• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite War Movies

Gunny

Semper Fi
War movies are one of my favorites (as well as Westerns). I was going to do a poll but there's far too many great ones to list. So list your favorite war flicks.

In no particular order.

- Apocalypse Now
- Saving Private Ryan
- Courage Under Fire
- Full Metal Jacket
- Platoon
- The Great Escape
- The Deer Hunter
- Patton
- The Dirty Dozen
- Schindler's List
- The Bridge Over The River Kwai
- The Longest Day

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Of that list, I've only seen Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List, and I don't know that I'd consider the latter a "war movie."

SPR definitely is my favorite. I'd add Red Dawn.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'd add to Gunny's list....
Das Boot
Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence
Slaughterhouse 5
Paths of Glory
The Americanization of Emily
The Battle of Midway
Seven Samurai

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I loved Saving Private Ryan. That's one of my favorite movies, let alone favorite war movie. My next favorite is probably Enemy at the Gates. I really liked that one too.

Sadly, I haven't seen Schindler's List yet. Seeing that movie is on my to do list. I don't really watch many war movies. I thought Full Metal Jacket was ok. If Last Samurai counts as a war movie, I thought it was decent.

Does Starship Troopers count as a war movie? :) I liked the satire in that one.

gnomon

When Trumpets Fade
The Wind that Shakes the Barley
A Midnight Clear
The Counterfeiters
Schindlers List
Stalag 17
Platoon
M.A.S.H.
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Grand Illusion
No Man's Land
Patton
The Dirty Dozen
The Longest Day
Full Metal Jacket
Stalingrad

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Lord of the Rings. Yeah, I'm counting it. :yes: And Star Wars. ^_^

I liked Starship Troopers.

But in terms of war movies, that's pretty much all I've seen and really liked.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Gunny I am surprised a devil dog like yourself didn't pick ....tears of the sun, however it wasn't a war kinda movie

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Patton with George C. Scott
Apocalypse Now
Empire of the Sun
Bridge on the River Kwai
Tora, Tora, Tora
Das Boot
Saving Private Ryan

Trey of Diamonds

In no particular order

We Were Soldiers
The Boys in Company C
Kelly's Heros
Longest Day
Midway
Tora Tora Tora
Battle of the Bulge
The Great Escape
Gods and Generals
Gettysburg
K12 The Widowmaker (Cold War but I count it)
Patton
A Bridge to Far

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Since some of the classics have been listed I'll add a few that I have not seen on the list.

Waltz with Bashir, a 2008 Israeli film about the 1982 Lebanon War. its unique in several ways, such as that it is done in animated format and includes documentary elements based on the director's (Ari Folman) experience during the war.

HBO miniseries Generation Kill. it's about the 2003 American invasion of Iraq and the job of Recon Marines from the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion‎ of the United States Marine Corps. very entertaining. read the book if your up to it, its written by journalist Evan Wright from the Rolling Stone who was embedded with the soldiers and wrote a series of successful articles about the experience.

HBO miniseries Band of Brothers, chronicling the experiences of the men from "Easy Company" of the 101st Airborne Division. outstanding and serious miniseries covering some of the essential campaigns during WWII and more importantly the men who took part in them. again, read the book if you can.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
Saving private Ryan is one of my favourites full stop. Very much like band of brothers too.

elmarna

The boy in the striped pajamas!
While contaversial - the message was so profound I must say it is the top of my list.
(I tend to dislike war movies) but this movie captivates war in the ways of it and the forcast of beliefs,lies, and tragedies that let's you see war in the ways of iÞ and does not glorify it or dismiss the horror!

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Henry V
The Thin Red Line
Saving Private Ryan
Schindler's List
Full Metal Jacket
Master and Commander
Black Book
Galipolli
Das Boot
The Hurt Locker
Band of Brothers
The Pianist
Restrepo
Life Is Beautlful
Shenandoah
Catch 22
The Mission
Taking Chance
Casablanca
The Young Lions
Sophie Scholl
Gone With The Wind

Oh, there are a lot more but my brain is tired now.