• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Following a religion in 2021

firedragon

Veteran Member
One of my favorites, the Katha Upanishad, is the story of Nachiketa, the son of a brahmin who is performing a sacrifice in which he gives away his property. After thrice asking to whom his father will give him, the father responds, "to death I will give you" (which kinda has a similar meaning as "go to hell" does in the English language).

Nachiketa takes this literally and visits Yama, the Hindu deity of death. Yama is not present when he arrives, and as a result of having to wait three nights, Yama grants Nachiketa three boons, one for each night he sat in wait.

The first two boons, asking Yama for his father to not be angry with him and Yama teaching Nachiketa the fire sacrifice and naming it after him, aren't as important to the story, IMO, as the third. In the third, he ask Yama what happens after death. Yama tells him that it is very difficult to understand, so difficult, even the gods had their doubts, and tells him to choose another boon and release him from the request of that one, and even tempts him with promises of worldly riches.

Nachiketa understands that these riches are only temporary; that they will entertain the senses only for a short time (like that brand new iPhone ;)), and have only temporary value in one's existence.

Yama, being duly impressed with Nachiketa, goes on to explain the knowledge of the nature of man, Atman (the Self), and attainment of Moksha (liberation) through realization of Brahman (the Supreme).

In a nutshell, the Katha Upanishad is a story that explains the nature of one's being.

Nice.

InvestigateTruth

No. They are not very rare in Hinduism's view. There are many hundreds if not thousands in a generation.
Personal God is an aspect of transpersonal Brahman which takes this form because the believers conceive of IT as a person.
I mean, the founders of Great religions, such as Krishna, Moses, or Jesus appeared very rarely. But, Yes, there could be inspired people more often, but, if one believes in divine origin of Religions, then, those who are inspired, and have true knowledge can understand the religion well, and possibly explain and interpret the scriptures well. It does not mean they can also make modifications in religion, to make it more user friendly or add new ideas and teachings, because the divinity did not say, you can make changes in Religion anyway you want. Although many have done this, but I dont believe it is appropriate.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
For many of us who follow a religion or has faith in spiritual teaching there are scriptures that are hundreds if not thousands of years old, and often we can hear "how can you follow a teaching that is so outdated"

In the past i got frustrated with this kind of questions :) But then i started to think ( YEY i am thinking :p )

So the Question for this thread is: When following an "older" religion and its scripture, can we follow it as described but "update" it within our self (not the text it self) to go more along with the thought of 2021 modern world?
Or do we have to live in the "stoneage" as some people like to call it :)

My understanding is that from age to age God sends Messengers with laws and teachings updated for that age. Today’s age requires a universal solution so God has sent a Messenger to unite all and establish universal brotherhood. World brotherhood was not possible in past ages because much of the world was not discovered and countries were disconnected geographically. But today, we can travel and be anywhere within hours and communicate instantly through the internet over the entire world.

So now the world is ready to be United as one family and all religions to live together peacefully and be as one religion.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
My understanding is that .. So now the world is ready to be United as one family and all religions to live together peacefully and be as one religion.
My understanding is different from that. I do not believe in existence of God and therefore not in anyone being selected as his messenger or representative of any sort. I think all those who claimed that and did not provide any proof other than their own writing were basically fooling other people. I am sorry, but the world is not ready to be united as one family and all religions to live together peacefully and be as one religion. That is an absolute false idea and the proof is in Gaza and Jerusalem. Only the blind are not able to see it.

463ee759af87837a0028f50abbcb69e4b4-israel-palestine.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Neuropteron

So the Question for this thread is: When following an "older" religion and its scripture, can we follow it as described but "update" it within our self (not the text it self) to go more along with the thought of 2021 modern world?
Or do we have to live in the "stoneage" as some people like to call it

Hi,

This is an interesting and "modern" way to handle religion or religious texts.

However, I can see a potential problem with this line of thinking.

Let's assume that a person believes in the writings of the divinity of his choice and follows religiously its requirements.
Wouldn't any alterations done on this writing, prompted by a more modern and assumed enlightened understanding, be an affront to his God and wouldn't this change be viewed as presumptuousness by him ?

If a religions text is so out of date as to be impossible to follow, perhaps these writings are not really inspired by a god at all, but is simply man made philosophy. In that case maybe it would be wise to look for writings that display real signs of emanating from a higher source ?

That being said, any God worth following would by necessity be very old, as would any advice he dispenses. Ignoring these writing exclusively on the basis that they are old is illogical.

Cheers.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So the Question for this thread is: When following an "older" religion and its scripture, can we follow it as described but "update" it within our self (not the text it self) to go more along with the thought of 2021 modern world? Or do we have to live in the "stoneage" as some people like to call it :)
I revise my religious views twice a day, in the morning and in the evening. My religion has no component of faith. It hates faith and considers it ignorance. It goes 100% by science.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I mean, the founders of Great religions, such as Krishna, Moses, or Jesus appeared very rarely. But, Yes, there could be inspired people more often, but, if one believes in divine origin of Religions, then, those who are inspired, and have true knowledge can understand the religion well, and possibly explain and interpret the scriptures well. It does not mean they can also make modifications in religion, to make it more user friendly or add new ideas and teachings, because the divinity did not say, you can make changes in Religion anyway you want. Although many have done this, but I dont believe it is appropriate.
We believe in very different religious beliefs. I do not believe that a divine entity dictated any scripture. All scriptures are inspired writings of realized sages telling what they have understood and experienced during their practice. Some of these may be more popular than others as they appeal to more people. But any person can pick up any such writing or saying from any such person(s) and follow it. There is no such thing as edition 1, revised edition 2, re-revised and expanded edition 3 etc that are issued from the sky from time to time.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
My understanding is different from that. I do not believe in existence of God and therefore not in anyone being selected as his messenger or representative of any sort. I think all those who claimed that and did not provide any proof other than their own writing were basically fooling other people. I am sorry, but the world is not ready to be united as one family and all religions to live together peacefully and be as one religion. That is an absolute false idea and the proof is in Gaza and Jerusalem. Only the blind are not able to see it.

463ee759af87837a0028f50abbcb69e4b4-israel-palestine.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Yes I agree with you we have a long way to go but I believe in the goodness in humanity and that it will eventually prevail. Already technology has brought together the world as one neighbourhood. The American civil war stands out as an example of how a divided state can become a united nation. Who would have predicted in 1863 that the civil war would have ended up leading to the USA? Today unity and peace seems impossible as you mention, and it seemed impossible then too but I believe that just as unity appeared then, the world will unite in a similar manner.

Fallen Prophet

For many of us who follow a religion or has faith in spiritual teaching there are scriptures that are hundreds if not thousands of years old, and often we can hear "how can you follow a teaching that is so outdated"

In the past i got frustrated with this kind of questions :) But then i started to think ( YEY i am thinking :p )

Truth is truth - it does not become outdated and needs no "modernizing".

What the truth is is anyone's guess - but I know that it can be as old as time.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The poetry is also great. Here is an excerpt on what Nachiketas said to Death

Since the passing days of a mortal, O Death,
sap here the energy of all the senses;
And even a full life is but a trifle;
so keep your horses, your songs and dances!

27 With wealth you cannot make a man content;
Will we get to keep wealth, when we have seen you?
And we get to live only as long as you will allow!
So, this alone is the wish that I'd like to choose.

28 What mortal man with insight,
who has met those that do not die or grow old,
himself growing old in this wretched and lowly place,
looking at its beauties, its pleasures and joys,would delight in a long life?

29 The point on which they have great doubts—
what happens at that great transit—
tell me that, O Death!
This is my wish, probing the mystery deep.
Naciketas wishes for nothing other than that.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Today unity and peace seems impossible as you mention, and it seemed impossible then too but I believe that just as unity appeared then, the world will unite in a similar manner.
Sorry to break your bubble, but have you factored in China, India, Pakistan, North Korea, South Korea, Taiwan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Ukraine, Russia, Sudan, Ethiopia, Malawi, Chad, Nigeria, etc. into it? You Allah does not seem to want peace. Bahaollah got the message wrong. Not his fault. Allah selected a wrong person. That is why Allah sent Mirza Ghulam Ahmad immediately later.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Truth is truth - it does not become outdated and needs no "modernizing".

What the truth is is anyone's guess - but I know that it can be as old as time.

Spiritual truth is eternal but religious social laws are relative and meant for the age and people in which they were revealed. Today spiritual truths need to be world embracing ratter than limited to one country, race or religion because technology has caused interaction and mingling with diverse people so a world ethic which is inclusive of all is today required.

That teaching is the oneness of all humanity. This belief will unite us all as one race, as one human family working together for the betterment of humanity.

In days old the law was to love your country, but today it is to love the whole world.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Sorry to break your bubble, but have you factored in China, India, Pakistan, North Korea, South Korea, Taiwan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Ukraine, Russia, Sudan, Ethiopia, Malawi, Chad, Nigeria, etc. into it? You Allah does not seem to want peace. Bahaollah got the message wrong. Not his fault. Allah selected a wrong person. That is why Allah sent Mirza Ghulam Ahmad immediately later.

Yes of course they are factored in. We have Baha’is from all these nations living in perfect harmony and working together for the betterment of the world. So for instance Palestinian and Jewish, Russian and American, Chinese and Taiwanese, South and North Korean Baha’is are all as one. All races, nationalities, religions and cultures are present in the diversity of the Bahá’í World Community getting along without the conflicts that exist between them outside the Bahá’í Community.

Baha’u’llah has brought us all together in a widening embrace. It’s just a matter of time for humanity to accept we are all one human family. Sure it’s difficult to pull away from nationalism and racial prejudices, but in time I believe we will eventually become more universal in our attitudes, resulting in peace. It’s a struggle definitely, but I believe humanity is headed towards unity. However, there will be occasional setbacks.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Hi,
isn't that just semantics? Most actions are preceded by thoughts.
Hopefully we think before we act and speak :)

But to be a religious person today is probably different than it was 2000 years ago. So how we use our understanding of the teaching may be somwhat different.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Well most knows what happens if something stays stagnet.

Everything is change and scripture should be no exception.

That said, having an original foundation can still be useful to build on.