• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook censors Mexican Cardinal

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Criticizing Trump is different from posting something demonstrably false about a pandemic. I wouldn't support censoring someone for merely supporting Trump on Facebook because that's a far less rigorous subject than a medical one where the science is both established and readily accessible online.

That and criticizing Trump doesn't endanger anyone's safety, unlike misinformation about an ongoing pandemic.

The two are different situations; I think your comparison pits apples against oranges.

I know the difference. The point is that it's a private company as you noted and it determines what it wants to censor whether or not it has to do with safety.

Once again, are you sure?

Quiddity

... until you click the "continue" button, right?

I didn't see one on my initial look and don't see one now. Even when I was on facebook, I don't recall a button that said continue.....but if that is indeed the case where they simply route you to another site, that is still censorship. They are essentially saying "not here".

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I didn't see one on my initial look and don't see one now. Even when I was on facebook, I don't recall a button that said continue.....but if that is indeed the case where they simply route you to another site, that is still censorship. They are essentially saying "not here".
I can't find the video on Facebook, but in my experience, when there's a warning like that, you may have to click on a button to acknowledge that there's misinformation in the video, but once you do, the warning disappears and you can watch the video.

Generally, if you can't watch a video at all, it's because Facebook has removed it. In those cases, you wouldn't even see a warning.

Quiddity

I can't find the video on Facebook, but in my experience, when there's a warning like that, you may have to click on a button to acknowledge that there's misinformation in the video, but once you do, the warning disappears and you can watch the video.

Generally, if you can't watch a video at all, it's because Facebook has removed it. In those cases, you wouldn't even see a warning.

I typically saw that with videos that had graphic material mostly.

It doesn't seem like they treat them the same. :shrug:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I already answered this above in quotes. If you listen to his entire video you can see the context, it's not difficult to see it.

And there is a difference between someone saying “the current COVID vaccine has a microchip in it” and “if we are not diligent the new world order regime can use the existing situation to someday plant a microchip in a future pandemic”.

So much for basic.

Actually no, I'm sorry but you didn't. I asked a very basic, yes or no question. You did not answer it. And again - there is no "New World Order." There is no plan to microchip the COVID vaccine or any other. That is conspiracy theory stuff.

So yes, it is extremely basic.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
"His comments are about where this can lead to and who is in control of it all."

This is basic for you?

First of all, a warning isn't censorship.
Second of all, the cardinal is an addled imbecile who is spreading misleading disinformation and unsubstantiated conspiracy theories that don't deserve to be taken seriously, thus the warning is well warranted.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
what's the vaccine supposed to do according to them if you are already gay?
It will turn you into a libertarian.

Don't worry...just kidding.
Anyway, I run into much opposition to taking any precautions
against the plague. They tell me it's government controlling
us too much, & even training us to be more obedient. They
see resistance as necessary...patriotic.

A proposal to change perceptions 180...
We need videos of actors posing as conservatives demanding
the right to wear a mask in public, to get vaccines, & to be
able to keep distance from the masses.
Imagine militia looking guys saying...
"It's a government plot. They're keeping us from using masks
in public! They deny us the vaccine that AOC & Bernie get!
They want us herded together in close contact to monitor us!"

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do grown adults need warnings though?

We can make decisions ourselves.

Quiddity

Actually no, I'm sorry but you didn't. I asked a very basic, yes or no question. You did not answer it.

And again - there is no "New World Order." There is no plan to microchip the COVID vaccine or any other. That is conspiracy theory stuff.

So yes, it is extremely basic.

Thanks for the convo. It seems fairly basic that I was giving context to the statement and therefore confirming it.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for the convo. It seems fairly basic that I was giving context to the statement and therefore confirming it.

Got it. So he did say that. So yes FB's warning of misinformation was completely reasonable. What he said is baseless conspiracy.

Quiddity

Got it. So he did say that. So yes FB's warning of misinformation was completely reasonable. What he said is baseless conspiracy.

The context is there for those that wish to listen.

Last edited by a moderator:

exchemist

Veteran Member

That's how we got the Capitol insurrection.

Spread enough lies, often and repeatedly enough, and people who want to believe it will convince themselves it is true.

That's why we need these warnings.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
That's how we got the Capitol insurrection.

Spread enough lies, often and repeatedly enough, and people who want to believe it will convince themselves it is true.

That's why we need these warnings.
No, we need adults to start taking responsibility for themselves.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
We have the evidence that many of them don't, in front of our eyes.

The world is not what you would like it to be, apparently.
Telling people what opinions are and aren't allowed by labelling them 'misinformation' is deplorable and soviet. I will never support it. It's not the proper response to people not behaving. Raising children with moral values and feeling a responsibility towards society is a better antidote than simply telling them what to think.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

They shouldn't, but unfortunately an alarming amount forgo critical thinking and fall for the most asinine conspiracy theories. Which is bad enough, but in the middle of a pandemic people irresponsibly acting upon falsehoods can greatly increase the spread of infection and death.
Also, the false claim that the election was "stolen" - despite being thoroughly investigated and disproven - triggered a violent and deadly assault upon our government.

Disinformation is dangerous.