• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finding a new church or worship center

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What was false about his claims?
What makes you think the attacks were unwarranted?
He made claims about others that he never was able to justify. "You do not believe in my God" is not a valid reason to accuse others of that. Would I be justified in accusing you of that simply because we have different religious beliefs? He may have believed those false claims that that does not make them facts.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
How do you do it, if you move? I am including all religions here but mostly Christian churches because there are more Christian churches than any other religion in America.

I watched the Hillsong special where people said they went there, visiting with a friend who led them to believe they were very liberal because they accepted everyone dressed in any way they want and accepted people who dressed in different ways.

But after they went for a while realized they were a conservative evangelical church with lots of rules after.

I know what church I am going to visit so it's not for me. But since I saw the special on Hillsong, I would like to know if anyone has an opinion on the best way of finding a church that works, that is good, and what are your requirements.

I think knowing who the Pastor is, some of the leadership, and knowing the beliefs is a good start. My sister made a comment on the nondenominational churches being good again, the goody guys.

I disagree. I want to know the tenants, doctrines, beliefs, and teachings of the church first. To me Nondenominational churches can mean anything, just saying you are Christian doesn't mean anything.

If I am happy with my church there is no reason to visit anyone's church anyways. But anyways, so what's your opinion?
Did you try a new church this weekend? If so... how did it go? What kind?

Riders

Did you try a new church this weekend? If so... how did it go? What kind?

I am going to wait till I am more mobile. I am hoping I can get out in December. I plan on going to either a Lutheran church or a United Methodist church, both of which I have visited.
They both welcome gays and lesbians.Although I am heterosexual
but I won't go to a church that does not welcome gays and lesbians.

I am not Christian but both churches will welcome me regardless.They are really nice people, I like them.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I am going to wait till I am more mobile. I am hoping I can get out in December. I plan on going to either a Lutheran church or a United Methodist church, both of which I have visited.
They both welcome gays and lesbians.Although I am heterosexual
but I won't go to a church that does not welcome gays and lesbians.

I am not Christian but both churches will welcome me regardless.They are really nice people, I like them.
Hey Riders.
When you say "welcome them", do you mean welcome them, or welcome their lifestyle?
There is a difference, I'm sure you know.

For example, one might welcome all persons, even the vagrant and drug addicts... even giving them a meal, a shower, clothing... but they may not welcome their practices.

The drug addict may want to practice taking illegal substances, for example.
Do you think people should welcome that... if they are not themselves supportive of it?

This illustrates that not all things should be welcomed, and one who because of viewing particular actions, or practices... or lifestyles, as wrong, should not be considered "not nice".

Would you welcome me to come to your home and practice my bad habit of __insert action here__ :D
Surely you would not... and neither would you want me to consider you as "not nice", just because you do not agree with, nor accept my practices.

Isn't that reasonable?

Riders

Hey Riders.
When you say "welcome them", do you mean welcome them, or welcome their lifestyle?
There is a difference, I'm sure you know.

For example, one might welcome all persons, even the vagrant and drug addicts... even giving them a meal, a shower, clothing... but they may not welcome their practices.

The drug addict may want to practice taking illegal substances, for example.
Do you think people should welcome that... if they are not themselves supportive of it?

This could be a whole other thread. But from what I understand some United Methodist churches welcome their lifestyle and hire them to be leaders and preachers and marry them. Some churches support them by going to church but not the lifestyle.

I believe both churches openly welcome gays and lesbians and they say it on their website, we welcome gays and lesbians
But I don't believe they hire them or marry them.

Churches do usually have a whole ministry supporting GLBTQsBut if they say we welcome Gays and lesbians rhat usually means yes they welcome their orientation as valid too.

This illustrates that not all things should be welcomed, and one who because of viewing particular actions, or practices... or lifestyles, as wrong, should not be considered "not nice".

Would you welcome me to come to your home and practice my bad habit of __insert action here__ :D
Surely you would not... and neither would you want me to consider you as "not nice", just because you do not agree with, nor accept my practices.

Isn't that reasonable?

Riders

This could be a whole other thread. But from what I understand some United Methodist churches welcome their lifestyle and hire them to be leaders and preachers and marry them. Some churches support them by going to church but not the lifestyle.

I believe both churches openly welcome gays and lesbians and they say it on their website, we welcome gays and lesbians

Churches do usually have a whole ministry supporting GLBTQsBut if they say we welcome Gays and lesbians that usually means yes they welcome their orientation as valid too.

nPeace

Veteran Member

Churches do usually have a whole ministry supporting GLBTQsBut if they say we welcome Gays and lesbians that usually means yes they welcome their orientation as valid too.
Yes. Many are like the Pharisees of Jesus' day. They publicly declare one thing, and do another. We know what Jesus referred to them as - hypocrites.
The apostle Paul did as well...
(Titus 1:16) They publicly declare that they know God, but they disown him by their works, because they are detestable and disobedient and not approved for good work of any sort.

The Bible says they make a mockery of God, and cause people to speak abusively of the truth. (2 Peter 2:2)
Catholics in the archdiocese of Cologne on Saturday expressed shock that the church had paid more than €1 million to clear the private debts of a priest.

The news provoked particular outrage as it emerged that the money came from a compensation fund for the victims of sexual abuse, who have so far received only a small fraction of the amount used for the priest's debt.

What debts was the money used to pay off? Gambling debt.

Should those who claim to represent God's word, water down or adulterate it, or teach and promote what it says?

All of this is in line with your original post, since you said...
I would like to know if anyone has an opinion on the best way of finding a church that works, that is good, and what are your requirements.

I think knowing who the Pastor is, some of the leadership, and knowing the beliefs is a good start. My sister made a comment on the nondenominational churches being good again, the goody guys.

I disagree. I want to know the tenants, doctrines, beliefs, and teachings of the church first. To me Nondenominational churches can mean anything, just saying you are Christian doesn't mean anything.

So what do you think is a good church? One that teaches God's word, or waters it down - adulterates it, to gain favor with people?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Oh come on, SZ!. :rolleyes: We've had several differences of opinion. They usually conclude with your inability to dream up more excuses for your irrationality.
Championship level projection right there. Or you may be conflating me with someone else. When we have debated your ability to reason logically has always fled.

samtonga43

Championship level projection right there. Or you may be *conflating me with someone else. When we have debated your ability to reason logically has always fled.
Oh, I don't doubt for one second that you believe this. Unfortunately, the facts tell a different story.

*('Conflating'? I don't think this word means, in this context, what you think it means).

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Do they? That seems to be an unwarranted assumption.

And you seem to have forgotten. I do not follow a superstitious belief.

Evidence as per objective empirical evidence that it is a superstitious belief? What are the empirically observable properties of a superstitious belief? As far as I can tell you are doing a 1st person subjective evaluation. But I am open for evidence.

samtonga43

How do you do it, if you move? I am including all religions here but mostly Christian churches because there are more Christian churches than any other religion in America.

I watched the Hillsong special where people said they went there, visiting with a friend who led them to believe they were very liberal because they accepted everyone dressed in any way they want and accepted people who dressed in different ways.

But after they went for a while realized they were a conservative evangelical church with lots of rules after.

I know what church I am going to visit so it's not for me. But since I saw the special on Hillsong, I would like to know if anyone has an opinion on the best way of finding a church that works, that is good, and what are your requirements.

If I am happy with my church there is no reason to visit anyone's church anyways. But anyways, so what's your opinion?
Hi Riders
I haven't read the entire thread so I may have missed this, but why do you want to be a member of a church?

samtonga43

Evidence as per objective empirical evidence that it is a superstitious belief? What are the empirically observable properties of a superstitious belief? As far as I can tell you are doing a 1st person subjective evaluation. But I am open for evidence.
Yes. I'm a Christian, so I also do not follow a superstitious belief.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Oh, I don't doubt for one second that you believe this. Unfortunately, the facts tell a different story.

*('Conflating'? I don't think this word means, in this context, what you think it means).
Too bad that you do not even understand the difference between knowledge and belief.

Get back to me when you have something of substance.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Too bad that you do not even understand the difference between knowledge and belief.

Get back to me when you have something of substance.

To bad that you don't understand methodological naturalism. Come back when you understand knowledge.
Then we can continue.
And no, I am not a nihilist or solipsist. I do that faith in that objective reality is epistemologically fair. But I am not a naturalist, materialist or physicalist.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
To bad that you don't understand methodological naturalism. Come back when you understand knowledge.
Then we can continue.
And no, I am not a nihilist or solipsist. I do that faith in that objective reality is epistemologically fair. But I am not a naturalist, materialist or physicalist.
Your own posts refute you far too often.