• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gay, wrong? why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stemann

Time Bandit
Mike182 said:
with all due respect to all the homosexual christians out there, i suspect that you (like me) would interprit sriptures according to your need, if your situation were different, i suspect you would have interprited scripture to be confirming of homosexuality

It's similar to the anthropic principle: one only thinks like one does because of one's genes and one's upbringing- that is one's definition!

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Mike182 said:
with all due respect to all the homosexual christians out there, i suspect that you (like me) would interprit sriptures according to your need, if your situation were different, i suspect you would have interprited scripture to be confirming of homosexuality

To be honest, Mike, this is what I'm not sure of. And it's hard to give an honest answer when I'm not in that position. In many ways, I think things have been easy because I married a man and THEN became a Christian.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Phillip said:
...Since homosexuality is a decision...
Sorry, but I think this statement is incorrect. People don't choose to be attracted to the same sex or the opposite sex, so homosexuality is not a decision. People do make a conscious decision with whom to have a relationship, and that may or may not align with their orientation.

I think Halcyon's post and the letter to Dr Laura stemann posted spell it out very well. :)

Mike182

Flaming Queer
dawny0826 said:
To be honest, Mike, this is what I'm not sure of. And it's hard to give an honest answer when I'm not in that position. In many ways, I think things have been easy because I married a man and THEN became a Christian.

sorry, i hope we weren't pressuring you :hug: i know it's a tricky subject :(

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Mike182 said:
sorry, i hope we weren't pressuring you :hug: i know it's a tricky subject :(

Thanks, Mike. I don't feel pressured at all. I think it's important to be able to talk about it. (((HUGS)))

Jerrell

I've had the Experince of seeing Preachers who used to be gay turn straight, I've also had the previledge of seeing a confused colledge student turning right, but i've also had the experince of meeting those who simply refuse to change. Homosexuality is not just a problem in Christianity, but in Society. If you accept it, why change? If others don't accept it, why don't they? If you are not Christian, what does it matter to you that Homosexuality is wrong with God?

For many it is a way of life, they were born into it, just as many poeple were born with the tendency to be angry, to go crazy, to murder, to steal, to aggrivate (incredibly). Homosexuality initially may not be a choice, but it IS a choice as to whether one lives that way, one doesn't have to be homosexual, if you beleive in GOd he can bring you through.

1) "If a man lies with a man as he does with a woman both of them have commited an abomination...' Leveticus 28:13

2)
Romans 1:
24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28 And even as they did not like to retain F8 God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

The Creature- Means that Which God created

Initially poeple are gay because they reject the will of God for them to live another way.

Faint

Jerrell said:
Homosexuality is not just a problem in Christianity, but in Society.
Why? Is the only reason you think that homosexuality is wrong because of what is written in the Bible, or do you have other reasons? If the latter, please explain.:rainbow1:

Pah

Uber all member
Anade said:
Because God planned for a man and a woman to be together, not a man and a man or a woman and a woman.
Prove that it was meant to be exclusive

Pah

Uber all member
Jerrell said:
I've had the Experince of seeing Preachers who used to be gay turn straight, I've also had the previledge of seeing a confused colledge student turning right, but i've also had the experince of meeting those who simply refuse to change.
When did you choose to be straight? Could you choose to lust after another man, assuming you are male?
Homosexuality is not just a problem in Christianity, but in Society. If you accept it, why change? If others don't accept it, why don't they? If you are not Christian, what does it matter to you that Homosexuality is wrong with God?
If you are Christian and have been accepted by the Holy Spirirt, it certianly doesn't matter spiritually that you have a same0sex orientation. It only matters when some Christians try to force their idoltarous biblical law on society.

For many it is a way of life, they were born into it, just as many poeple were born with the tendency to be angry, to go crazy, to murder, to steal, to aggrivate (incredibly). Homosexuality initially may not be a choice, but it IS a choice as to whether one lives that way, one doesn't have to be homosexual, if you beleive in GOd he can bring you through.
There is biblical verse to remain a eunich for Christ both from Paul and from Christ. Are you doing that?

1) "If a man lies with a man as he does with a woman both of them have commited an abomination...' Leveticus 28:13
Prove that what is spoken of here is the same-sex activity of today.

2)
Romans 1:
24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28 And even as they did not like to retain F8 God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

The Creature- Means that Which God created

Initially poeple are gay because they reject the will of God for them to live another way.
Intitially, in the position of the Early Church, people were perverse because of what they ate

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Jerrell said:
Homosexuality is not just a problem in Christianity, but in Society.
Pray tell, what problem am I causing in society? I volunteer, I help out when I can... what problem is my love for a woman inflicting on society?
If you are not Christian, what does it matter to you that Homosexuality is wrong with God?
Christianity is not the only religion with God. Many people who believe in God but aren't Christian take issue with people insisting God has a problem with homosexuality.

Personally I don't give a damn if God has a problem with homosexuality. However, I do have a problem when people use "God's" ideas and feelings as a reason to take away my rights or hurt me.
For many it is a way of life, they were born into it, just as many poeple were born with the tendency to be angry, to go crazy, to murder, to steal, to aggrivate (incredibly).
Hey, you forgot paedophilia. :rolleyes: After all, being gay is just like hurting and killing and raping others!
Homosexuality initially may not be a choice, but it IS a choice as to whether one lives that way, one doesn't have to be homosexual, if you beleive in GOd he can bring you through.
Through what? I'm not suffering.
I sure hope you haven't been eating shrimp or wearing clothes of mixed materials if you're quoting that at us.
I didn't reject anything but the idea that I have to be with a man to be happy.

By the way: Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. -- 1 John 2:9

Faint

Pah said:
There is biblical verse to remain a eunich for Christ both from Paul and from Christ. Are you doing that?
This is amusing...would you please cite this passage Pah?

stemann

Time Bandit
Jerrell said:

Initially people wear clothes with two threads and "forget" to sell their daughter into slavery because they reject the will of God for them to live another way.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
stemann said:
Initially people wear clothes with two threads and "forget" to sell their daughter into slavery because they reject the will of God for them to live another way.

Initially people eat shellfish and don't stone youths to death for disrespecting their parents because they reject the will of God for them to live another way.

Simon Gnosis

Anade said:
Then we wouldn't have free will.

You seem to be insinuating that God intended for us to be gay...? That's weird, because in my Bible, it says something to the effect of homosexuals will not enter the kingdom.

Thats right in your Bible..
Homosexuality occurs in nature therfore it is natural.
Gender is not black and white, there are shades of grey, sooner you people realise this simple fact the better.
I can't stand christians who bleat on about how wrong gayness is, why would anyone who was not attracted to members of their own gender engage in sex with them?
Gay people are gay because they are..its hardly a lifestyle choice...even if it was it is still hardly evil, what is so evil about it?
So what if some men want men or women want women..allow it..let it be..God certainly doesnt mind..I think He would rather you concerned yourself with your own problems and sins.
I usually suspect anyone who condems homosexuality of being a closet homosexual, maybe all you need Anade is some female attention...huh? :D Just kidding...

Cmon dont use God as your excuse...He really doesnt care...He told me.

He said (in a dream) "Simon I dont give a monkeys about people being Gay in fact I deliberately allow it in primates for example; to help reduce sexual pressures on the girls if too many males are present, also to facilitate social bonding and establishing hierachies..humans are not exempt"

Toblerone2

Simon Gnosis said:
Cmon dont use God as your excuse...He really doesnt care...He told me.

He said (in a dream) "Simon I dont give a monkeys about people being Gay in fact I deliberately allow it in primates for example; to help reduce sexual pressures on the girls if too many males are present, also to facilitate social bonding and establishing hierachies..humans are not exempt"

Finally, we have the word of God as told to someone who's alive today !!!!
Woohoo! (Can I have whatever HE's having???)

SeriousIy, though, I would like to hear more about this "new" Gnosticism, as I thought it had all been wiped out long ago, save for the fragments from Nag Hammadi. Hopefully that is not the case.

I think God is genderless, and allows that we can love whatever we love.
But fundy christians seem to have a problem with that.

:monkey:

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
athanasius said:
Hmmm I gues the real question would be, why wouldn't it be wrong?
Not really. I can't think of a reason why something going on between two consenting adults is wrong, nor how it is anyone else's business.

If you can think up some reasons why it's wrong, let's hear it. But please contribute something more to this thread than "well why wouldn't it be?"

stemann

Time Bandit
athanasius said:
Hmmm I gues the real question would be, why wouldn't it be wrong?

Something is neither right nor wrong until people start proclaiming things about it. Since a lot of people don't believe it to be wrong, they don't have a problem with it being practised, and so don't make proclamations about it- therefore they don't have to justify themselves. If someone makes the statement that it is wrong, the onus is on them to justify themselves.

Alternatively, if you take the stance that God prohibits everything that He doesn't state categorically is good, then every act that anybody does that is not on the list of things God likes must be justified, which is basically everything done newly in the past 2000 years [in the case of Christianity, that is].

Status
Not open for further replies.