• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facts about the frontal Lobes

factseeker88

factseeker88
QUOTE: We now know much about the frontal lobes: they support ‘executive functions’ within the brain such as planning, intending, imagining alternatives, initiating actions, directed remembering, and deferring gratification. In short, what makes us human."

https://dublin.sciencegallery.com/failbetter/icepicklobotomy

All of those are supposed to be what the brain does. Can it be that the frontal lobes, behind our foreheads, are our brains, not what fills the rest of our skulls?

Alceste

Vagabond
QUOTE: We now know much about the frontal lobes: they support ‘executive functions’ within the brain such as planning, intending, imagining alternatives, initiating actions, directed remembering, and deferring gratification. In short, what makes us human."

All of those are supposed to be what the brain does. Can it be that the frontal lobes, behind our foreheads, are our brains, not what fills the rest of our skulls?
Nope.

Alceste

Vagabond
Oh, the brain has other functions than those, and the most critical of them is language processing. As far as I know, when accidents occur, testing language processing is the first thing doctors do to the patient after checking vital signs.

But nah, I'm not a neuron/brain surgeon to give clear information about it :)

Exactly. Thinking Important Thoughts is fun and all, but I also enjoy breathing, walking, ducking when something is careening toward my head, having a heartbeat, digesting my food, etc. And I enjoy love, dreaming, sunshine on my skin, sex, and that upbeat, optimistic, excitable feeling one gets immediately after a big dump. (Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about - I've seen it in all kinds of mammals!)

If anything, I would say our ginormous frontal lobes are more of a handicap than an asset. Yes, sure, we're very good at Thinking Important Thoughts. So good, in fact, that we usually become so utterly imprisoned within those thoughts that we mistake them for life itself.

Nothing else on earth suffers from that particular form of madness to the same degree as humans. Every other animal on earth simply gets on with whatever it is that it wants or needs to do at any given moment, mostly lets go of the past, and lives without fear of the future.

Anyway, recommended reading: Hare Brain, Tortoise Mind.

Too long, won't read? The Cliff Notes version is this: Don't discount the usefulness of your entire brain without first understanding what it actually does for you.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Each part of the brain does different stuff. The brain stem, the frontal lobe, temporal lobe, they all appear to have their own functions that include some unique functions and many channels of cooperation among the various areas of the brain. However, the "brain cells" that we think of as the stuff that powers the brain only account for about 10% of the brain, with the rest being other stuff that is needed for proper brain function. It's kinda like a computer with it's different parts working separately but together, with all the parts and wires covered with insulation, cooling gels, heat sinks, and other components that are not a part of the computer function but still necessary for it's proper functioning.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator

"All" of what our brain "does"? Nope.

Possibly?

You undoubtedly may offer some compelling alternatives. :)

So....?

ZooGirl02

Exactly. Thinking Important Thoughts is fun and all, but I also enjoy breathing, walking, ducking when something is careening toward my head, having a heartbeat, digesting my food, etc. And I enjoy love, dreaming, sunshine on my skin, sex, and that upbeat, optimistic, excitable feeling one gets immediately after a big dump. (Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about - I've seen it in all kinds of mammals!)

If anything, I would say our ginormous frontal lobes are more of a handicap than an asset. Yes, sure, we're very good at Thinking Important Thoughts. So good, in fact, that we usually become so utterly imprisoned within those thoughts that we mistake them for life itself.

Nothing else on earth suffers from that particular form of madness to the same degree as humans. Every other animal on earth simply gets on with whatever it is that it wants or needs to do at any given moment, mostly lets go of the past, and lives without fear of the future.

Too long, won't read? The Cliff Notes version is this: Don't discount the usefulness of your entire brain without first understanding what it actually does for you.

You know, I think what you are referring to is the intellect. If I am wrong, please let me know. But anyway, I personally consider this feature of ourselves, which I call the intellect, to be a great blessing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The brain is a wonderful thing. It's Woody Allen's 2nd favorite organ.
It's Wirey's best friend one day, & mortal foe the next. To Viker, it's
zombie bait. And I use it for limerick manufacture & storage.
brain2.jpg

It's a demanding thing, requiring a great deal of energy...up to 20% of our metabolism.
It's so much that we have huge arteries supplying it. This would've been a huge disadvantage
in our evolution, unless it conferred some edge over our prey & predators. This points to
its great mass being a necessity, & it is our responsibility to discover what it's doing.

Brain (Human Anatomy): Picture, Function, Parts, Conditions, and More
• The cortex is the outermost layer of brain cells. Thinking and voluntary movements begin in the cortex.
• The brain stem is between the spinal cord and the rest of the brain. Basic functions like breathing and sleep are controlled here.
• The basal ganglia are a cluster of structures in the center of the brain. The basal ganglia coordinate messages between multiple other brain areas.
• The cerebellum is at the base and the back of the brain. The cerebellum is responsible for coordination and balance.

The brain is also divided into several lobes:
• The frontal lobes are responsible for problem solving and judgment and motor function.
• The parietal lobes manage sensation, handwriting, and body position.
• The temporal lobes are involved with memory and hearing.
• The occipital lobes contain the brain's visual processing system.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member

Wow, you managed to catch my post right before I deleted it. You rock :angel2:

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
The brain is a wonderful thing. It's Woody Allen's 2nd favorite organ.
It's Wirey's best friend one day, & mortal foe the next. To Viker, it's
zombie bait. And I use it for limerick manufacture & storage.
brain2.jpg

It's a demanding thing, requiring a great deal of energy...up to 20% of our metabolism.
It's so much that we have huge arteries supplying it. This would've been a huge disadvantage
in our evolution, unless it conferred some edge over our prey & predators. This points to
its great mass being a necessity, & it is our responsibility to discover what it's doing.

Brain (Human Anatomy): Picture, Function, Parts, Conditions, and More

WE HAVE S GENIUS ON BOARD :D

Ehm, when I studied those lobs in my Psycholinguistics course, I had to memorize POT for the order of Parietal, Occipital and Temporal lobs. The Frontal was easy to remember you know why. POT is an abbreviation for an anime called Prince of Tennis, so it was a good idea :D. No, I hated that anime. I only knew the name.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Been watching all kinds of brain scan shows for years.
Latest item I found interesting....
We 'light up' more so in our sleep than we do awake and on our feet.
The brain is MORE active after we go to sleep.

It is also noted certain predispositions do exist.
If your parents were mechanically inclined....likely you will too.
If your parents leaned to deep thinking....you too.
If your bloodline is hot tempered and aggressive.....too bad.

It was also noted that sections DO interact into one cognitive.
When separated the most odd of character can develop.
You might remember someone's voice but forget their faces.
You could forget all of your past up to the accident, and yet remain otherwise functional.

You could suddenly become unusually talented in one respect.
Artistically prolific, numbers are your best friends, making anything you care to make.....etc.

It does seem we do spend most of our waking hours sorting through the details of everyday life.

If we could just turn off the outside world long enough to be ....ourselves!

factseeker88

factseeker88

My life is like Shakespeare's Macbeth....

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” [/FONT]

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

The frontal lobe deals with the majority of our cognitive decision making skills and problem solving. Short term memory is also located in the frontal lobe. However long term memory is located in the frontal lobe which is located behind the frontal lobe. The hypothalamus is a part of the limbic system, which is a group of forebrain structures that has the hypothalamus, the amygdala, and the hippocampus. These are involved in motivation, emotion, learning, and memory.

But to wrap it up yes there is a lot that our prefrontal cortex does (in fact probably more than any other portion of our brain) but it is not the whole of our brain.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
If I remember correctly, it generally takes care of logic, as the professor generalized it after counting its functions.