• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Give me Truth.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I'll try.
A Fact is created by man to represent mans truth. What he sees. They are true to the extent by being conformable to 1 objective.
Truth cannot be created to express ones objective.
The absolute truth is self evident and all facts depend upon the absolute truth to be factual.
If the absolute truth is "self evident " what is the absolute truth?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I'll try.
A Fact is created by man to represent mans truth. What he sees. They are true to the extent by being conformable to 1 objective.
Truth cannot be created to express ones objective. Truth already exists.
The absolute truth is self evident and all facts depend upon the absolute truth to be factual.

Fact is I believe you've got this completely backward. A truth is invented by man based on whatever fact is available. Truth changes as more irrefutable facts emerge. Example: early truth-the sun circles the earth; proven fact-the earth circles the sun; new truth (based on fact)-the earth circles the sun. See how it works?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Right now, I want you to breakdown step-by-step, or crunched down to your best, the very best possible explanation you have at this moment, of the secrets of life and the universe, and what they resonate to you.

If everything is relative and sits under the lamp of truth, which is absolute, you should have no problem freely expressing your ultimate picture of the universe unscrutinized and unscrupulous. Knowing full well that everything that cometh from the human mouth is filtered and a lie.
That which is perceiveth and thrown into words and uttered is filtered by that very organ to which Jesus fought with and is hereby proclaim Satan or the Human Mind.

But he turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.”

I usually say life cease to exist. Here is another way to look at it instead of total annihilation

So the next time you watch a fire going out, see it not as a case of annihilation, but as a lesson in how freedom is to be found in letting go Refuge: An Introduction to the Buddha, Dhamma, & Sangha

I was never an afterlife person. The differing views are cool nonetheless.

Frog

Cult of Kek.
A truth is invented by man based on whatever fact is available.
The truth cannot be manipulated and was never invented by man nor could it be. Only facts or evidence are used to justify mans objective,

Truth changes as more irrefutable facts emerge
Truth remains the same however many more facts you wish to produce. Only thing that changes is mans interpretation towards the facts.
You will never get the absolute truth from facts alone.

Kangaroo Feathers

Fact is I believe you've got this completely backward. A truth is invented by man based on whatever fact is available. Truth changes as more irrefutable facts emerge. Example: early truth-the sun circles the earth; proven fact-the earth circles the sun; new truth (based on fact)-the earth circles the sun. See how it works?
It was always true that the Earth revolves around the Sun. Truth is not determined by perception.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I'm not quite sure what you are arguing here. I said the truth is exclusive correct? That means there is such a thing as an absolute truth:

1m=100cm (Absolute truth)

When you say that truth is relative, what you are saying is that 1m could equal 40cm; 1m could equal 130cm and so forth. Hence I said truth excludes all these other numbers.
I said truth is relational, therefore relativistic. A statement can be relativistic and untrue, or it can relativistic and be true.
Whenever the word absolute gets thrown in, that's when I get skeptical. Absolutes usually have to have relational boundaries in order to hold true, therefore they are relativistic, not absolute.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
It was always true that the Earth revolves around the Sun. Truth is not determined by perception.

No, the fact is that the Earth revolved around the Sun. The truth was what the church convinced people to believe. The truth changed to reflect the fact. If for some cataclysmic reason the Sun did start revolving around the Earth then the fact would change and thus the truth should change accordingly. However, if no one believed the change happened then the accepted truth would be that the Earth still revolves around the Sun.

Kangaroo Feathers

No, the fact is that the Earth revolved around the Sun. The truth was what the church convinced people to believe. The truth changed to reflect the fact. If for some cataclysmic reason the Sun did start revolving around the Earth then the fact would change and thus the truth should change accordingly. However, if no one believed the change happened then the accepted truth would be that the Earth still revolves around the Sun.
Truth is not subjective. You are talking about what people BELIEVED was true, not what actually WAS true.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The truth cannot be manipulated and was never invented by man nor could it be. Only facts or evidence are used to justify mans objective,

Truth remains the same however many more facts you wish to produce. Only thing that changes is mans interpretation towards the facts.
You will never get the absolute truth from facts alone.

If you read your post carefully you can probably see the fallacy in your statement (and thus prove my case). You just said that the truth would not change no matter how many facts are presented. Therefore, truth has to be relative to the believer only.

Frog

Cult of Kek.
If you read your post carefully you can probably see the fallacy in your statement (and thus prove my case). You just said that the truth would not change no matter how many facts are presented. Therefore, truth has to be relative to the believer only.
Truth is primordial absolution. Those who question the truth do so relatively. Humans do not have the vocabulary to describe the infinite parameters that that pertain to our reality.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Truth is not subjective. You are talking about what people BELIEVED was true, not what actually WAS true.

Truth, since the first truth, is always subjective to fact. Example: many believe there are alien lifeforms out there; many don't. Until we have proof (facts) both beliefs are true because one cannot be proven and one cannot be disproved.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Truth is absolute. Those who question the truth do so relatively

From what I am presented I think it's probably true that you are a small, green, chain-smoking amphibian that can type. That may change as I am presented with more facts.

Frog

Cult of Kek.
From what I am presented I think it's probably true that you are a small, green, chain-smoking amphibian that can type. That may change as I am presented with more facts.
I do not see how any accumulated amount of facts be it in the hundreds or millions could stand to test the absolute truth respectively.
One may then ask. "But how do I see the absolute truth?" Well my friend you are a walking universe. The laws exist within you and out.

sealchan

Right now, I want you to breakdown step-by-step, or crunched down to your best, the very best possible explanation you have at this moment, of the secrets of life and the universe, and what they resonate to you.

If everything is relative and sits under the lamp of truth, which is absolute, you should have no problem freely expressing your ultimate picture of the universe unscrutinized and unscrupulous. Knowing full well that everything that cometh from the human mouth is filtered and a lie.
That which is perceiveth and thrown into words and uttered is filtered by that very organ to which Jesus fought with and is hereby proclaim Satan or the Human Mind.

But he turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.”

There are four cognitive systems developed through evolutionary pressures and optimized by cultural development which form natural systems for knowing truth. Individuals develop an unconscious preference for how they use these cognitive functions for understanding their world. This plus the diversity of human cultural experience gives rise to the various philosophies and belief systems we know of. Furthermore the advance from oral to literate to digital culture transforms the access to truth by increasing its availability.

Truth is embedded in multiple layers of ways of knowing such that the subjective finds its ground in diverse homes while the objective evolves, arises and persists in the most dominant homes within this overall environment in which truths and potential truths exist.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
What if the spirit never existed? The spirit is immaterial and cannot die, it exists therefore forever into infinity and beyond.

I don't think that is a truth. In fact, I think the truth is that there is no such thing as spirit. Everything is ultimately material (physical).