• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox News Tries to Bash Atheist and Agnostics

Jeremy Taylor

What I don't get is clearly the Colbert Report was satire, it wasn't meant to be taken seriously, but a bunch of conservatives thought he was for real.

Well, it must be said that some on the left do take Stewart and Colbert seriously as opinion makers at least.

Anyway, what I never understood was how they were funny. Maybe American's have a very different idea of humour, but I didn't find them funny all. It was all just loud yelling and sarcastic tones. A very different medium perhaps, but for near contemporary satire I would take Peter Simple any day.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, it must be said that some on the left do take Stewart and Colbert seriously as opinion makers at least.

Anyway, what I never understood was how they were funny. Maybe American's have a very different idea of humour, but I didn't find them funny all. It was all just loud yelling and sarcastic tones. A very different medium perhaps, but for near contemporary satire I would take Peter Simple any day.
Even if they don't take these lefties seriously, it still affects them.....
- They see the other side as comical & dumb....thereby losing the ability to see merit in them.
- They become entrenched in views & attitudes they already hold by living in an echo chamber.
- Unless they view competing sources, they'll be unaware of things outside their weltanschauung.

Like that last fancy word?
It's German for "world view", but it pops up in English here & there.
I just like the sound of it.
But I am put'n on airs a little too.

Underhill

- They see the other side as comical & dumb....thereby losing the ability to see merit in them.
- They become entrenched in views & attitudes they already hold by living in an echo chamber.
- Unless they view competing sources, they'll be unaware of things outside their weltanschauung.

Like that last fancy word?
It's German for "world view", but it pops up in English here & there.
I just like the sound of it.
But I am put'n on airs a little too.

Or you could just do what so many here seem willing and judge the shows without watching them as you professed earlier. The Daily Show goes after absurdity wherever it may crop up. I've seen them go after Hillary, Biden and Obama along with the Bushes and the Christies on the right. Yes, the show is biased towards a world view, but that world view has more to do with honesty and integrity than a political party. Something you could never say about Fox News.

Nothing is perfect and they get stupid from time to time as any comedy show will (and more so the Colbert Report) but they have managed to get young people to pay attention. For that I give them credit.

But the Colbert Report has gone the way of the dingo and John Stewart has retired. Let the parties commence. *boggle

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Or you could just do what so many here seem willing and judge the shows without watching them as you professed earlier. The Daily Show goes after absurdity wherever it may crop up. I've seen them go after Hillary, Biden and Obama along with the Bushes and the Christies on the right. Yes, the show is biased towards a world view, but that world view has more to do with honesty and integrity than a political party. Something you could never say about Fox News.
Nothing is perfect and they get stupid from time to time as any comedy show will (and more so the Colbert Report) but they have managed to get young people to pay attention. For that I give them way more credit.
But the Colbert Report has gone the way of the Dingo and John Stewart has retired. Let the parties commence. *boggle
I avoid political humor almost entirely.
It all seems pandering &/or abusive.
Don't get me wrong....I like abuse.
But ever since Mort Sahl disappeared (back to Canuckistan), most of it seems too pandering, predictable or myopic.
Sounds curmudgeonly, eh?

Underhill

A lot of Fox News is puerile and silly. It must be said that there are a few good Fox Shows, especially Fox News Sunday and Special Report. These shows are still biased, and perhaps in a little more overt way than the soft bias that inflicts just about news shows I know of (usually a left-liberal bias), but they are good journalism and give a different viewpoint from other shows.

Every news show may have some inate bias. But there is a marked difference. Some networks like NPR and CNN make an attempt at being non biased. They work very hard to give both sides their say (sometimes to the point of absurdity) and the presenters (outside of a few editorial shows) try not to express an opinion. Occasionally their view leaks through in the way they phrase a question or their facial expressions, but the attempt is made.

Even the most left leaning channel I know offers host who lean left but they have opinions from both sides even if the opinions are weighted towards their view.

I don't watch Fox on a regular basis, but I've seen enough to know that is not how they operate. I watched with awe and trepidation while they literally promoted the tea party rallies with informational hotline numbers and calls to get out there and show your support. I have never seen that on any other "news" network. I've seen them fabricate scandals out of thin air over and over. It is scary that they are the most watched news network by a wide margin.

Underhill

I avoid political humor almost entirely.
It all seems pandering &/or abusive.
Don't get me wrong....I like abuse.
But ever since Mort Sahl disappeared (back to Canuckistan), most of it seems too pandering, predictable or myopic.
Sounds curmudgeonly, eh?

Only a bit.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Not as frequently, they both made fun of democrats (Fox News was their primary target). In one show Colbert did in Iraq, Obama was poking fun at his own ears and saying he could hear what was going on in the studio because they're so big. There has also been support for some Republicans. If anything, Colbert made himself look dumb by making an *** of himself during interviews (some senators played along, and it was hilarious, some seemed to have no idea what was going on).
If you had watched them, you would realize your critiques, such as "the Left's Limbaugh," are not accurate.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Poking fun at Obama's ears is softball stuff.
(SJWs would likely decry it as racist if Limbaugh did the same.)
The left will never see that they play the same game as the right.
The reverse is also true. A rightish friend is convinced that the left
is far more dishonest. My arguments otherwise fall on deaf ears.
In this case, the left will point to differences between Colbert &
Limbaugh, but not face similarities. Moreover, lefties don't bring up
the Al Sharpton & Chris Matthews types, who are more comparable
to Limbaugh.

Underhill

This isn't clear.
Are you justifying militarization of police by noting its convenience?
Are you exculpating Obama because the locals go along with militarization?
I want a prez who will actively oppose this policy.

I'm less concerned with the size of the truck they are using (I've seen people ***** about SWAT using trucks that blur the line with tanks) than I am how they conduct themselves.

The military surplus stuff doesn't go as far as actual weapons. But does include body armor, vehicles etc...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It was Obama making fun of his own ears. Much like the one clip where it actually was Obama bashing himself as he read out loud "The Decree."
My arguments otherwise fall on deaf ears.
Limbaugh, but not face similarities.
The only similarities are superficial. The Colbert Report was satire, the platform of the show was comedy, it was on Comedy Central, and no one pretended it was anything other than that.
Limbaugh is a talk/opinion show, there is no intention of comedy, parody, and satire, and, unlike Stephen Colbert, Rush Limbaugh is not a comedian and his show isn't considered comedy. Colbert is taking over for Letterman. That is something Limbaugh will never do because he isn't a comedian and his show isn't a comedy.

Underhill

The left will never see that they play the same game as the right.
The reverse is also true. A rightish friend is convinced that the left
is far more dishonest. My arguments otherwise fall on deaf ears.
Limbaugh, but not face similarities. Moreover, lefties don't bring up
the Al Sharpton & Chris Matthews types, who are more comparable
to Limbaugh.

I know I am relatively knew here but I don't play those games. Stewart has a reputation for being an honorable upstanding character. Limbaugh does not. I can't stand Sharpton and if you were comparing him to Limbaugh I wouldn't have an argument. But if you need evidence just watch Stewart's last show. The number of people, left, right and center, who appeared on his show is a sign of how people feel about him. If Limbaugh had a similar show the spectrum of guest would be right wingers, far right wingers and his drug dealer.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/episodes/pjkw01/august-6--2015---jon-stewart-s-final-episode

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm less concerned with the size of the truck they are using (I've seen people ***** about SWAT using trucks that blur the line with tanks) than I am how they conduct themselves.

The military surplus stuff doesn't go as far as actual weapons. But does include body armor, vehicles etc...
They did get actual military weapons....
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...end-use-of-surplus-military-weapons/?page=all
But there is breaking news on this.....
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/obama-ban-military-weapons-sent-local-police-departments

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I know I am relatively knew here but I don't play those games. Stewart has a reputation for being an honorable upstanding character. Limbaugh does not. I can't stand Sharpton and if you were comparing him to Limbaugh I wouldn't have an argument. But if you need evidence just watch Stewart's last show. The number of people, left, right and center, who appeared on his show is a sign of how people feel about him. If Limbaugh had a similar show the spectrum of guest would be right wingers, far right wingers and his drug dealer.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/episodes/pjkw01/august-6--2015---jon-stewart-s-final-episode
Stewart's reputation doesn't interest me.
Way back when....I stomached a bit of his show.
I couldn't take it.....too agenda laden.
You're free to disagree.
But then I can't take Limbaugh either.

Btw, I'm not so concerned with illegal drug use....by Limbaugh, Obama or anyone else.
I'd legalize it.

I'm sure that most all of these loud talking heads (yes, even Limbaugh & Matthews) have some merit on occasion.
I don't think they're dumb or dishonest.....just not for me.

Hey, you are new!
I hadn't noticed that.
You fit right in.
(That isn't an insult, btw.)

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It was Obama making fun of his own ears. Much like the one clip where it actually was Obama bashing himself as he read out loud "The Decree."

The only similarities are superficial. The Colbert Report was satire, the platform of the show was comedy, it was on Comedy Central, and no one pretended it was anything other than that.
Limbaugh is a talk/opinion show, there is no intention of comedy, parody, and satire, and, unlike Stephen Colbert, Rush Limbaugh is not a comedian and his show isn't considered comedy. Colbert is taking over for Letterman. That is something Limbaugh will never do because he isn't a comedian and his show isn't a comedy.
I find the similarities more than superficial.
To push an agenda, either with humor or lecturing, is something in common.
Btw, I recall years ago that Limbaugh had quite a bit of comedy.

Underhill

I guess I was using outdated information. After a bit of research I found they were only releasing weapons to other federal agencies and the state police prior to 9-11. After 9-11 they opened the practice up to local police forces in the name of fighting terrorism (when was the last time police had a firefight with terrorist?).

But yeah, it looks like Obama was on this back in May.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I guess I was using outdated information. After a bit of research I found they were only releasing weapons to other federal agencies and the state police prior to 9-11. After 9-11 they opened the practice up to local police forces in the name of fighting terrorism (when was the last time police had a firefight with terrorist?).

But yeah, it looks like Obama was on this back in May.
Odd, ain't it?
It seems that our interest in militarization of police isn't matched in the news media.
I'd expect headlines with such a change.
Learn sumthin new every day.
Obama's stock just increased slightly.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Maybe so, but there are some herculean differences as well...
He tries.
The feminist updates, the environmental updates, & some I only vaguely remember.
He's like David Letterman......so funny so long ago.
But all the comedic life in them waned.

Underhill

The feminist updates, the environmental updates, & some I only vaguely remember.
He's like David Letterman......so funny so long ago.
But all the comedic life in them waned.

Maybe. The last time I listened to him was over 15 years ago (I was driving a truck and large swaths of rural America didn't have a lot of radio options) and he had been on the air a long time then.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Maybe. The last time I listened to him was over 15 years ago (I was driving a truck and large swaths of rural America didn't have a lot of radio options) and he had been on the air a long time then.
It's been at least that long for me too.
Nowadays, I only hear him when my assistant switches from NPR (my choice) to Rush or one of his Bible thumping shows.
It's a disturbing insight into a different perspective.
But hey....gotta be aware of contrary views, eh.