• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Following a religion in 2021

firedragon

Veteran Member
I though I did that in the first post you responded to ITT. What specifically are you looking for?

Actually I just asked one question, which books do you refer to as scripture. So I dont think you gave me what I asked for. I am not looking for anything specific by the way.

Ill give you an example. Around 20 years ago I read the Bhagavad Gita because I was quite young and at that time it was one of the most read books of top CEO's in the world. Due to the strategies in the book one could in the business world develop several marketing strategies like rather than focusing on brand positioning based on market gaps or/and customers alone you should rather focus on moving or establishing based on your competition. Thats only one example.

So because of that in my opinion the Bhagavad Gita is as relevant today as it can be.

So I was thinking you would provide some enlightenment about the Upanishads since you cited them.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Well, a religion is defined by its scriptures who was revealed. So to me, update of religious practices is to update its scriptures.
Would not that go against the teaching it self? example in the bible it is said that one should not change even one word, because it is then no longer the word of God. So if human beings change the teaching to their liking, is that not against God?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, a religion is defined by its scriptures who was revealed. So to me, update of religious practices is to update its scriptures.
Not for us Hindus or Buddhists, or Jains certainly. Maybe most mystical traditions as well. Scripture records the understanding and experience of great sages in the tradition that continues on and on from ancient times to present. It's not a dictation (for us) from a God to a chosen person.

InvestigateTruth

Would not that go against the teaching it self? example in the bible it is said that one should not change even one word, because it is then no longer the word of God. So if human beings change the teaching to their liking, is that not against God?
That is only for ordinary people who are not supposed to change.

"We did send messengers before thee, and appointed for them wives and children: and it was never the part of a messenger to bring a sign except as Allah permitted (or commanded). For each period is a Book (revealed) God abrogates or confirms what He pleases; with Him is the source of all commandments"

Quran 13:38-39

This verse tells us, for each period of Time, Allah reveals a Book. He can either keep and confirm a previous law, or He can abrogate, remove or change it. The revelation is with Him.

Last edited:

MatthewA

For many of us who follow a religion or has faith in spiritual teaching there are scriptures that are hundreds if not thousands of years old, and often we can hear "how can you follow a teaching that is so outdated"

In the past i got frustrated with this kind of questions :) But then i started to think ( YEY i am thinking :p )

So the Question for this thread is: When following an "older" religion and its scripture, can we follow it as described but "update" it within our self (not the text it self) to go more along with the thought of 2021 modern world?
Or do we have to live in the "stoneage" as some people like to call it :)

Seems to me that even though Jesus Christ came and taught 12 chosen disciples and gave them commands to do. Even after doing them, and Jesus Christ dying, being risen again and the disciples continuing onwards to spread the good news of Christ ~ Along with His return to others who were part of the 12 tribes of Israel. Then the disciples themselves were killed for teaching, and preaching the good news ~ Eventually they were killed for their profession of faith.

It's intriguing why these men would do such a thing, however they were taught by the Lord Jesus Christ, and believe this still today, that the Lord Jesus Christ and what He has to say about the promises of eternal life, resurrection from the dead, having the spirit with you now on earth, having peace with God (The Christian God of The Bible) by and with Faith from making the choice to believe.

Following Christ is just simply listening and see what he is teaching and talking about. Christ teaches many things in parables, and not everyone understands the parables, and sometimes Jesus clearly explains to his disciples what the parables mean. Jesus also talks about many spiritual aspects of life by and through the parables, and sometimes Jesus Christ is directly speaking to his disciples, or to the gathering crowds around him and his disciples. So it is good to make those distinctions.

Other than that, Personally would say that (I do not follow religion though do follow Christ Jesus and am a believer in the Lord) Though many may see no use in Him, or what Christ has to say, or teach for that matter, but thank you for your question on Following a religion in 2021: For me it is more about a relationship with God, and Jesus Christ by and through the spirit.

What are some of the ways you follow religion in 2021?

InvestigateTruth

Not for us Hindus or Buddhists, or Jains certainly. Maybe most mystical traditions as well. Scripture records the understanding and experience of great sages in the tradition that continues on and on from ancient times to present. It's not a dictation (for us) from a God to a chosen person.

Right, I think because Hinduism is a very old religion, so, recording and keeping writings was not as easy as it is now, in our age.

However, for example Krishna, is believed to be a Manifestation of God by some Hindus, and His words are not just experiences of sages, rather it is God who spoke them. I understand that not all Hindus believe in Krishna, but, again, that is the typical division in religion where some people believe in one God, someone else in other God's.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Right, I think because Hinduism is a very old religion, so, recording and keeping writings was not as easy as it is now, in our age.

However, for example Krishna, is believed to be a Manifestation of God by some Hindus, and His words are not just experiences of sages, rather it is God who spoke them. I understand that not all Hindus believe in Krishna, but, again, that is the typical division in religion where some people believe in one God, someone else in other God's.
Any fully realized being can manifest the God within at will. Krishna would be one such.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Seems to me that even though Jesus Christ came and taught 12 chosen disciples and gave them commands to do. Even after doing them, and Jesus Christ dying, being risen again and the disciples continuing onwards to spread the good news of Christ ~ Along with His return to others who were part of the 12 tribes of Israel. Then the disciples themselves were killed for teaching, and preaching the good news ~ Eventually they were killed for their profession of faith.

It's intriguing why these men would do such a thing, however they were taught by the Lord Jesus Christ, and believe this still today, that the Lord Jesus Christ and what He has to say about the promises of eternal life, resurrection from the dead, having the spirit with you now on earth, having peace with God (The Christian God of The Bible) by and with Faith from making the choice to believe.

Following Christ is just simply listening and see what he is teaching and talking about. Christ teaches many things in parables, and not everyone understands the parables, and sometimes Jesus clearly explains to his disciples what the parables mean. Jesus also talks about many spiritual aspects of life by and through the parables, and sometimes Jesus Christ is directly speaking to his disciples, or to the gathering crowds around him and his disciples. So it is good to make those distinctions.

Other than that, Personally would say that (I do not follow religion though do follow Christ Jesus and am a believer in the Lord) Though many may see no use in Him, or what Christ has to say, or teach for that matter, but thank you for your question on Following a religion in 2021: For me it is more about a relationship with God, and Jesus Christ by and through the spirit.

What are some of the ways you follow religion in 2021?
As a sufi it is the teaching through islam and the scriptures from our sufi masters through many many years that is the teaching i follow, that said. i am not a person who see haring others as something good, so the verses in the teaching speaking of war and voilance is something i do not practice today, i practice peace and compassion. and i believe this is most important in our 2021 world.
In this forum i do speak outward so people can see what i write here, but in my daily life most practice i do is inward, to become a better person, and that again will shine outward when change happen from within.

RestlessSoul

Although the narrative form of the Bhagavad Gita is a revelation from Krishna to the warrior Arjuna?

InvestigateTruth

Any fully realized being can manifest the God within at will. Krishna would be one such.
Sure. I believe such fully realized Bings are extremely rare. They happened almost one in a thousand years. They are not like average Joe, who are many. However, why would that mean, that God Himself does not speak, or has no right to speak?

MatthewA

As a sufi it is the teaching through islam and the scriptures from our sufi masters through many many years that is the teaching i follow, that said. i am not a person who see haring others as something good, so the verses in the teaching speaking of war and voilance is something i do not practice today, i practice peace and compassion. and i believe this is most important in our 2021 world.
In this forum i do speak outward so people can see what i write here, but in my daily life most practice i do is inward, to become a better person, and that again will shine outward when change happen from within.

Conscious Thoughts,

Have to respect you, and understand a lot of the things you are doing is to become a better person someone who is not out for violence and war, but rather peace and compassion.

Never read, or understood sufi, but if that is what you practice wont tell you that is wrong, but have you ever looked in to the things about Jesus Christ, and God in the Christian Bible?

Cause see though it seems sufi trys to explain the answer is with-in ourselves, but in Christianity the answer is looking towards Jesus Christ, and God. That is the only difference seen between the two that make them different.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Conscious Thoughts,

Have to respect you, and understand a lot of the things you are doing is to become a better person someone who is not out for violence and war, but rather peace and compassion.

Never read, or understood sufi, but if that is what you practice wont tell you that is wrong, but have you ever looked in to the things about Jesus Christ, and God in the Christian Bible?

Cause see though it seems sufi trys to explain the answer is with-in ourselves, but in Christianity the answer is looking towards Jesus Christ, and God. That is the only difference seen between the two that make them different.
Thank you for the question @MatthewA

I was born in to this life with christian parents, and looked in to the belief of Christianity when i was a teenager. But the priest in the local church was unable to answer mostly all my questions, so i lost faith in it, and started to seek for answer in different religions, this was from age 15 until about when i become 20 years old, then i was reading about Buddhism for some time and about a couple of year study i started to followed buddhism until last year, when i felt i could not understand or gain more wisdom from the path. So again i started to read, and when i read about Islam this time the truth hit me, and within Islam Sufism (inward path) opened my eyes to the deep wisdom of Islam. and honestly i found my home within Sufi teaching.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Sure. I believe such fully realized Bings are extremely rare. They happened almost one in a thousand years. They are not like average Joe, who are many. However, why would that mean, that God Himself does not speak, or has no right to speak?
No. They are not very rare in Hinduism's view. There are many hundreds if not thousands in a generation.
Personal God is an aspect of transpersonal Brahman which takes this form because the believers conceive of IT as a person.

MatthewA

Thank you for the question @MatthewA

I was born in to this life with christian parents, and looked in to the belief of Christianity when i was a teenager. But the priest in the local church was unable to answer mostly all my questions, so i lost faith in it, and started to seek for answer in different religions, this was from age 15 until about when i become 20 years old, then i was reading about Buddhism for some time and about a couple of year study i started to followed buddhism until last year, when i felt i could not understand or gain more wisdom from the path. So again i started to read, and when i read about Islam this time the truth hit me, and within Islam Sufism (inward path) opened my eyes to the deep wisdom of Islam. and honestly i found my home within Sufi teaching.

Okay, thank you for sharing. Sounds like you found where you need to be then. :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually I just asked one question, which books do you refer to as scripture. So I dont think you gave me what I asked for. I am not looking for anything specific by the way.

Ill give you an example. Around 20 years ago I read the Bhagavad Gita because I was quite young and at that time it was one of the most read books of top CEO's in the world. Due to the strategies in the book one could in the business world develop several marketing strategies like rather than focusing on brand positioning based on market gaps or/and customers alone you should rather focus on moving or establishing based on your competition. Thats only one example.

So because of that in my opinion the Bhagavad Gita is as relevant today as it can be.

So I was thinking you would provide some enlightenment about the Upanishads since you cited them.

One of my favorites, the Katha Upanishad, is the story of Nachiketa, the son of a brahmin who is performing a sacrifice in which he gives away his property. After thrice asking to whom his father will give him, the father responds, "to death I will give you" (which kinda has a similar meaning as "go to hell" does in the English language).

Nachiketa takes this literally and visits Yama, the Hindu deity of death. Yama is not present when he arrives, and as a result of having to wait three nights, Yama grants Nachiketa three boons, one for each night he sat in wait.

The first two boons, asking Yama for his father to not be angry with him and Yama teaching Nachiketa the fire sacrifice and naming it after him, aren't as important to the story, IMO, as the third. In the third, he ask Yama what happens after death. Yama tells him that it is very difficult to understand, so difficult, even the gods had their doubts, and tells him to choose another boon and release him from the request of that one, and even tempts him with promises of worldly riches.

Nachiketa understands that these riches are only temporary; that they will entertain the senses only for a short time (like that brand new iPhone ;)), and have only temporary value in one's existence.

Yama, being duly impressed with Nachiketa, goes on to explain the knowledge of the nature of man, Atman (the Self), and attainment of Moksha (liberation) through realization of Brahman (the Supreme).

In a nutshell, the Katha Upanishad is a story that explains the nature of one's being.

Earthtank

For many of us who follow a religion or has faith in spiritual teaching there are scriptures that are hundreds if not thousands of years old, and often we can hear "how can you follow a teaching that is so outdated"

In the past i got frustrated with this kind of questions :) But then i started to think ( YEY i am thinking :p )

So the Question for this thread is: When following an "older" religion and its scripture, can we follow it as described but "update" it within our self (not the text it self) to go more along with the thought of 2021 modern world?
Or do we have to live in the "stoneage" as some people like to call it :)

if your religion or any other religion for that matter, needs to be "updated" then it as either wrong and false back then or its wrong and false today. For a religion or anything else to be true it needs to stand the test of time, If I said God said so and so hundreds or thousands of years ago and today it needs to be "updated" then, what "god said" was never true to begin with. The truth does not change with time. The truth is constant. If a religion was written for the "stoneage" people then it was meant for that time only and not something that is given credence beyond that time therefore, not the truth. Just my thoughts and opinion.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
if your religion or any other religion for that matter, needs to be "updated" then it as either wrong and false back then or its wrong and false today. For a religion or anything else to be true it needs to stand the test of time, If I said God said so and so hundreds or thousands of years ago and today it needs to be "updated" then, what "god said" was never true to begin with. The truth does not change with time. The truth is constant. If a religion was written for the "stoneage" people then it was meant for that time only and not something that is given credence beyond that time therefore, not the truth. Just my thoughts and opinion.
As i mention in a few other posts :) it is not the teaching in it self that should be updated, it is how we as human beings who practice religion may need to think like a person in 2021 and less as a person from 1000-3000 years ago. But we still should follow the teaching given by the original teachers

Earthtank

As i mention in a few other posts :) it is not the teaching in it self that should be updated, it is how we as human beings who practice religion may need to think like a person in 2021 and less as a person from 1000-3000 years ago. But we still should follow the teaching given by the original teachers

It might be a language difference but, what I think you are trying to say is not "update" the religion rather you are saying that the followers should "adapt" to 2021. is that correct? If yes, then I 100% agree with you as long as you are not changing the original teaching and principles as you adapt. "Updating" means changing certain things about the religion that one might consider outdated, adapting means not updating nor changing but, it means using the same guiding principles in the past to reach rational conclusions today given how societies have changed

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It might be a language difference but, what I think you are trying to say is not "update" the religion rather you are saying that the followers should "adapt" to 2021. is that correct? If yes, then I 100% agree with you as long as you are not changing the original teaching and principles as you adapt. "Updating" means changing certain things about the religion that one might consider outdated, adapting means not updating nor changing but, it means using the same guiding principles in the past to reach rational conclusions today given how societies have changed
Adapt may sound better in a way yes