• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exxon CEO Tillerson emerges as frontrunner for Secretary of State

Sultan Of Swing

"ExxonMobil president and CEO Rex Tillerson is the leading contender to be America's next secretary of state, according to two Trump transition aides.

Tillerson, an oil executive with extensive experience in international negotiations, has risen the top of Trump's short list for Foggy Bottom in recent days. Former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani withdrew from the process late Friday afternoon, saying he planned to return to the private sector.

At Exxon, Tillerson has been known for his ability to reach complex international agreements. He also brings deep ties to Russia: As an Exxon executive he managed ties between the company and the Kremlin and in 2011 struck a deal that allowed the company to access Arctic resources in Russia.

But that deal was blocked by subsequent U.S. sanctions against Russia — sanctions that Tillerson sharply criticized for failing to consider the "broad collateral damage" they caused.

Tillerson joined the oil giant as an engineer in 1975, working his way up to run the massive oil firm. If he is nominated, his extensive holdings in a company with massive international assets, as well as his personal ties to Russian President Vladimir Putin, could complicate his confirmation process."

Full article: ExxonMobil CEO Tillerson emerging as frontrunner for secretary of state

Thoughts?

I'd be pretty happy with this pick, it would mean Trump is serious about a new foreign policy that engages with Russia, with Tillerson opposing Russian sanctions and having an existing relationship with Putin and other world leaders. Unlike Romney, Bolton, Corker or Petraeus, who would signal more of the same neocon foreign policy. Trump has also made the establishment happy with many of his cabinet picks, he's earned himself a more maverick pick like Tillerson.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Thoughts?

I'd be pretty happy with this pick, it would mean Trump is serious about a new foreign policy that engages with Russia, with Tillerson opposing Russian sanctions and having an existing relationship with Putin and other world leaders. Unlike Romney, Bolton, Corker or Petraeus, who would signal more of the same neocon foreign policy. Trump has also made the establishment happy with many of his cabinet picks, he's earned himself a more maverick pick like Tillerson.
Concern, largely. This does not bode well for Ukraine's territorial integrity.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Its idiotic to even consider the CEO of Exxon for the position, what are Trump's idiots thinking!!

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I just have questions since I don't know much about him. My hesitation is that Trumps appointments might lack some experience in these high profile areas. We shall see.

Sultan Of Swing

From here on I'm going to ignore any time a job application says "must have x-years experience."
Well he has experience reaching 'complex international negotiations' and has existing relationships with a number of world leaders. He has to often deal with world leaders and so would be experienced on the international field. I would say this goes beyond anything Romney would have to offer, for example.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I just have questions since I don't know much about him. My hesitation is that Trumps appointments might lack some experience in these high profile areas. We shall see.
Didn't Obama nullify this type of argument. He had zero experience prior to saddling up. His supports seem to think he did a pretty good job in spite of having zero experience.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Ah, more Russian/Ukranian ties. Why is everything this election season tied to Russia? I mean Trump fired his manager for ties. Dangerous.

Sultan Of Swing

Ah, more Russian/Ukranian ties. Why is everything this election season tied to Russia? I mean Trump fired his manager for ties. Dangerous.
Tillerson is one of the few Americans who has a personal relationship with Vladimir Putin.

Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to the reader, but I think for the top diplomat that's some pretty good leverage to have when dealing with a great power like Russia.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Didn't Obama nullify this type of argument. He had zero experience prior to saddling up. His supports seem to think he did a pretty good job in spite of having zero experience.
Question, do most cabinet position nominations go this way? Ill be honest, I didn't pay much attention with Obama's nominations. If this is typical (not too much experience related to the duties), I think there is less reason to be alarmed. This is all new ground for me.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a very hard time imagining that someone in charge of one of the most demonic industries on the planet is in any way a wise choice for performing negotiations that are in the best interest of the general public of any country, much less negotiations involving multiple countries.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Finally the Republican's will have to stop claiming its not all about the oil when they invade a country!!

Sultan Of Swing

I have a very hard time imagining that someone in charge of one of the most demonic industries on the planet is in any way a wise choice for performing negotiations that are in the best interest of the general public of any country, much less negotiations involving multiple countries.
Depends what he'd be willing to divest before he would take office and what actual conflicts of interest he would then be left with. If Tillerson removes any business interests, perhaps it would be a good thing to have a ruthless negotiator negotiating on behalf of the American people, and one with a wide range of connections and existing relationships with world leaders?

Sultan Of Swing

Question, do most cabinet position nominations go this way? Ill be honest, I didn't pay much attention with Obama's nominations. If this is typical (not too much experience related to the duties), I think there is less reason to be alarmed. This is all new ground for me.
Hillary Clinton had previously been a Senator and First Lady before being nominated by Obama in 2008 as Secretary of State. This is hardly a wealth of relevant experience, more Obama just extending an olive branch to his fallen opponent and uniting his party. Tillerson in comparison would have far more experience on the international field and actually negotiating with world leaders.

Sultan Of Swing

Okay news seems to be coming in that it's confirmed that Tillerson will be Secretary of State... bear with me... I might make a new thread for this... lol