• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Give me Truth.

PureX

Veteran Member
Humans cannot know "truth" as an absolute ideal. The best we can do is determine what "works" according to our current understanding and experience of reality.

Frog

Cult of Kek.
Humans cannot know "truth" as an absolute ideal. The best we can do is determine what "works" according to our current understanding and experience of reality.
What about religious truth?
How about faith in the truth?
If the truth is never judged and was observed through the eyes of obedient angels who took it as if from the absolute father.
How do we know that absolute truth cannot be known? Is Nirvana a myth? Is enlightenment a myth?
I'd assume that truth in its absolute form can not be to its full degree communicated orally but only experienced through the full sensory apparatus of the human physiology.

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Was hoping to have a serious agrument but seems people would rather play games, post nonsense. True and Truth are completely different words.
Your definition of Truth has nothing to do with Truth but of the word "true" which has to do with the correction of misaligned wheels on a grocery cart. sigh...:(
True and truth are both relational concepts. I really don't understand how you can associate "absolute" with true or truth, except perhaps when it gets to the point that words fail. Even then, it does not mean there is nothing beyond words, so "absolute" is deceptive in that respect. (In the sense that it implies "nothing to see here folks, move along.")

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Was hoping to have a serious agrument but seems people would rather play games, post nonsense. True and Truth are completely different words.
Your definition of Truth has nothing to do with Truth but of the word "true" which has to do with the correction of misaligned wheels on a grocery cart. sigh...:(
If your description of the reality is misaligned, then it isn't true.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Truth never changes. By definition truth is considered that of actuality and cant be negotiated. You could see it almost as being dished out by nature or God and is nonnegotiable.

Uh-oh! Facts never change; truth is determined by facts and changes accordingly. Everyone has to find their own truth.

Frog

Cult of Kek.
True and truth are both relational concepts. I really don't understand how you can associate "absolute" with true or truth, except perhaps when it gets to the point that words fail. Even then, it does not mean there is nothing beyond words, so "absolute" is deceptive in that respect. (In the sense that it implies "nothing to see here folks, move along.")
Truth is the truth, it never changes therefore it is absolute.

PureX

Veteran Member
What about religious truth?
How about faith in the truth?
If the truth is never judged and was observed through the eyes of obedient angels who took it as if from the absolute father.
How do we know that absolute truth cannot be known? Is Nirvana a myth? Is enlightenment a myth?
I'd assume that truth in its absolute form can not be to its full degree communicated but only experienced.
It's all about faith, not "truth". The truth of faith is that it works. We know this because it works. We believe in whatever ideas and ideals work for us, because they work for us. We call those ideals "the truth", when in fact they are just ideas and ideals that we hold as being true, because they work for us.

Frog

Cult of Kek.
Uh-oh! Facts never change; truth is determined by facts and changes accordingly. Everyone has to find their own truth.
Facts represent the truth.
Do you understand that this is the equivalent of stating everything is absolutely relativistic?
Yes. The mind cannot understand the laws of God, but only obey. The reason for this is because Gods natural laws exist outside the material plane of existence.

Frog

Cult of Kek.
The truth is "what is". And "what is", is always changing.
The nature of Truth never changes, only our minds outlook on it does . There is a way to grab it with my hands. There must be.

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
the very best possible explanation [...] of the secrets of life and the universe, and what they resonate to you.
The best I can make of life, the universe and everything, on what I presently know, includes

That materialism ─ the view that the only entities and processes that exist are those acknowledged by the physical sciences from time to time ─ is the most coherent and useful evidence-based view, though the reductionism it implies remains a substantial problem ie a work in progress. It provides, for example, an objective test for 'truth', defined as correspondence with (objective) reality, even though changes in eg scientific understanding mean that truth changes.

That there are no absolutes outside this sentence.

That human life is explained by biology and by the overarching theory of evolution. We can live on earth, flourish at 1g, breath oxygen, survive by eating the biology of our environment, reproduce, because we've evolved to do so, and so on. If we lived on a planet where our trace elements existed either in great abundance or inaccessibly, we'd die either from overdose or lack. We're finetuned to Earth.

That evolution has provided the basic purposes of human life, which are to survive long enough to breed (and after seeing your offspring to independence, then incidentally to survive longer so as to provide wisdom to the younglings of your tribe or to play model trains in the attic).

There's probably more, but that's the outline.
the lamp of truth, which is absolute
No, as I said, truth isn't absolute. It's our best understanding of reality for the time being. For example, at various times it's been true that the world was flat and the sun went round it, that fire was the manifestation of phlogiston, that light was mediated by the lumeniferous ether, &c, and now it isn't. It wasn't true that the Higgs boson is real until its existence was confirmed to the satisfaction of scientists expert in that field, and after that it was true. In a hundred years, a lot of things that are true now won't be.

Thinking Homer

Understanding and challenging different worldviews
By definition, truth is not "absolute," it is a relational statement. The map is not the territory.

By definition, truth is exclusive. If a statement becomes relative, that is no longer the truth, that's an opinion. Yes, the map is only a reflection of the territory, but you can get poorly drawn maps, or just plain bad ones.

David T

Premium Member
Right now, I want you to breakdown step-by-step, or crunched down to your best, the very best possible explanation you have at this moment, of the secrets of life and the universe, and what they resonate to you.

If everything is relative and sits under the lamp of truth, which is absolute, you should have no problem freely expressing your ultimate picture of the universe unscrutinized and unscrupulous. Knowing full well that everything that cometh from the human mouth is filtered and a lie.
That which is perceiveth and thrown into words and uttered is filtered by that very organ to which Jesus fought with and is hereby proclaim Satan or the Human Mind.

But he turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.”
Never trust anyone over 30 they are all clueless idiots.. Trust me i am an expert i am over 30..

Thinking Homer

Understanding and challenging different worldviews
Right now, I want you to breakdown step-by-step, or crunched down to your best, the very best possible explanation you have at this moment, of the secrets of life and the universe, and what they resonate to you.

If everything is relative and sits under the lamp of truth, which is absolute, you should have no problem freely expressing your ultimate picture of the universe unscrutinized and unscrupulous. Knowing full well that everything that cometh from the human mouth is filtered and a lie.
That which is perceiveth and thrown into words and uttered is filtered by that very organ to which Jesus fought with and is hereby proclaim Satan or the Human Mind.

But he turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.”

Maybe go with the guy that made the boldest claim?

'Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. ' John 14:6