• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Existence of God - Can Debate Satisfy a Theist?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If theists predetermined that they accept existence of God until somebody provide physical evidence or proof He/She/It does not exist -- do they still hope that somebody could ever satisfy them in providing evidence that God does not exist?

I don’t know how someone could prove a negative... how do you prove or provide evidence something is not? But for the sake of argument if someone did have irrefutable evidence God does not exist, I might reconsider my beliefs only because they gain me nothing. The Dalai Lama said that if science provided proof that some beliefs in Buddhism were wrong, those beliefs would have to be re-examined. And I agree with that. However, unless I use those beliefs for ill-purposes, as silly as my beliefs might be in the face of evidence, what harm do they cause except possibly wasting time in worship rituals?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Do atheists try to become atheists, or they already one ?
I was a doubting Thomas for half my life. Then I became an atheist.
However, unless I use those beliefs for ill-purposes, as silly as my beliefs might be in the face of evidence, what harm do they cause except possibly wasting time in worship rituals?
As you know, that is not a problem in Hinduism. Believe in Gods and Goddesses or don't, worship or don't, but follow your 'dharma'.
Like 'Dharma-vyadha', the pious butcher (Vyadha Gita - Butcher's song).
As more hearts find God, the world will reflect this and as more hearts choose not to accept God, the world will also reflect this.
It is the reverse which is happening. More and more people are abandoning religion. Hinduism sits pretty with that. Does not require a God or a messenger.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What makes you pretty sure ?

Well...logic and reasoning.

If atheists weren't atheists, they would probably label themselves as something besides atheists. So as I see it, atheists label themselves atheists because they're atheists.

chinu

chinu
Well...logic and reasoning.

If atheists weren't atheists, they would probably label themselves as something besides atheists. So as I see it, atheists label themselves atheists because they're atheists.
If your boy child label himself as girl. Will you accept him as girl ?

PureX

Veteran Member
If theists predetermined that they accept existence of God until somebody provide physical evidence or proof He/She/It does not exist -- do they still hope that somebody could ever satisfy them in providing evidence that God does not exist?
No.

Theists choose to trust in the idea of God's existence because doing so provides them with something they want/need. So they would not logically be looking for a reason to give that positive result up.

firedragon

Veteran Member

Maybe inside their mind they do not hope someone would prove them wrong. I believe it applies to all theists and atheists. They will say otherwise.

But this is my observation, not a well researched thesis. So it could be considered anecdotal.