• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girl talk

A

angellous_evangellous

Phil Osophy said:
I thought the RF ladies might be interested in this news item:

http://www.itv.com/news/britain_86c1b8e137f64f194745c25535142ce8.html

Next time you're here just send flowers.
bouquet-whiteRF.jpg

Sheesh.

CDRaider

Yeah so I want to jump in, i can't possibly read through all those posts though!!!

I saw someone mention hot chocolate. Man I want some. I am at work right now and usually I stock some and now I'm out.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Women are grumpier than men in the morning and also stay grumpy for a longer period of time than men................

I can point out other things, too, to make the genders more polarized:

Men keep the lid up far more often than women, they fart and belch at a much higher rate than their female counterparts, and they also suffer from what Erma Bombeck called "Frozen Arm Syndrome" (FAS) - if I remember correctly. FAS is a serious disorder that occurs when a woman asks her husband to go look for something in another room, the man walks to the room, stands in the center of the room (or at the doorway), and looks for said item only by using his eyes. His arms are sadly and unexpectedly frozen in these instances. The AMA is still conducting clinical trials to study this bizarre disorder that not only occurs in adult married men, but in elementary-aged children.

Adolescent children suffer from a more serious disorder that is closely related to FAS called "Frozen Limb Syndrome" when asked by mother to go get an item. Not only do their arms find themselves frozen to their torsos, it seems that their legs cease to function, too, and they remain in a frozen state on the couch or at a computer desk.

:monkey:

Thanks for the flowers, Nathan. Such a gentleman. *swoons*

Peace,
Mystic

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
*pours some hot chocolate for CDRaider*

No one should be without it!

I feel a bit mercenary at the moment. :( The barn cat of the farmer that my mom and I rent from seems to have a batch of kittens at least yearly. The farmer adores this cat (she's quite tame for a barn cat), but he either doesn't want to pay for or to take the time out to bring her to a vet and get her neutered. (Not sure which of the two it is.) So, for the second year in a row, I've worked to tame the kittens in order to make them more adoptable and then bring them in to the city animal shelter. (It's a lovely one, thankfully.) I feel kinda bad, though, since they probably won't be together.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
Hello ladies. I never saw this thread before, but I too wish there was a girls-only forum... this is close enough though.

I only read the first and last pages, but thought I'd respond to you evearael, with some grandmotherly insights...

When my two girls (22 months apart) were growing up, I went through what you describe with growing intensity year by year, sort of missing the times when they were little, while embracing who they were becoming...

One night I had a perfect dream, it was an October afternoon with the two of them in the park, pushing them on the swings. Amy was four and Sarah was two. It was an ordinary day, but my memory had saved it intact -- the chill in the air, their sweet tiny voices, their little hands in mine. I scooped them up in my arms and buried my face in their golden hair. When I awoke my face was wet with tears and I was sobbing. I missed my babies with an ache so deep and so wide I can never describe it. How can you mourn your living children? No one but a mother can understand...they are there, but they are gone.

Then the most wonderful thing happened when my granddaughter was born. It was like having my babies all over again. It was as if that mourning had a reason and a purpose I never suspected... it gave birth to the strange and indescribable joy of seeing your daughter becoming a mother. Can you imagine as you look at your tiny daughter? Awesome.

And ahh, that beautiful child. Joy on top of joy. I love her so much! She even looks like my daughter, from the dark curly hair at birth to the huge blue eyes and flowing golden hair now that she is three. All the cuddly sweetness of her mother is there, too. She has taken away that old gnawing ache to hold a baby again, and I have this feeling of old chapters ending, new ones beginning, and there's a feeling of -- I can't describe it except to say there is a fulfillment or completion I never knew existed. And my mother passed away shortly after I brought her great grandbaby to meet her. There is a picture I cherish with the four generations of us snuggling on her big old king sized bed. She was so happy. We were all so close. Everything has come full circle. The bitter-sweet 'mourning' is over, and won't come again even if as I suspect, there are no more babies to come. The fulness and ripeness of life as a woman is what I'm talking about I guess. I'm rambling I know but trust me. Being a mom is exhausting and takes every ounce of love and energy you have at times. It's all worth it, every minute.

Just... take lots of videos, and keep your camera handy through it all. And I wish I had kept a journal when they were little, not much time to do it when you have babies and toddlers I know, but just a line or two a week would have been nice to pass on.

*sigh*

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
FeathersinHair said:
*pours some hot chocolate for CDRaider*

No one should be without it!

I feel a bit mercenary at the moment. :( The barn cat of the farmer that my mom and I rent from seems to have a batch of kittens at least yearly. The farmer adores this cat (she's quite tame for a barn cat), but he either doesn't want to pay for or to take the time out to bring her to a vet and get her neutered. (Not sure which of the two it is.) So, for the second year in a row, I've worked to tame the kittens in order to make them more adoptable and then bring them in to the city animal shelter. (It's a lovely one, thankfully.) I feel kinda bad, though, since they probably won't be together.

Ooh i get so mad that people do this. We live out in the country and nobody seems to spay their cats, they would rather have the kittens that survive run off in the woods and use them for target practice later i guess. What the hell is wrong with people. I can't think of a more heartbreaking existence than that of an unspayed female cat and her kittens.

Did you know if there are competing toms in the area, they will murder the babies. I just hate it.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Oh, geez Moon Woman.............your post on becoming a grandmother brought some massive tears to my eyes. That had to be one of the most beautiful sentiments I've read here so far on RF.

Our kids aren't nearly that old. The youngest is 8, but it seems as if those formative years of sleepless nights, diapers, chasing toddlers, and *sigh* those adorable "coo" sounds from toothless smiles............it just seemed like it all happened yesterday. Now, with two of our children beginning their hormonal adolescence, while seeking to plant their own two feet into the ground, watching kids grow up happen so quickly.

My mother can relate to everything you'd said. She said that the first time around holding a baby is filled with uncertainty despite all the blissful love she felt for us. Becoming a grandmother, in her words, is much more cool. LOL And it has little to do with spoiling the kids rotten and then handing the babies back to us so she has free time (although her free time is something she really appreciates now). But her sentiment is that any and all anxieties concerning babies and children are completely gone, and she is left to simply enjoy them and the pure love that they exude. I don't know if I've paraphrased her well enough, but I find myself really enjoying listening to her wisdom in these moments.

And my own grandmother is my inspiration. My relationship with her is so different than my relationship with my mother - they're both so special and I wouldn't trade either for the world. My grandma is 87 years old, and yet is still so healthy (her doctor is amazed that she still has the blood pressure of a 25 year old), and she does nothing but ooze love and affection from her. She lives independently, and I make weekly trips out to visit her so we can sit at her kitchen table and talk, laugh, and let her reminisce about her youth. I also still get more than a fair share of hugs and kisses from her with a vivacious smile on her face.

I guess that my relationship with my grandmother is much more fun and nostalgic. My mother and I have a much more psychic relationship, and I always call her on the phone if I need some type of immediate help or a shoulder to cry on. Knowing my grandmother's story of her "school-of-hard-knocks" life and how she has turned out as such an amazing woman always leaves me so thankful that I know her and that she loves me without bounds.

She thinks I'm absolutely nuts with my Buddhist practices, but our religious differences means nothing when it comes to how much I adore her and how fiercely she loves me and my kids. I'm one lucky woman.

Peace,
Mystic

tcprowling

I don't have anything to say But since there's coffee on Offer I have mine White with 2, 5 minutes stirring, 3 minutes to the right and 2 minutes to the left please:kat:

Moni_Gail

ELIGE MAGISTRUM
I'm definitely late in joining. But hi everyone.

At this point I would enjoy the Mad Hatter's tea party. *sigh It's been a long day with my fussy 6 month old. I think I'm going to go into hiding.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
MysticSang'ha said:
Oh, geez Moon Woman.............your post on becoming a grandmother brought some massive tears to my eyes. That had to be one of the most beautiful sentiments I've read here so far on RF.
Thanks hon.

Our kids aren't nearly that old. The youngest is 8, but it seems as if those formative years of sleepless nights, diapers, chasing toddlers, and *sigh* those adorable "coo" sounds from toothless smiles............it just seemed like it all happened yesterday. Now, with two of our children beginning their hormonal adolescence, while seeking to plant their own two feet into the ground, watching kids grow up happen so quickly.
Yes, too fast for me. But it is better now as grandma, not quite as "fast-forward" as when you are a mom. Knowing what will come next and having more perspective somehow makes it more enjoyable and relaxing.

My mother can relate to everything you'd said. She said that the first time around holding a baby is filled with uncertainty despite all the blissful love she felt for us. Becoming a grandmother, in her words, is much more cool. LOL And it has little to do with spoiling the kids rotten and then handing the babies back to us so she has free time (although her free time is something she really appreciates now). But her sentiment is that any and all anxieties concerning babies and children are completely gone, and she is left to simply enjoy them and the pure love that they exude. I don't know if I've paraphrased her well enough, but I find myself really enjoying listening to her wisdom in these moments.
BINGO. Yes that is exactly right, it's way cooler, so much fun. And if she's like me, we wish we could yank that grandma-ness out of our psyches, put it in a box and give it to you.

I went over to help for a few days after the birth and .. this is the hilarious truth.. my son in law followed me out to the car as I was preparing to go home. They wanted to HIRE me full time to quit my job and live there for six months. I just hugged him close and cried, and told him how much he had honored me. I hadn't realized until that moment, they were actually afraid to be alone with the baby - and the memory of all those newborn anxieties rushed back in all their intensity. So I went back in and gave them a little pep talk, and let them know how capable and responsible they really were. How the idea that there is this little helpless creature, completely dependent upon you 24/7 is something no one can imagine until it happens to them - but they already had everything they needed to be the great parents they wanted to be. And I would be there in a heartbeat whenever they wanted me.

I'm so proud of them both. They are doing a wonderful job, and they were so scared at first! LOL.

If I were to write a book on child care, it would only be one word long in huge black typeface: RELAX.

My mother and I have a much more psychic relationship, and I always call her on the phone if I need some type of immediate help or a shoulder to cry on.
(sniff) it was a year before I stopped automatically picking up the phone to call my mom only to be hit again with the reality of her being gone forever (sniff). And really it doesn't get better with time, it just gets different.

She thinks I'm absolutely nuts with my Buddhist practices, but our religious differences means nothing when it comes to how much I adore her and how fiercely she loves me and my kids. I'm one lucky woman.
Awesome. Me too. Sounds like you have a beautiful batch of women in your life.

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
Ooh, I see this thread has recieved some attention while I've been busy with school. I also see a couple of new faces...er...avatars in this thread.

So, I think this is a good time and place for me to speak on how I've been doing as of late. I'm the happiest I've been in years. Makeup school is wonderful and very humbling. I get to work with such great people. I've officially discovered and announced my asexuality (in regards to sexual orientation). I am now an official pescetarian. And I've found a new reason to live, which helps to stave off the recurring suicidal thoughts that I've had for the past four or five years; there are people in the world who have the highest will to live even when they are worse off than I am. Thus, I am dedicating part of my life to those in need. So, right now I have to help myself so I am better able to help others later in life. And doing what little I can do at this point does help to make me feel good. For instance, while I was in Vons earlier today buying some deodorant, they had "SURVIVOR" bracelets for sale at the register. Paying a couple of dollars for a crappy string of pink rubber made me feel really good knowing that the money went to breast cancer research. Little things like that seem to make all of the difference.

So, I guess you can say I've been doing pretty well. Esteem issues at school have been very apparent to the others, but they have all been very encouraging. Aside from that, I've been wonderful. I can't believe I'm already finished with the first half of school. I don't want it to ever end.:(

lizskid

BANNED
Zombie, I'm glad school is going well, and, most of all, you are feeling better about yourself and your asexuality.

I have a great recipe for hot chocolate if anyone wants it...can't find it right now, but will pretty soon!

C1, what happened with the periods? You should check it out, could be just self adjustment, endometriosis, or something more serious. Please, take care.

I love hearing (reading) you guys talk about parenthood, as I have an adopted child not natural. He did not come into my life until he was older. I do, however, have the cutest 5 great nephew and nieces....they are the best and too funny. All very different. I feel like a grandparent to them, as I sort of helped with their parents when they were kids.

Neat Thread!

evearael

I love my daughter! She is such a sweetie. :) Her new favorite word is grasshopper. I've learned to pay attention whenever she says is it, because that's what she calls crickets when she finds them hopping around the house. I've taught her to say 'go free!' when I toss them back outside.

CDRaider

zombieharlot said:
For instance, while I was in Vons earlier today buying some deodorant, they had "SURVIVOR" bracelets for sale at the register. Paying a couple of dollars for a crappy string of pink rubber made me feel really good knowing that the money went to breast cancer research. Little things like that seem to make all of the difference.

Yeah, tic tacs now have breast cancer supported tic tacs. they are just the white ones in a pink case but i decided to buy that instead of gum just because. :p

And HI! I dont' think I've talked to you before! I'm Christina

Moni_Gail

ELIGE MAGISTRUM
evearael said:
I love my daughter! She is such a sweetie. :) Her new favorite word is grasshopper. I've learned to pay attention whenever she says is it, because that's what she calls crickets when she finds them hopping around the house. I've taught her to say 'go free!' when I toss them back outside.

She sounds adorable! Is she still enjoying her own 'pregnancy'? You need to get pictures/video of that for when she's older. :biglaugh:

evearael

Well my daughter has finally figured out that she's not pregnant and that I am. Now she pats her tummy and says, "No baby." She comes up with the most amazing sentences like, "It's a rectangle with cheese on it!" I love my crazy little toddler.

I love her even when she decides to go ballistic for an hour at Costco when I'm trying to visit the optometrist. *Sigh* I somehow managed to remain calm for the duration of the trip, regardless of how crazy she was. She was sleepy and getting a pair of molars in so I certainly understand her displeasure, but I ran through every trick I could think of to calm her down with little success. I talked to her, I put her stroller seat back so she could sleep, I read Where the Wild Things Are, I rocked her in my arms and cuddled her, I sang Hot Crossed Buns... I put her in time out when she was going too crazy... which consisted of facing her stroller towards a corner... which was soon reversed by a well-meaning lady who didn't realize it was her time out. Thank goodness the doctor had kids and wasn't bothered by her screaming for the entire exam.

CDRaider

evearael said:
Well my daughter has finally figured out that she's not pregnant and that I am. Now she pats her tummy and says, "No baby." She comes up with the most amazing sentences like, "It's a rectangle with cheese on it!" I love my crazy little toddler.

I love her even when she decides to go ballistic for an hour at Costco when I'm trying to visit the optometrist. *Sigh* I somehow managed to remain calm for the duration of the trip, regardless of how crazy she was. She was sleepy and getting a pair of molars in so I certainly understand her displeasure, but I ran through every trick I could think of to calm her down with little success. I talked to her, I put her stroller seat back so she could sleep, I read Where the Wild Things Are, I rocked her in my arms and cuddled her, I sang Hot Crossed Buns... I put her in time out when she was going too crazy... which consisted of facing her stroller towards a corner... which was soon reversed by a well-meaning lady who didn't realize it was her time out. Thank goodness the doctor had kids and wasn't bothered by her screaming for the entire exam.

I don't know if this will work for your daughter but it works WONDERS for my sister even now and she's 9!

I'll hold her when she's screaming or crying and she'll be wiping her eyes like kids do and I'll be like "well go ahead and cry, just don't get me wet, I HATE being wet" and usually between sobs she'll wipe a tear or two on me and I'll jump back and go "EEEWWWWWWW now why'd you have to do that.... gross, I HATE being wet..... stooooop". Needless to say the two of us are laughing soon enough and then I can tell her what she wouldn't listen to while she was crying.

evearael

CDRaider said:
I'll hold her when she's screaming or crying and she'll be wiping her eyes like kids do and I'll be like "well go ahead and cry, just don't get me wet, I HATE being wet" and usually between sobs she'll wipe a tear or two on me and I'll jump back and go "EEEWWWWWWW now why'd you have to do that.... gross, I HATE being wet..... stooooop". Needless to say the two of us are laughing soon enough and then I can tell her what she wouldn't listen to while she was crying.
That's adorable! I may have to try that, but I've had limited success getting her to laugh once she's passed a certain point.