himself......atheist.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
God might be an agnostic. We don't know where the heck s/he came from, why assume s/he does?
S/he could be right now posting on the divine version of RF, stating that s/he's pretty sure s/he was created, since nothing is eternal, and some jerkoff from a different pantheon is giving him/her the whole 'We sit OUTSIDE the universe line'. Don't buy it, God, you stick fat with your beliefs.

Sidenote, I'm using s/he to show solidarity against the oppression of using male language to describe non-male/female roles. Frankly, it's a pain in the ****, and it makes the sentence even more awkward to read than my lack of writing ability does. I'm going back to being a misogynist. Sorry!

Philomath

Sadhaka
Naw, there's more of them it doesn't apply to than those. It only applies to theism that posits:

1. That there is only one god; gods creating other gods is extremely commonplace in non-monotheistic theologies.
  2. That "creation" and "creator" are distinctly separate; god is transcendent or fully separate from the world/creation rather than immanent or synonymous with the world/creation.
  3. That god is personified and assumed to think in human terms; it is not necessarily the case that god "believes" anything.

So yeah. With that, it basically only applies to classical monotheism: a personal, one-god creator that is distinctly separate from the world. It doesn't apply to polytheism, it doesn't apply to pantheism, nor panentheism, nor deism, nor animism, nor duotheism, nor henotheism, nor monolatry. And I might be missing a few in here somewhere.

Looks like I was wrong. I forgot about all those other forms of Theism. I guess this really only applies to the Monotheistic idea of God then.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
What does not being created have to do with anything? Why would you need a creator to believe you exist? You would need self awareness. If God realizes he's God then he is not going to be an atheist.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Which God? Zeus the father of the gods was certainly created from a more primal god. The same goes for many chief gods and pantheons of major civilizations in antiquity who's gods are actually a younger generation of gods who rebelled against and overthrew the elder gods.