• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Give me Truth.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
By definition, truth is exclusive. If a statement becomes relative, that is no longer the truth, that's an opinion. Yes, the map is only a reflection of the territory, but you can get poorly drawn maps, or just plain bad ones.
Do you mean exclusive in that it is limited to its context, or exclusive in that it excludes other possibilities? (Falsification is exclusive in that respect.)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
By definition, truth is exclusive. If a statement becomes relative, that is no longer the truth, that's an opinion. Yes, the map is only a reflection of the territory, but you can get poorly drawn maps, or just plain bad ones.
Please give an an example of a non-relational (non-relative) statement.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Facts represent the truth.

Yes. The mind cannot understand the laws of God, but only obey. The reason for this is because Gods natural laws exist outside the material plane of existence.

Facts define the truth.

Frog

Cult of Kek.
Maybe go with the guy that made the boldest claim?

'Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. ' John 14:6
We must follow his teaching to find truth? I could get on board with that. I do not find a parable of Jesus that does not make sense.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Facts exist on the human plane. Truth does not conform to human existence. Therefore facts represent the truth only in human terms, and do not define it.

Well, it seems you have found your truth. Now prove your statement.

Thinking Homer

Understanding and challenging different worldviews
We must follow his teaching to find truth? I could get on board with that. I do not find a parable of Jesus that does not make sense.

As far as I am concerned, after studying Hinduism and Islam, the religion that has the most coherent and consistent worldview is Christianity. And salvation does not rely on doing good works or deeds, just one confession.

'that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. For the Scripture says, " whoever believes in him will not be disappointed ." ' Romans 10:9-11

There, saved, lol :D

Frog

Cult of Kek.
As far as I am concerned, after studying Hinduism and Islam, the religion that has the most coherent and consistent worldview is Christianity. And salvation does not rely on doing good works or deeds, just one confession.

'that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. For the Scripture says, " whoever believes in him will not be disappointed ." ' Romans 10:9-11

There, saved, lol :D
I am stoked and excited to die now.:)

Thinking Homer

Understanding and challenging different worldviews
Relational between metres and centimeters.

I'm not quite sure what you are arguing here. I said the truth is exclusive correct? That means there is such a thing as an absolute truth:

1m=100cm (Absolute truth)

When you say that truth is relative, what you are saying is that 1m could equal 40cm; 1m could equal 130cm and so forth. Hence I said truth excludes all these other numbers.

A Vestigial Mote

My best explanations start with an indifferent, unaware/non-conscious universe - everything in it falling within the bucket-term "natural." At the basest level there are "laws" that all reality abides by that simply "are" with no further explanation required. Indeed, for there to be ANY sort of perceptible reality at all, it would have to have such a fundamental level at which going "further down" to try and find explanations will simply yield no results. In my explanations, the matter of the universe is simply adhering to its own fundamental laws of action and interaction when elements and compounds come together to form objects of greater, relative complexity. This could be posited as a level of "consciousness" that pervades the universe, I suppose, but that is entirely unnecessary. What is, is. What is not, is not. The matter of the universe seems to always be seeking that best-case relationship, the filling of the void, a more stable configuration. In my explanation, given the right circumstances, materials and time, life is the inevitable result of these base-level laws in action, with the (relatively) complex matter forming life seeking the best-case relationships - which result first in objects that appear to have a "will" or a "plan" (like viruses), and ultimately lead to further levels of "will" and "plan" (consciousness/sentience).

Frog

Cult of Kek.
Well, it seems you have found your truth. Now prove your statement.
I'll try.
A Fact is created by man to represent mans truth. What he sees. They are true to the extent by being conformable to 1 objective.
Truth cannot be created to express ones objective. Truth already exists.
The absolute truth is self evident and all facts depend upon the absolute truth to be factual.

Audie

Veteran Member
Right now, I want you to breakdown step-by-step, or crunched down to your best, the very best possible explanation you have at this moment, of the secrets of life and the universe, and what they resonate to you.

If everything is relative and sits under the lamp of truth, which is absolute, you should have no problem freely expressing your ultimate picture of the universe unscrutinized and unscrupulous. Knowing full well that everything that cometh from the human mouth is filtered and a lie.
That which is perceiveth and thrown into words and uttered is filtered by that very organ to which Jesus fought with and is hereby proclaim Satan or the Human Mind.

But he turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.”

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I'm not quite sure what you are arguing here. I said the truth is exclusive correct? That means there is such a thing as an absolute truth:

1m=100cm (Absolute truth)

When you say that truth is relative, what you are saying is that 1m could equal 40cm; 1m could equal 130cm and so forth. Hence I said truth excludes all these other numbers.
Curvature of spacetime isn't doing you any favours, n9r is relativistic stretching.