• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feminism is not egalitarianism

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh we've got our idiots, bus loads of 'em. :)
What was that particular person's ideas?

Hold on....... blokes together can behave differently as well. People have differing feelings etc, but the basic foundations of full equality can remain the same.

That's individuality. What makes you feel respected or not? That could differ from me to some extent. We need to focus upon the foundations of a basic equality about men and women, surely?

Some men might prefer to shower alone, some women might. Here in the UK we have separate toilet cubicles for everybody whereas in some countries they have (or had) communal loos.
Why shouldn't people have privacy to urinate, or bathe, or brush their teeth? Most do, I think.

Nobody has the right to tell a man or woman how to wash, bathe, go to the toilet, dress or anything else, so where a person raises these questions they surely need to understand that the answers will differ, it's nothing to do with gender equality.

It's not just the law...... UK equality law is not bad, but laws can't make a person respect another, it's also about hearts and minds.
We've got cartloads of bigots despite our good laws, and they show moronic minds over low intelligences, mental and physical disabilities, ages, genders (both), races, colours, nationalities ..... you name it.

Look at other kinds of bigotry...........

My (young) wife and I, we went to a wedding reception a couple of years back and sat at a circular table for the reception. For some reason the question went round the table about ages and folks were giving their ages to all. When I gave my age as 68 the husband of my wife's boss said loudly to my wife, 'And so in two years you'll be married to a 70yr old man....... so there!'

At another party a very religious gentleman explained to all that an electrical engineer who had been fitting external lighting to his home had been 'at least over 50' and had no right to be working on installations any more! When I asked he said that the work was OK and he had paid...... :shrug:

There you are, two examples of Ageist bigotry ........ so gender equality is bound to show up plenty of tw*ts, but in general we're moving forward. :)
What? No right to work over 50? That's a call to arms.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
There you go....... a trauma type situation saved your life.
Ain't that something? :)
Given my shy and quiet demeanor, you might be surprised at how many of my opinions and habits were shaped by trauma.

Believe it or not, I have made some pretty spectacular mistakes.

Wheeeee!
:)
Tom

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
What? No right to work over 50? That's a call to arms.

Well, In the UK any kind of Ageism was a call for legislation in order to stop it. If a person is able to carry out a job or duty then age should not be a reason to stop them, and they should be allowed to do it.

I can remember when job adverts specified the required age, gender, marital status etc that would suit the job in question. Not any more.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Given my shy and quiet demeanor, you might be surprised at how many of my opinions and habits were shaped by trauma.

Believe it or not, I have made some pretty spectacular mistakes.

Wheeeee!
Tom

Mistakes?
When I think back through all I positively sigh and blush at the thought of the incredible number of eff-ups that have punctuated my life.

And the number of stupid and dangerous things that I did which somehow, by fate or the grace of God I was allowed to survive.

So I would find it quite impossible to impart tips of wisdom to any of the grand-kids without feeling like a total tw*t.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
The awkward reality I am describing is that feminism and egalitarianism are not at all the same.

Pragmatic egalitarianism recognizes the differences between people, and tries to do the best thing for everyone. At least, that's how I interpret it. I am fine with requiring men to take responsibility for the outcome of their Choice.(to have sex). It's the feminist, anti-egalitarian, notion that women can't be expected to take such responsibility but men can that I am using as an example.
Tom
i.e. strawman feminism

Kangaroo Feathers

That was a response to Armored post#59 who brought in other issues that mostly affect women. I responded with issues that mostly affect men.
Both sexes have issues, females don't have a monopoly on problems.
I don't see anyone here claiming women have any such monopoly, do you?

Here's a pro-tip for you and any lurking red pillers, acknowledging women have issues affecting them as a group needn't be considered a zero sum game by delicate, insecure men.

male sexual assaultabuse.jpg

Last edited:

Akivah

I don't see anyone here claiming women have any such monopoly, do you?

Here's a pro-tip for you and any lurking red pillers, acknowledging women have issues affecting them as a group needn't be considered a zero sum game by delicate, insecure men.
The thing is, whenever men bring up their issues, they are dismissed, protested or trivialized by new wave feminists.

Such as this, a day devoted to men's health issues:
Row after University of York cancels International Men’s Day event

Kangaroo Feathers

Both sexes have issues. Men have a higher death rate and die earlier than women. So? We are still equal under law in the USA.
Pretty sure death rates areen't subject to the law.
The thing is, whenever men bring up their issues, they are dismissed, protested or trivialized by new wave feminists.

Cherry picked much?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

York University deserved to get that event cancelled. The crazy organisers posted a schedule which included issues within the university itself, contending against female positions held etc. So it was never going to be a day devoted to men's health issues, but a contentious internal gender debate.

Sentences from the day's proposed activities:-
''.................we do not believe that this is furthered by the promotion of International Men’s Day in general and are concerned by the particular way in which the university has chosen to do so.
“A day that celebrates men’s issues – especially those outlined in the university’s statement – does not combat inequality, but merely amplifies existing, structurally imposed, inequalities.”
Addressing claims about men’s under-representation at the university, the ...............................''

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I wonder what Radical-feminists, New-Wave-Feminists, Feminists and Egalitarian-women think about each other?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
As opposed to, you know, actual feminism.
Which one is that?
The one where men and women have equal rights, responsibilities, and opportunities? Or the many others that seem to dominate the conversation?

The first is indistinguishable from egalitarianism. I am all about that one. But even here on RF, that isn't enough to get you into the Feminist Only DIR. Real life isn't much different.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
As opposed to, you know, actual feminism.
Here's an example of pragmatic egalitarian feminism, an anecdotal bit from my own life.

My parents were very big on education. They wanted all their kids to go to university, and considered their job of raising us incomplete as long as we were in school. But whenever we decided that we were done in school, even for a semester, that bedroom turned into a home office or something within the week. They were done.
Call before you come over, because they are busy people.

They wanted all of us to get higher education, but they were especially adamant about my sisters. I was a senior in high school before I realized that not all parents supported their daughter's education so solidly. But my sisters were going to college, that was not a question.
My father finally explained this in very blunt terms.
"I want all you kids to get a degree. But it's a man's world. A man who is willing to work an honest days work regularly can always pay his bills and even raise a family. That is not true for women. Women must have a college degree to be able to support themselves and thereby be independent. A woman without higher education will always be dependent on some man. That isn't good enough for our daughters!
You will have the independence to choose your lives for yourselves, and for that you need a degree"

I didn't realize, at the time, that my conservative, depression baby, Catholic parents were such cutting edge Feminists.
Tom