• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

faith is just an opinion...~bill maher

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
ok so what philosophical underpinnings are supporting the ban against same sex marriage and euthanasia?

Why? So you can call it an opinion and rant on about how it's all hocus pocus?

I can give you links to professors if you are really interested, but I'm not entirely convinced yet, so I sort of pick and choose where I spend my time.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Why? So you can call it an opinion and rant on about how it's all hocus pocus?

I can give you links to professors if you are really interested, but I'm not entirely convinced yet, so I sort of pick and choose where I spend my time.

then it is just an opinion
:beach:

dust1n

Zindīq
Every bit of knowledge is just an opinion, but we tend to give more weight to some opinions over others.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Isn't he the guy who is against vaccinations?

While America is still in the grips of swine flu mania, let me use this opportunity to clear up a few things about my beliefs concerning the flu shot, vaccines, and health in general. I do this because there is obviously a lot of curiosity about this subject of vaccines -- it comes up in every interview I do these days, and I've been finding that people, including doctors, are privately expressing a skepticism that is still not very prevalent in public. I feel like I've become a confessor for people who want someone to be raising questions about vaccines.

But I don't want the job. I agree with my critics who say there are far more qualified people than me -- its just that mainstream media rarely interviews doctors and scientists who present an alternative point of view...

Bill Maher: Vaccination: A Conversation Worth Having

and?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
While America is still in the grips of swine flu mania, let me use this opportunity to clear up a few things about my beliefs concerning the flu shot, vaccines, and health in general. I do this because there is obviously a lot of curiosity about this subject of vaccines -- it comes up in every interview I do these days, and I've been finding that people, including doctors, are privately expressing a skepticism that is still not very prevalent in public. I feel like I've become a confessor for people who want someone to be raising questions about vaccines.

But I don't want the job. I agree with my critics who say there are far more qualified people than me -- its just that mainstream media rarely interviews doctors and scientists who present an alternative point of view...

Bill Maher: Vaccination: A Conversation Worth Having

and?
Just wondering if he was the one I have seen various anti-theists raging about.

Levite

Higher and Higher
curious, when is faith not an opinion?

If one has subjective experience to believe what one believes, it may not be objectively provable, but it also makes it, IMO, more than just another opinion.

But we don't govern according to subjective principles: which is why Maher happens to be right in this case.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Sheesh, you really are snide one, aren't you. You don't have to insult every person you disagree with at every turn you know.

and you are innocent of being snide...?
:tsk:

it's rather interesting to note that you would consider my response as an insult rather than me just calling your bluff....
sensitive are we?

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
If one has subjective experience to believe what one believes, it may not be objectively provable, but it also makes it, IMO, more than just another opinion.
to be honest i'm not sure what you mean.

But we don't govern according to subjective principles: which is why Maher happens to be right in this case.

ok...
thanks

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
and you are innocent of being snide...?
:tsk:

it's rather interesting to note that you would consider my response as an insult rather than me just calling your bluff....
sensitive are we?
It seriously was an honest question. Why is that so hard to accept? And what bluff?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
your weak attempt to undermine bill maher's statement...
Huh? Why would I undermine it? I agree with the statement that faith is an opinion. Seriously, stop with all these assumptions. Not everyone has a hidden agenda behind everything they say.