• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook censors Mexican Cardinal

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
You really wanna win this don’t you?

You win.

Look, if you go back and read my initial posts, you will quickly see that the NWO was mentioned as a synopsis of what he is talking about in the video. That apparently triggered you even though I never noted that I believed it or even cared to make that topic. In fact, I made that clear by noting my disinterest in it, but you saw blood in the water and ran with it. The topic was censoring. That is far from a claim and if you saw it as shallow, it’s likely because you are grasping that isn’t there.

What I actually wanted was to determine what you think about the topic and why. But you don't seem to want that discussion.

You don't want to defend what the archbishop actually said. You don't want to explain why FB should not tag insane conspiracies as misinformation in the middle of a global pandemic raging through Mexico right now.

So I don't know what it is you want to talk about. :shrug:

If you decide, let me know.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Aren't you defending the right of someone spreading false and misleading information concerning vaccines?
Blaming facebook for enforcing its rules?
Do you think people should be able to say whatever they want regardless of the rules and TOS?
Would you support extremely racist language on facebook being censored?

You're just going to bush off the personal comment you made? :rolleyes:

But to answer your question, the idea wasn't to stop censoring or somehow have facebook stop enforcing its rules; I'm aware it's a private business. The reality is that government regulates private business, intrinsically, makes private business an arm of the government. We do not operate and never have, within a purely capitalistic model. They are as free as the federal government wants them to be and as much as the populace can stomach. We can't stomach the censoring of a bishop that makes conspiracy theories claims about some future vaccine, but seem to be perfectly fine with the Uyghur people dying because we need our Apple phones.

You see, I can object to a specific censorship and still understand it's value. It's not carte blanche to do whatever the hell you want.

Quiddity

What I actually wanted was to determine what you think about the topic and why. But you don't seem to want that discussion.

You don't want to defend what the archbishop actually said. You don't want to explain why FB should not tag insane conspiracies as misinformation in the middle of a global pandemic raging through Mexico right now.

So I don't know what it is you want to talk about. :shrug:

If you decide, let me know.

If you would have started with that, the conversation would have gone much more fruitful.

tytlyf

Not Religious
You're just going to bush off the personal comment you made? :rolleyes:
I said "Always the victim." This is the typical response of people who think social media websites are targeting conservative voices on purpose. They think they're victims of this mythical narrative.
I stand by my opinion.

But to answer your question, the idea wasn't to stop censoring or somehow have facebook stop enforcing its rules; I'm aware it's a private business. The reality is that government regulates private business, intrinsically, makes private business an arm of the government. We do not operate and never have, within a purely capitalistic model. They are as free as the federal government wants them to be and as much as the populace can stomach. We can't stomach the censoring of a bishop that makes conspiracy theories claims about some future vaccine, but seem to be perfectly fine with the Uyghur people dying because we need our Apple phones.
Regulations are part of life in America. It's a necessity. America has laws. Private businesses do NOT end up being "an arm of the government" as a result of regulations.
A purely Capitalist model is something no sane person would ever strive for.
Who can't stomach a conspiracy theorist being censored on Facebook? I can easily stomach it.

You see, I can object to a specific censorship and still understand it's value. It's not carte blanche to do whatever the hell you want.
I have no problem with private corporations setting rules and Terms of Service. People choose to sign that contract when they sign up.
In case you haven't noticed, propaganda and disinformation is the #1 reason there is extreme division in America. You shouldn't encourage it. This goes much deeper than just some religious person being censored for violating rules.

Next you're going to tell me something about "free speech" right?

Quiddity

I said "Always the victim." This is the typical response of people who think social media websites are targeting conservative voices on purpose. They think they're victims of this mythical narrative.
I stand by my opinion.

Do you really want to have a discussion with labels projected? Good luck with that.
Regulations are part of life in America. It's a necessity. America has laws. Private businesses do NOT end up being "an arm of the government" as a result of regulations.
A purely Capitalist model is something no sane person would ever strive for.
Who can't stomach a conspiracy theorist being censored on Facebook? I can easily stomach it.
The FDA, OHSA, EPA, IRS, FTC, USPS, and others, individually and as a whole, define how a private business obtains goods and services, how it produces goods and services, and how it sells goods and services. To implement government policy within a private business, the aggregate government can use a silk glove, but, increasingly, it uses a cudgel. Agree to disagree.
I have no problem with private corporations setting rules and Terms of Service. People choose to sign that contract when they sign up.
In case you haven't noticed, propaganda and disinformation is the #1 reason there is extreme division in America. You shouldn't encourage it. This goes much deeper than just some religious person being censored for violating rules.

Next you're going to tell me something about "free speech" right?
Your wokeness is quite unpalatable. This won't go far quick if you seem to be incapable of projecting.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Do you really want to have a discussion with labels projected? Good luck with that.

Fortunately, I understand far-right false narratives. What they think and what their overall 'value' system is.

The FDA, OHSA, EPA, IRS, FTC, USPS, and others, individually and as a whole, define how a private business obtains goods and services, how it produces goods and services, and how it sells goods and services. To implement government policy within a private business, the aggregate government can use a silk glove, but, increasingly, it uses a cudgel. Agree to disagree.
Regulations and safety laws are good. The only people who hate regulations are corrupt, greedy A-holes who don't give a damn about it's employees or the American worker.

Your wokeness is quite unpalatable. This won't go far quick if you seem to be incapable of projecting.
I'm not the one defending conspiracy theories and misinformation. There is no 'slippery slope.' Move on.

Quiddity

Fortunately, I understand far-right false narratives. What they think and what their overall 'value' system is.

Regulations and safety laws are good. The only people who hate regulations are corrupt, greedy A-holes who don't give a damn about it's employees or the American worker.

I'm not the one defending conspiracy theories and misinformation. There is no 'slippery slope.' Move on.
It's obvious you didn't bother to read what I had to say about the conspiracy theories or even bother to see what the actual video had to say. Nothing but projecting and labeling here.

I put as much stock in your understanding (given this encounter) as I do in Trumps election fraud...not much.

tytlyf

Not Religious
It's obvious you didn't bother to read what I had to say about the conspiracy theories or even bother to see what the actual video had to say. Nothing but projecting and labeling here.

I put as much stock in your understanding (given this encounter) as I do in Trumps election fraud...not much.
I don't have to watch the video as I respect the decision of Facebook for enforcing it's rules. They've already watched it.
I take their word for it.
I do a lot of research and enjoy politics for it's psychological reasons. That's why I enjoy it.
The things I say are original and you won't find them on any media source.
Can't say the same for the ditto-heads unfortunately.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
You know full well that isn't what I was asking. The question was, are you sure the Bishop is saying and concluding what you have in mind?

At this point, it's rather obvious you will simply call upon the great reason fairy and believe facebook.

Not to worry, none of us are immune from it. But in this case, your presuppositions ooze out of my screen.

Since I don't speak Spanish, I'm going by the words in the AP article you linked:

The article said:
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Facebook has placed a warning screen over a rambling chat by retired Mexican Cardinal Juan Sandoval Iñiguez in which he claims coronavirus vaccines contain a satanic microchip.

The article said:
In the video, he refers to “the chip that they are planning to put in the vaccine to control you, it is the mark of the beast.”

These are blatantly unevidenced statements promoting misinformation and fearmongering with respect to vaccines amid a global pandemic. Unless his words are terribly misquoted or mistranslated in the article, then my point still stands: Facebook's decision to censor this irresponsible and dangerous irrationality was correct.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Figures.

Thanks for the chat.
At the end of the day, what the Mexican citizen said was irresponsible and should not be spread through facebook social media themes as "look, another example of conservative voices being silenced by Big Tech libruls!!!"

Don't encourage the behavior