• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gay, wrong? why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoke

Done here.
Anade said:
No one HAS to be gay, you're not born gay or straight. I believe it's a choice.
When did you choose to be straight? What factors went into your decision?

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
That's a pretty good point made there, i don't believe its down to personal choice or upbringing! I think its definitly something thats determined before you are born! And if I were to believe in a god i'd find it really unfair to be descriminated againts because of a sexual orientation that isn't really my fault!

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
Thinking about it gods word really isn't that infallible really given the loopholes he leaves open. Good job really that he's not in charge of making laws lol!

Circle_One

Anade said:
Then they are ignoring the words of the Bible.

Or rather, they choose to interpret (or follow a version of the bible that interprets) it differently and in a less one-sided way than you and those who believe like you, do.

And another thing. I've just got to ask about the whole "One is not born gay" thing:

Why is it then, that people are born straight?

How is it possible for someone to be born one way, but not the other?

It's like saying everyone in this world is going to be born with brown hair and there is absolutely NO possibility to be born with blonde. If someone is blonde, then it's from a bottle because there's no way anyone could be born blonde. We're all brunettes and that's the only way it is. It's their choice to be blonde.

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
If the Judeo-Christian god hates gays so much, why did he allow David to have the relationship that he did with Jonathan? Now before all the anti-gay Christians start screaming, yes, I'm well aware that the bible doesn't just come out and say it and several english verisions try to cover it up by "interpting" it during translation. But it's all rather clear ( to me someone with an un-biased view) if you take such things as Jonathans status and still presented himself naked to David.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
darkpenguin said:
i didn't say anybody HAS to be gay and yes it is free will but if the gods of the religions that think it is wrong made people with free will then it is wrong for those gods of those faiths to frown upon such behaviour. 'gods' gave us freedom for a reason, to use it!

Hi.

I'm a Christian and I happen to be a bisexual woman.

My God, for the record, is the God of Abraham, Jesus Christ.

These are my thoughts...

God didn't intend for us to have the freedoms of the flesh that we have today. You have to understand this. Man was placed on earth to serve and worship God...not vice versa. And we were initially made perfect.

Adam and Eve had a choice to make, in Eden. They had the choice to either obey or disobey. They disobeyed and THEY BROUGHT sin upon the world by their actions. And thus, the battle of the flesh began.

We very much have the freedom to live our lives as we want to. But that doesn't mean, from a biblical standpoint that our decisions align with what God would have for our lives. We can make justifications for our actions but in the end there is only right or wrong. There is no inbetween.

From personal experience...I was very much born with an attraction to women and that's been a part of me foras long as I can remember. For many years, I struggled with that. For many years, my internal conflict was a factor that fueled my REBELLION against God and the church.

I met my husband during a time in my life where I was totally open to meeting SOMEONE to spend the rest of my life with...gender not important. But it was my husband that won me over and I took our vows seriously before I became a Christian.

I'm still attracted to woman. I'm wired that way. That's not going to change.

BUT...I've made a choice based upon my personal religious convictions and beliefs to not act again upon certain desires. Are the desires there? Of course. I'm human.

God didn't bestow upon us sinful notions. Man brought that upon themselves. God has given us a way to be redeemed from our blemishes but blemishes exist because of the fall. We have choices to make. We're born into this world with "prewired" behaviours and traits that we didn't necessarily choose for ourselves but we are still held accountable for the choices that we make throughout our lives.

And God isn't forcing anyone to follow Him and follow His laws.

I believe that God did give us freedom to exercise and His plan was for us to utlize that freedom to find our way back to Him. :)

We're also supposed to LOVE everyone...regardless of who they are and what they choose to do...when we LOVE we fulfill all God's laws...just thought I'd throw that in there. Whether homosexuality is an "abomination" or not...my children are being taught to LOVE everyone. :hug:

Bishka

Veteran Member
Jensa said:
Did you wake up one day after puberty and go "You know what? I think I'm going to be straight!"?

I support you Jensa - I believe in 99.9% of cases it's not a choice -- I've known one or two that have told me that they 'went gay or lesbian' to **** of their parents. Whild that is not the norm, I thought I'd just put that in there.

Bishka

Veteran Member
dawny0826 said:
Hi.

I'm a Christian and I happen to be a bisexual woman.

My God, for the record, is the God of Abraham, Jesus Christ.

These are my thoughts...

God didn't intend for us to have the freedoms of the flesh that we have today. You have to understand this. Man was placed on earth to serve and worship God...not vice versa. And we were initially made perfect.

Adam and Eve had a choice to make, in Eden. They had the choice to either obey or disobey. They disobeyed and THEY BROUGHT sin upon the world by their actions. And thus, the battle of the flesh began.

We very much have the freedom to live our lives as we want to. But that doesn't mean, from a biblical standpoint that our decisions align with what God would have for our lives. We can make justifications for our actions but in the end there is only right or wrong. There is no inbetween.

From personal experience...I was very much born with an attraction to women and that's been a part of me foras long as I can remember. For many years, I struggled with that. For many years, my internal conflict was a factor that fueled my REBELLION against God and the church.

I met my husband during a time in my life where I was totally open to meeting SOMEONE to spend the rest of my life with...gender not important. But it was my husband that won me over and I took our vows seriously before I became a Christian.

I'm still attracted to woman. I'm wired that way. That's not going to change.

BUT...I've made a choice based upon my personal religious convictions and beliefs to not act again upon certain desires. Are the desires there? Of course. I'm human.

God didn't bestow upon us sinful notions. Man brought that upon themselves. God has given us a way to be redeemed from our blemishes but blemishes exist because of the fall. We have choices to make. We're born into this world with "prewired" behaviours and traits that we didn't necessarily choose for ourselves but we are still held accountable for the choices that we make throughout our lives.

And God isn't forcing anyone to follow Him and follow His laws.

I believe that God did give us freedom to exercise and His plan was for us to utlize that freedom to find our way back to Him. :)

We're also supposed to LOVE everyone...regardless of who they are and what they choose to do...when we LOVE we fulfill all God's laws...just thought I'd throw that in there. Whether homosexuality is an "abomination" or not...my children are being taught to LOVE everyone. :hug:

These are my thoughts exactly, but I'm not eloquent enough or awake enough to put them as beautifully as Dawn did.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Anade said:
Because God planned for a man and a woman to be together, not a man and a man or a woman and a woman.
Any reason a semi-naked man was with Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane? Mark 14:51-52.
The Secret Gospel of Mark tells us why.

Jesus taught love above all other things, would he have condemned same-sex loving relationships? I don't think so, because then he would be condemning love itself.

People are born gay, thus (if you believe it) God made them gay. For God to then turn around and condemn his creation for being the way he created it only points to insanity on his behalf.

Tiberius

Anade said:
Then we wouldn't have free will.

You seem to be insinuating that God intended for us to be gay...? That's weird, because in my Bible, it says something to the effect of homosexuals will not enter the kingdom.

But God, being God, could surely make us incapable of being attracted to the same sex WITHOUT violating our free will.

Yes, I know that's logically impossible, but you're not going to confine God to the logically possible, are you?

Remember, God can do ANYTHING, and if he wants to make us incapable of being attracted to the same sex in a manner that does not violate our free will, then he can do it, by golly!

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Why are people so preoccupied with who's sleeping with whom? A person's sexual identity is their business, and no amount of "Christian concern for the spiritual well-being of others" can mitigate either the privacy of the bedroom, or the sanctity of one's identity. To think otherwise is to disrespect those in whom we should be seeking and serving Christ.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
sojourner said:
Why are people so preoccupied with who's sleeping with whom? A person's sexual identity is their business, and no amount of "Christian concern for the spiritual well-being of others" can mitigate either the privacy of the bedroom, or the sanctity of one's identity. To think otherwise is to disrespect those in whom we should be seeking and serving Christ.
My thougts exactly. All of the money, time and energy that is spent trying to control people's behaviors can be used for more practical things....such as helping out the poor and starving.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Mister_T said:
My thougts exactly. All of the money, time and energy that is spent trying to control people's behaviors can be used for more practical things....such as helping out the poor and starving.

Bravo! :clap

BTW, I do not see homosexuality as being wrong in any way, shape, or form.

Peace,
Mystic

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Anade said:
Then they are ignoring the words of the Bible.

how are they?

my appologies, but i thought Jesus was a man of unconditional love, compassion for all etc, not a man of prejudice and bigoted arrogance - but hey, i guess my oppinion doesn't count, because after all, i'm just some gay pagan :shrug:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Real Sorceror said:
Not to be rude, but too bad.

Some will never admit it, but we all tend to ignore scripture that doesn't fit with our sensibilities. Some of the people who insist that homosexuality is an abomination "because the Bible says so" are the same people who insist upon wearing 50/50 cotton/poly shirts, even though the Bible says that wearing clothing of mixed cloth is an abomination.

Jesus addresses just this point, when he exposes the folly of attempting to take a speck out of our neighbor's eye, when we haven't addressed the log lodged in our own eye.

Again, the Bible presents a much clearer case for unconditional love than it does for the evil nature of homosexuality. Jesus was so horrified by homosexuality that he mentions it not one time.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Why are people so preoccupied with who's sleeping with whom? A person's sexual identity is their business, and no amount of "Christian concern for the spiritual well-being of others" can mitigate either the privacy of the bedroom, or the sanctity of one's identity.
:clap

Radar

It is not really free will when damnation is attached to one. It's like eat apple (A) and everything thing is yours or eat apple (B) and burn for eternity. Now what kind of choice do you really have? If you don't choose what I want you to choose then you go to hell. Please explain how that is really free will.

Status
Not open for further replies.