• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

faith is just an opinion...~bill maher

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I can't see the video at work, but if he's essentially saying that faith in the religious sense is just an opinion and that a lot of people give an undue amount of respect for those sorts of opinions, I agree with him.

There's no reason to treat a religious opinion with any more respect than any other opinion. That is to say, it should of course be respected -- but within reason.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Generally speaking, I cordially dislike Bill Maher.

But he is absolutely correct that religion has no place in American politics and government (except in the sense that members of religious or atheist groups should not be discriminated against for their beliefs). In that context, yes, faith is just an opinion, and while the right to that opinion must be respected by the government and not interfered with, that opinion cannot be a basis for American law or policy.

And he's correct in his implication that Rick Santorum is a zealot nutball who wants to turn our democratic republic into a theocracy.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants

But he is absolutely correct that religion has no place in American politics and government (except in the sense that members of religious or atheist groups should not be discriminated against for their beliefs). In that context, yes, faith is just an opinion, and while the right to that opinion must be respected by the government and not interfered with, that opinion cannot be a basis for American law or policy.

And he's correct in his implication that Rick Santorum is a zealot nutball who wants to turn our democratic republic into a theocracy.

I doubt that very much. Keep in mind that any religious leanings or opinions are going to be deemed in the theocracy bucket.

waitasec

Veteran Member

curious, when is faith not an opinion?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I like Bill Maher too. and he is right on the money. beliefs are a matter of opinion. I don't see that the public needs to lend more weight to social questions based on some 'religious merit' factor.

waitasec

Veteran Member
pero fe es nada mas que un opinion no?
si, hay cosas que todo mundo sabe que es malo por que todo mundo estan de acuerdo.

ok enough of my broken spanish :D
if i understood you correctly,
no one is trying to eliminate faith but rather faith is to be put it into it's proper place.
faith is just an opinion.. my new MO

Does this proper place have anything to do with dark places?

Of course there is some things that are universal; we just disagree on what the proper reaction to it should be.

not at all.
why do you ask that? faith just needs to be validated by something more than just an arbitrary opinion...

That's what you and I'm sure others want it to do. I don't ask that of it. I realized eons ago that I'm not going to find any emperical evidence or anything resembling what science does. However, from a philosophical perspective, it's solid and I don't necessarily speak of faith in the sense of walking on water and all that.

Anyways, this is getting off topic. :)

so qualifies religious faith to have any more validity than an opinion?