• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox News Tries to Bash Atheist and Agnostics

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The BBC is not commercial it is funded from a licence fee set by the government but paid buy all Tv owners.
it is a criminal not civil offence not to have a licence.

I've always thought that the U.K.'s "licence fee" for TV owners was rather goofy, as the networks get their profits from companies buying commercial slots for their adverts. T.V. here is free via antenna for the basic big networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, and FOX), but you have to pay cable or satellite providers if you want more than that.

Curious George

Veteran Member
“Can you point to one person who committed mass murder recently that had a religious background? You cannot.”
jimjonesbigRounded.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones

image503495x.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Yates
I was going to throw out Yates, but I seyou beat me to it.

We can probably make a list for Mr. O'Reilly

averageJOE

zombie
Whaddaya wanna bet that he'd dismiss'm all using the No True Scotsman technique?
Jim Jones is always the first religious mass murderer that comes to my mind.

But, your right. Bill automatically does it in the video with Jihadists. Saying something along the lines of they are extremests, therefore they don't count.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I've always thought that the U.K.'s "licence fee" for TV owners was rather goofy, as the networks get their profits from companies buying commercial slots for their adverts. T.V. here is free via antenna for the basic big networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, and FOX), but you have to pay cable or satellite providers if you want more than that.
The only ground tv transmitters are owned and operated by the Bbc. Who do charge stations for the service.
The bbc do not interrupt programs with any advertising.
Its revenue come from its fee and charges for using the transmitters.
not that I watch any advertising. As I record all commercial programmes and watch them anytime after 30 minutes of the start. That way I skip the lot.

Underhill

I expect that it's designed to appeal to people who agree with Bill, & love to see him browbeat those who disagree.

Fox has basically taken the Rush Limbaugh method and created several 'news' shows around it. The methodology has always appealed to the bottom 30 or 40% of the people. People who don't want to be bothered with actually educating themselves but enjoy the feeling of superiority...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Fox has basically taken the Rush Limbaugh method and created several 'news' shows around it. The methodology has always appealed to the bottom 30 or 40% of the people. People who don't want to be bothered with actually educating themselves but enjoy the feeling of superiority...
I don't see them as the "bottom".....more of a "segment".
(The term "bottom" implies that everyone else is superior.)
Left leaning news based talk/entertainment shows do the same thing with their audience.
There is no greater sanctimony than I've found with the NPR news junkie.

Tis best to avoid dwelling in a news opinion echo chamber of any particular persuasion.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Left leaning news based talk/entertainment shows do the same thing with their audience.
What I don't get is clearly the Colbert Report was satire, it wasn't meant to be taken seriously, but a bunch of conservatives thought he was for real.

Shadow Wolf

The left's Limabugh, eh?
No. Colbert was a satire show, his gimmick was based on O'Reilly, and Colbert is a comedian, his show was on Comedy Central, and he was really funny. And he used to mention a really weird news story at the beginning of his show, like this time in New York City when skyscrapers were reflecting sun rays, causing cars below to melt.
And, not like Limbaugh at all, because Colbert did have his book club that was a spin-off of Oprah's book club, and he encouraged his audience to read. He also had a bunch of scientists on his show, including Niel Degrasse Tyson and Michio Kaku; both were frequent guests of the show.
And, unlike the real TV news anchors who said they supported the troops and may, at most, have sent money to some pro-troop cause, Colbert had shows with all-military audience members, several shows in Iraq, and he had beer and hot dogs for one group of troops (which caused PETA to ***** saying he should have had vegan alternatives, which had Colbert taunting and mocking them over it), and the hot dogs were even served by Biden.
And the show was hilarious. During one February, after a story about KKK members being arrested for having someone (who was actually Jewish) build them a death ray, he had a short cartoon on his show that was about aliens invading Earth and Obama calling in a branch of the Klan to come in and save the day.
And, with that link, if you haven't watched the video yet you should. It's Obama (actually Obama) making fun of himself.

Underhill

I don't see them as the "bottom".....more of a "segment".
(The term "bottom" implies that everyone else is superior.)
There is no greater sanctimony than I've found with the NPR news junkie.

Tis best to avoid dwelling in a news opinion echo chamber of any particular persuasion.

I would agree, although I don't see NPR in anywhere near the same light. They at least make the attempt to be unbiased and research backs that up.

I see biased networks out there (MSNBC for example) but even then I don't see them employing the Rush method. Belittling opposition, arrogant name calling... most networks see that as a bridge too far.

As for bottom, I disagree. I know a lot of people who listen to Rush and while I wouldn't say they are all inferior intelligence, they do not approach news and/or politics in a reasonable or rational way. They use a brand of common sense with loose ties to reality. Their may be exceptions but I haven't seen them. I honestly don't know how a reasonable person could listen to that kind of garbage. Of course there are the same types of people on the left, but I would label them as the same bottom dwellers.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No. Colbert was a satire show, his gimmick was based on O'Reilly, and Colbert is a comedian, his show was on Comedy Central, and he was really funny. And he used to mention a really weird news story at the beginning of his show, like this time in New York City when skyscrapers were reflecting sun rays, causing cars below to melt.
And, not like Limbaugh at all, because Colbert did have his book club that was a spin-off of Oprah's book club, and he encouraged his audience to read. He also had a bunch of scientists on his show, including Niel Degrasse Tyson and Michio Kaku; both were frequent guests of the show.
And, unlike the real TV news anchors who said they supported the troops and may, at most, have sent money to some pro-troop cause, Colbert had shows with all-military audience members, several shows in Iraq, and he had beer and hot dogs for one group of troops (which caused PETA to ***** saying he should have had vegan alternatives, which had Colbert taunting and mocking them over it), and the hot dogs were even served by Biden.
And the show was hilarious. During one February, after a story about KKK members being arrested for having someone (who was actually Jewish) build them a death ray, he had a short cartoon on his show that was about aliens invading Earth and Obama calling in a branch of the Klan to come in and save the day.
And, with that link, if you haven't watched the video yet you should. It's Obama (actually Obama) making fun of himself.
Limbaugh's show is also filled with satire.
The problem is that people treat him & Colbert as their news source.

Underhill

Limbaugh's show is also filled with satire.
The problem is that people treat him & Colbert as their news source.

Yeah, not even close. Watch the two back to back and differences are clear.

Just one example, both Colbert and Stewart have said on and off their show that they are a comedy show and not news.

Limbaugh... not so much. He self promotes himself as THE truth. I could start posting quotes if you like.

Shadow Wolf

Nonetheless, they both cater to audiences who treat entertainment as news.
According to your link, only 10% got their news from the Colbert Report. His show was clearly entertainment. The man (gimmick) thought bears were a huge threat to American democracy, and on one episode he told liberals that they should endorse Al Qaeda because one of Bin Laden's last instructions to his followers was to plant trees because it's easier to hide from drones under trees. Because of the order to plant trees, Colbert went on a short tangent about liberals should appreciate Al Qaeda. Colbert's interviews with congressional members were often so leaded and baited that he didn't try to hide it, he'd ignore what they said and he'd go on about how they said what he believes they said, and sometimes they'd clown around.
And many on the right, such as John and Megan McCain, saw the Colbert Report as a way for the right to reach out to a younger and lefter audience.
But I never understood the young demograph that is often attached to Stewart and Colbert, because I know a bunch of older people who watch it, and even at the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear there was a quite an age-diverse crowd. Not as age diverse as a Black Sabbath concert today, but about diverse enough (in several ways) to pass for a DNC audience.

Underhill

Watch them both?
I don't have that strong a stomach.
Nonetheless, they both cater to audiences who treat entertainment as news.

"I say what I mean. I don't speak in code. That's why I am a star and ace communicator." Limbaugh

"You shouldn't listen to us at all if you're looking for information. We don't take ourselves seriously on any level; we're just comedians." Colbert

Pretty much sums up the difference between them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"I say what I mean. I don't speak in code. That's why I am a star and ace communicator." Limbaugh
"You shouldn't listen to us at all if you're looking for information. We don't take ourselves seriously on any level; we're just comedians." Colbert
Pretty much sums up the difference between them.
It'll look like a huge difference if one mines confirming quotes.