• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For the dismally ignorant

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
On the edge of extinction: why western chimpanzees matter – photo essay (a quoted piece)

Throughout history, the erroneous intuition that humans are radically different (even superior) to other animals has been used to justify our exploitative attitude towards nature. By holding a mirror up to ourselves, apes force us to abandon this “human exceptionalism”. In 1758, the Swedish naturalist Carl Linnaeus not only dared to place humans alongside monkeys and apes within the “primate” order, but even assigned humans and apes the same genus, Homo. Later genomic analyses would vindicate Linnaeus’s intuition, confirming that indeed chimpanzees and bonobos are more similar to humans than to gorillas. Our striking parallels with chimps become evident when considering almost any aspect of our biology. For instance, our immune systems are so alike that many infectious diseases that affect humans are also able to infect chimps, gestation also lasts around nine months, and infants have a prolonged childhood (up to 10-12 years) where they need to remain close to their mother and learn a set of skills that will be crucial in their adult life. At the same time, almost weekly we are shown new evidence suggesting that tool use, empathy and other capacities widely believed to be exclusive to our species are also present in other primates. As Darwin suspected, the gap between humans and apes (once thought an impassable abyss) seems to be “one of degree, and not of kind”. By fixing humans firmly within the animal kingdom, our ape relatives provided us with the right framework to understand our place in nature, and replace our dismissive attitude towards other animals with one founded on respect and curiosity. Paradoxically for the self-appointed “thinking ape”, we’ve been so obsessed with finding what makes humans “uniquely human” that only recently we’ve started to appreciate what makes chimps “uniquely chimpanzee”.

Why is it that so many fail to see the commonality with humans in such species and rather simply dismissing them as 'just animals'? :oops:

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
On the edge of extinction: why western chimpanzees matter – photo essay (a quoted piece)

Throughout history, the erroneous intuition that humans are radically different (even superior) to other animals has been used to justify our exploitative attitude towards nature. By holding a mirror up to ourselves, apes force us to abandon this “human exceptionalism”. In 1758, the Swedish naturalist Carl Linnaeus not only dared to place humans alongside monkeys and apes within the “primate” order, but even assigned humans and apes the same genus, Homo. Later genomic analyses would vindicate Linnaeus’s intuition, confirming that indeed chimpanzees and bonobos are more similar to humans than to gorillas. Our striking parallels with chimps become evident when considering almost any aspect of our biology. For instance, our immune systems are so alike that many infectious diseases that affect humans are also able to infect chimps, gestation also lasts around nine months, and infants have a prolonged childhood (up to 10-12 years) where they need to remain close to their mother and learn a set of skills that will be crucial in their adult life. At the same time, almost weekly we are shown new evidence suggesting that tool use, empathy and other capacities widely believed to be exclusive to our species are also present in other primates. As Darwin suspected, the gap between humans and apes (once thought an impassable abyss) seems to be “one of degree, and not of kind”. By fixing humans firmly within the animal kingdom, our ape relatives provided us with the right framework to understand our place in nature, and replace our dismissive attitude towards other animals with one founded on respect and curiosity. Paradoxically for the self-appointed “thinking ape”, we’ve been so obsessed with finding what makes humans “uniquely human” that only recently we’ve started to appreciate what makes chimps “uniquely chimpanzee”.

Why is it that so many fail to see the commonality with humans in such species and rather simply dismissing them as 'just animals'? :oops:
Mammals are uniquely mammals.
Reptiles are uniquely reptiles
Birds are uniquely birds
Humans are uniquely humans

IMV

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Mammals are uniquely mammals.
Reptiles are uniquely reptiles
Birds are uniquely birds
Humans are uniquely humans

IMV
just an observation about your observation:
Mammals, Reptiles and Birds are broad categories that each include many thousands of genuses and species...

Humans, on the other hand, are a really small branch of the 'unique' Mammal category...which includes more than 4,500 species if I recall correctly...

The scale of the comparison is at odds...

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
d18611f5-ef90-46ef-a3e5-05d70a378a24_text.gif

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Some people's religions tell them We are not like animals, nor are we animals.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Lack of education.
This is not an opinion you have to convince people of, it is a fact you can teach in kindergarten.

Here's a (remembered) conversation I had with a fundie Christian years ago.

Me: We are all animals.
Fundie: I'm not an animal!
Me: <Giving up on that one, and suppressing the urge to ask if he is vegetable or mineral> Chimpanzees have about 98% the same DNA as humans.
Fundie: Then I don't think much of DNA.

Education is great, but it batters in vain against the steel plated, tungsten riveted doors of ignorance that protect the minds of those that don't want to change their minds.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Some people's religions tell them We are not like animals, nor are we animals.

Yeah, and some people's religions tell them precisely the opposite - that we are animals and came from the earth and that it is our "mother." But this is not the intellectual tradition of Western culture. Secularist thinking has been as much responsible for the myth of human superiority as Christianity in that regard. The Enlightenment was pretty notorious for putting humans on a pedestal as the only "reasoning" animals.

If there's anything humans are better at than other animals (to our knowledge) it's abject hubris...

Heyo

Veteran Member
Here's a (remembered) conversation I had with a fundie Christian years ago.

Me: We are all animals.
Fundie: I'm not an animal!
Me: <Giving up on that one, and suppressing the urge to ask if he is vegetable or mineral> Chimpanzees have about 98% the same DNA as humans.
Fundie: Then I don't think much of DNA.

Education is great, but it batters in vain against the steel plated, tungsten riveted doors of ignorance that protect the minds of those that don't want to change their minds.
How old was that Christian fundie? Probably way past the point where they could have been educated.