• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finding a new church or worship center

Riders

How do you do it, if you move? I am including all religions here but mostly Christian churches because there are more Christian churches than any other religion in America.

I watched the Hillsong special where people said they went there, visiting with a friend who led them to believe they were very liberal because they accepted everyone dressed in any way they want and accepted people who dressed in different ways.

But after they went for a while realized they were a conservative evangelical church with lots of rules after.

I know what church I am going to visit so it's not for me. But since I saw the special on Hillsong, I would like to know if anyone has an opinion on the best way of finding a church that works, that is good, and what are your requirements.

I think knowing who the Pastor is, some of the leadership, and knowing the beliefs is a good start. My sister made a comment on the nondenominational churches being good again, the goody guys.

I disagree. I want to know the tenants, doctrines, beliefs, and teachings of the church first. To me Nondenominational churches can mean anything, just saying you are Christian doesn't mean anything.

If I am happy with my church there is no reason to visit anyone's church anyways. But anyways, so what's your opinion?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Google is your friend. When you are considering a church you can look up its specific denomination and what its dogma (internal rules for believers) is. That should help you eliminate the ones that will obviously not fit with your personal beliefs.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
How do you do it, if you move? I am including all religions here but mostly Christian churches because there are more Christian churches than any other religion in America.

I watched the Hillsong special where people said they went there, visiting with a friend who led them to believe they were very liberal because they accepted everyone dressed in any way they want and accepted people who dressed in different ways.

But after they went for a while realized they were a conservative evangelical church with lots of rules after.

I know what church I am going to visit so it's not for me. But since I saw the special on Hillsong, I would like to know if anyone has an opinion on the best way of finding a church that works, that is good, and what are your requirements.

I think knowing who the Pastor is, some of the leadership, and knowing the beliefs is a good start. My sister made a comment on the nondenominational churches being good again, the goody guys.

I disagree. I want to know the tenants, doctrines, beliefs, and teachings of the church first. To me Nondenominational churches can mean anything, just saying you are Christian doesn't mean anything.

If I am happy with my church there is no reason to visit anyone's church anyways. But anyways, so what's your opinion?
Grass isn't greener on the other side.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Hillsong is a great church. I know that in one place they purposefully started their church in the worst section of town to make a difference.

I have seen lines of people waiting to get in... so they must be doing something right.

But basically you just go around to services until you find a place that your heart says, "This looks like home!"

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Hillsong is a great church. I know that in one place they purposefully started their church in the worst section of town to make a difference.

I have seen lines of people waiting to get in... so they must be doing something right.

But basically you just go around to services until you find a place that your heart says, "This looks like home!"
Good marketing does not necessarily make it a "great church".

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I do when the other party can reason :D
Please, you know that is not true. In our exchanges you have always been the one that eschewed reason. As you have hear in this thread. All you have are personal attacks when your poor reasoning is pointed out.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Non denominational churches tend to be conservative. There are many denominations to choose from, but at least you know what you're getting if you stick with a denomination.

Psalm23

You can check out the churches website and look to see if they have sermons online to watch. Oftentimes a website will have a statement of beliefs of what they believe. Visiting a church you can note how welcomed you feel and how other people generally interact with each other. Perhaps talk to the pastor there or call the church over the phone to ask various questions you may have.

Riders

Except for the fact that several of their churches including the Dallas church has had to close down because the pastor had an affair with a woman he met in the park. They also abused the finances and had several affairs between leaders and followers. There have been many complaints.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe before I received Jesus as Lord and Savior I chose churches I was comfortable in after visiting. Afterwards I asked Jesus to choose my churches.

I believe I would have a lot to share on this.

I believe for now I will talk about my current church. I moved to another town and wanted a church within 6 miles of home. Jesus picked one out that is 6.8 miles away. It turns out to be a good place for me to be.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Google is your friend. When you are considering a church you can look up its specific denomination and what its dogma (internal rules for believers) is. That should help you eliminate the ones that will obviously not fit with your personal beliefs.

I believe when visiting my granddaughter in another state, I picked out a church to attend from the internet that had a video of a good band.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I believe when visiting my granddaughter in another state, I picked out a church to attend from the internet that had a video of a good band.
It depends upon what is important to an individual, and the subject of the song may have helped, but that does sound like a bit of a shallow reason to choose a church. The one example she gave has a dogma that she does not accept. You can check out what churches claim to teach if one is willing to dig just a little on the internet.