• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and homosexuality.

leov

You mean God deciding to kill Adam and Eve because they ate some fruit.
I agree. God functionally kill every human since, because He couldn't undo the effects of eating some fruit.

Doesn't really give me reason to take your God image seriously.
Tom
Nothing's new , knee jerk to literal reading...

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Nothing's new , knee jerk to literal reading...
Rather like the literal meaning of Leviticus 20 13 is commonly used to explain that God hates F*gs.

If you think that believing what the Bible says is a problem, then why don't you take Christian people up on that? Why don't you tell Christian people that they're wrong to believe what the Bible clearly says?

Why do you put so much effort into telling me that I'm wrong for believing that God meant what He said in the Bible?
Tom

leov

Rather like the literal meaning of Leviticus 20 13 is commonly used to explain that God hates F*gs.

If you think that believing what the Bible says is a problem, then why don't you take Christian people up on that? Why don't you tell Christian people that they're wrong to believe what the Bible clearly says?

Why do you put so much effort into telling me that I'm wrong for believing that God meant what He said in the Bible?
Tom
I am a Gnostic Christian, my interpretations , or most of them, would be heresy for the main stream Christianity which is literal readers.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Why God did not like it ? I give you an example that basically explains the reason, imo.

Study looks at HIV infections in Middle East and North Africa

Comparative prevalence rates of sexually transmitted diseases in heterosexual and homosexual men. - PubMed - NCBI

Overall, homosexual men were significantly (p < 0.001) more likely than heterosexual men to have gonorrhea (30.31% vs. 19.83%), early syphilis (1.08% vs. 0.34%) and anal warts (2.90% vs. 0.26%) but less likely to have nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) (14.63% vs. 36.40%, p < 0.001), herpes genitalis (0.93% vs. 3.65%, p < 0.001), pediculosis pubis (4.30% vs. 5.35%, p < 0.005), scabies (0.42% vs. 0.76%, p < 0.02), and genital warts (1.68% vs. 6.69%, p < 0.001).

Following your logic, if HIV being easily transmitted through anal sex (and homosexuals, for obvious reasons will have more anal sex, off course) is the reason why god doesn't like it....

Then why are all the STDs in bold above, which are more easily transmitted through heterosexual intercourse, then not a reason not to like hetero sex either to the same extent?

In fact........................ why did your god even create these STDs in the first place?
If he wanted us to not enjoy sex and to not engage in it unless it's for procreation, then perhaps he shouldn't have given us the ability to orgasm.

In fact................ if god doesn't like homosexuality, then why create humans (or most other animals, for that matter) in such a way that being a homosexual is even within the spectrum of biological possibilities???

Your argument falls flat on its face. Sooner or later in your "defense", your hand will be forced and you'll necessarily have to retreat in either an argument from authority or special pleading if you wish to stick to your position.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
How about you start by proving your god is more than a (rather unpleasant) character in some old books of myths?
Frankly, I'm not into proving much of anything along these lines. However, for at least some clarification, maybe read "My Faith Statement" at the bottom of my posts.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I am a Gnostic Christian, my interpretations , or most of them, would be heresy for the main stream Christianity which is literal readers.
So, the large majority of Christians think you're a heretic.

One of things I have noticed over my lifetime.
Christianity has no real meaning. It's just whatever some human who claims to be a Christian believes.
Could be almost anything.
Tom

leov

Comparative prevalence rates of sexually transmitted diseases in heterosexual and homosexual men. - PubMed - NCBI

Overall, homosexual men were significantly (p < 0.001) more likely than heterosexual men to have gonorrhea (30.31% vs. 19.83%), early syphilis (1.08% vs. 0.34%) and anal warts (2.90% vs. 0.26%) but less likely to have nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) (14.63% vs. 36.40%, p < 0.001), herpes genitalis (0.93% vs. 3.65%, p < 0.001), pediculosis pubis (4.30% vs. 5.35%, p < 0.005), scabies (0.42% vs. 0.76%, p < 0.02), and genital warts (1.68% vs. 6.69%, p < 0.001).

Following your logic, if HIV being more easily transmitted through anal sex (and homosexuals, for obvious reasons will have more anal sex, off course) is the reason why god doesn't like it....

Then why are all the STDs in bold above, which are more easily transmitted through heterosexual intercourse, then not a reason not to like hetero sex either to the same extent?

In fact........................ why did your god even create these STDs in the first place?
If he wanted us to not enjoy sex and to not engage in it unless it's for procreation, then perhaps he shouldn't have given us the ability to orgasm.

In fact................ if god doesn't like homosexuality, then why create humans (or most other animals, for that matter) in such a way that being a homosexual is even within the spectrum of biological possibilities???

Your argument falls flat on its face. Sooner or later in your "defense", your hand will be forced and you'll necessarily have to retreat in either an argument from authority or special pleading if you wish to stick to your position.
That is not what I am trying to convey, just that God wanted to protect physical and mental health of upcoming generations.

leov

So, the large majority of Christians think you're a heretic.

One of things I have noticed over my lifetime.
Christianity has no real meaning. It's just whatever some human who claims to be a Christian believes.
Could be almost anything.
Tom
It is not like this in Gnostic community, faith is a start knowledge is continuation, continuation was abolished soon after Pail.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I will as soon as you prove life came from a mix of dead chemicals, or you prove how the universe came into existence.

Where did you same him claiming he knows that?
How is this relevant?

However, the question is structured with a presupposition that God made folk homosexuals. That is, they are born as homosexuals.

Well, people certainly don't "choose" their sexuality.
Gay people are just gay. It's not a choice.

If you, honestly, feel like you CAN choose to find same-gender sex attractive and interesting and arousing.... then I got news for you....

There is no scientific consensus on this, it has not been proven people are born as homosexuals. There certainly is no homosexual gene.

There is pretty much consensus that sexual orientation is not a matter of choice but rather a matter of biological makeup. That the underlying actual biological explanation is unclear at this point, is not a problem to come to that conclusion. Choice has been ruled out by just about all proper studies.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
That is not what I am trying to convey,

Then I have no idea what you are trying to convey....

I mean... an OP with just one line and a link. The line basically reads "here's why god doesn't like gays", and the link goes to an article talking about HIV infection as a result of gay sex.

What else could you be trying to convey, other then "HIV is bad and gay sex allows for infection therefor gay sex is bad"?

just that God wanted to protect physical and mental health of upcoming generations.

I don't see, at all, how that ties into the article linked as the article isn't dealing with mental health at all... but, in fact, rather with how social taboo and religious homophobic oppresions is enabling a rapid spread of HIV because there is no help and education possible, because it is considered criminal behaviour.

It seems to me that if God wanted to protect "physical and mental health", he'ld hold the exact opposite position concerning homosexuality... He wouldn't push it into a criminal box and thereby force gay people to live in the shadow, under the radar, without safety net, in constant fear of being discovered, with no hopes for the future of being able to enjoy a loving relationship with someone and live your life and instead having to constantly watch what you say, how you act, what you stare at, etc etc etc.

Gay people all over the world are suffering, not because they are gay, but because they live in societies that are engulfed in homophobia with religious underpinnings, endorsed, nay - commanded, by the gods those societies believe in.

Indeed.... if god cared about physical and mental help, he'ld do the exact oppsite of THIS.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It is not like this in Gnostic community, faith is a start knowledge is continuation, continuation was abolished soon after Pail.
So, why would I believe that you know more about Christianity or God or anything like that than I do?

Because you don't know what Christianity really means, but I don't know anything?
Seriously.
You've said enough things that I know aren't true to lose any credibility concerning your implausible assertions.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That is not what I am trying to convey, just that God wanted to protect physical and mental health of upcoming generations.
So why didn't God say anything about condoms or penicillin or aspirin or......

Actually, I already know. Because there is no God who cares about anything, much less what humans do or believe or what happens to them.
Tom

shmogie

Where did you same him claiming he knows that?
How is this relevant?

Well, people certainly don't "choose" their sexuality.
Gay people are just gay. It's not a choice.

If you, honestly, feel like you CAN choose to find same-gender sex attractive and interesting and arousing.... then I got news for you....

There is pretty much consensus that sexual orientation is not a matter of choice but rather a matter of biological makeup. That the underlying actual biological explanation is unclear at this point, is not a problem to come to that conclusion. Choice has been ruled out by just about all proper studies.
If there is a scientific consensus, then it must be based upon scientific fact, not political talking points.