• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gay, wrong? why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Gnosis

Maize said:

That discussion would be of topic in this thread. But like I said before, I'd be happy to discuss this with you further in another thread.

I bet hehe

Well to be honest I don't know much about UU I just read a few lines regarding the base theology, it said UU was rooted in christianity, maybe it isnt maybe it is.
Lillithu said she was not a christian, to me this appeared to be a contradiction, if UU is not a christian religion then fair enough...if it is the Lillithu is self contradictory.

I don't actually know, and I certainly not in any position to argue that it is or isnt as I have only spent 2 mins reading about it out of my entire lifetime.
Hardly enough to build my case on hehe

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Simon Gnosis said:
I bet hehe

Well to be honest I don't know much about UU I just read a few lines regarding the base theology, it said UU was rooted in christianity, maybe it isnt maybe it is.
Lillithu said she was not a christian, to me this appeared to be a contradiction, if UU is not a christian religion then fair enough...if it is the Lillithu is self contradictory.

Lilithu was not contradicting herself. UU's history is rooted in Christianity, however today our theology is far from Christian.

Simon Gnosis

Maize said:

Lilithu was not contradicting herself. UU's history is rooted in Christianity, however today our theology is far from Christian.

Il take your word for it.

UU is not a christian religion.

Fair enough.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
darkpenguin said:
why is it wrong in gods eyes?
Well, it isn't wrong in the eyes of my god. I think that most, if not all, people mold God to fit their personal quirks, and so on.--Gods' personality, at least in certain detail, is merely a reflection of ourselves, and our own perceptions.

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
Tigress said:
Well, it isn't wrong in the eyes of my god. I think that most, if not all, people mold God to fit their personal quirks, and so on.--Gods' personality, at least in certain detail, is merely a reflection of ourselves, and our own perceptions.

wouldn't that make religions obsolite though as each person has their own religion, i like that idea!:pen:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Tigress said:
There's a great quote, I forget who said it: "I know that I have made God in my own image when my God hates all the same people that I hate."

My God is a God of love. And that may be a reflection of my own perceptions but that seems to be giving me too much credit. There are times when I really don't like someone, where it's hard for me to see any redeeming qualities about them. Sometimes it may even seem that a whole group of people are wrong, bad. In those times it would be easy for me to rationalize a justification for why I dislike the person or peoples. But I have never been able to say "These people are bad because my God says so." My God calls me to look beyond my own biases, even when I don't feel like it. Pushes me to expand the circles in which I call others my spiritual family.

My whole (nuclear) family is homophobic. The Lutheran school that they sent me to told me that homosexuality is a sin. Where did I get ideas otherwise? From that small still voice inside my heart that said, "You know this is wrong." I heard that voice even when I didn't want to hear it, even when it would have been much easier to go on thinking that those strange people were somehow bad. I don't see God as just a reflection of me. I hope to be a good reflection of God.

Simon Gnosis

lilithu said:
There's a great quote, I forget who said it: "I know that I have made God in my own image when my God hates all the same people that I hate."

My God is a God of love. And that may be a reflection of my own perceptions but that seems to be giving me too much credit. There are times when I really don't like someone, where it's hard for me to see any redeeming qualities about them. Sometimes it may even seem that a whole group of people are wrong, bad. In those times it would be easy for me to rationalize a justification for why I dislike the person or peoples. But I have never been able to say "These people are bad because my God says so." My God calls me to look beyond my own biases, even when I don't feel like it. Pushes me to expand the circles in which I call others my family.

My whole family is homophobic. The Lutheran school that they sent me to told me that homosexuality is a sin. Where did I get ideas otherwise? From that small still voice inside my heart that said, "You know this is wrong." I heard that voice even when I didn't want to hear it, even when it would have been much easier to go on thinking that those strange people were somehow bad. I don't see God as just a reflection of me. I hope to be a good reflection of God.

My God is not a God of love.

My God represents truth, ultimate empirical truth...

Love is abstract, love is ultimately entirely subjective, we all love different things for different reasons.
My God is not a complete reflection of me nor I him, I am merely one aspect of God's divine will.
But it is my goal to be more Godlike...so I search within to find the source, free from the prejudices and ignorance of my mind.
I listen to my soul, or God.

My soul tells me homosexuality that while wrong for me is not necessarily wrong for others.
I dont know all the answers, thats the whole point of my religion, no one can, we can only learn.

Simon Gnosis

Simon Gnosis said:

Love is abstract, love is ultimately entirely subjective, we all love different things for different reasons.
My God is not a complete reflection of me nor I him, I am merely one aspect of God's divine will.
But it is my goal to be more Godlike...so I search within to find the source, free from the prejudices and ignorance of my mind.
I listen to my soul, or God.

My soul tells me homosexuality that while wrong for me is not necessarily wrong for others.
I dont know all the answers, thats the whole point of my religion, no one can, we can only learn.

Because before I converted to Neo Gnosticsm I did think that homosexuality was wrong, but Neo Gnosticism opened my eyes...

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Simon Gnosis said:

I don't know about ultimate empirical truth - what it is.

For me, whether one pursues love or wisdom, they ultimately lead to the same point. But wisdom is not wisdom without compassion. And love is not love without insight.

Simon Gnosis

lilithu said:
I don't know about ultimate empirical truth - what it is.

For me, whether one pursues love or wisdom, they ultimately lead to the same point. But wisdom is not wisdom without compassion. And love is not love without insight.

Exactly....I am by nature a hostile and chaotic person, my religion has helped moderate this considerably.

Without understanding one cannot truly love...maybe God is love, maybe truth is love, thats what I am trying to discover.

Toblerone2

Simon, I'm beginning to think you know less about Gnosticism than I previously thought. You have at least read Elaine Pagel's introductory work, yes?

It paints a picture of a close, communal relationship with Jesus, not as Godhead, not as demigod, not as teacher even, but more as a guide to inner understanding. Knowing ones self is essential to reaching "inner truth".

Also, Gnosticism believes that Yahweh made a mistake in creating the world, that it is inherently flawed because of his mistake(s), and that there is a greater "Sophia" which rules over Yahweh and may even be his "mother" figure.

Anyway, I don't see much evidence of this sort of introspection in your posts. Certainly, far from attacking christianity, wouldn't you want to be explaining the differences between it, and the lack of centralized authority in Gnosticism?

I must go home now, I await your reply tomorrow....:pen:

Simon Gnosis

Toblerone2 said:
Simon, I'm beginning to think you know less about Gnosticism than I previously thought. You have at least read Elaine Pagel's introductory work, yes?

It paints a picture of a close, communal relationship with Jesus, not as Godhead, not as demigod, not as teacher even, but more as a guide to inner understanding. Knowing ones self is essential to reaching "inner truth".

Also, Gnosticism believes that Yahweh made a mistake in creating the world, that it is inherently flawed because of his mistake(s), and that there is a greater "Sophia" which rules over Yahweh and may even be his "mother" figure.

Anyway, I don't see much evidence of this sort of introspection in your posts. Certainly, far from attacking christianity, wouldn't you want to be explaining the differences between it, and the lack of centralized authority in Gnosticism?

I must go home now, I await your reply tomorrow....:pen:

I dont believe any of that.
Iam not a Gnostic....I am Neo Gnostic.
Hope that clarifies.

Neo Gnosticism is partly about learning from within and a rejection of centralised authority, but that's about all it has in common with Gnosticism (my version anyway).
This world is not flawed, it is perfect.
Jesus was but a man, he has no special significance for me other than the ideal of a man who has attained true communion with God.
There is no Yahweh there is no Sophia.
There is only the mind of God...manifest as the universe and all it encompasses ie me and you the planet we stand on etc....
The closest anyone gets to Neo Gnosticism is Jungian philosophy...that may help you understand my religion...

Its working progress...besides I never pretended to know much about Gnosticism I just liked the sound of the word and the idea that one can learn or know from the inner, from the sub concious, from dreams and intuiton....
But that is only half the story, one must learn from without as well, the concious and subconcious united.
The only religion I know anything about is Roman Catholism my birth religion, this is why I am on this site...to learn and to construct my new religion...o yes I am here to steal ideas lol I am here to learn..not preach.
Preaching will come later...

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
*****ADMIN POST******

Since this thread has seemed to stray woefully off topic, I'm closing it.

Don't worrry, another gay thread will pop up very soon, I'm sure. :rainbow1:

Status
Not open for further replies.