• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exercize is fun??

Thief

Rogue Theologian
OK, I know a LOT of people feel energized by exercise. They feel better afterwards and it makes the rest of their day easier to get through.

I have *never* felt that. Usually, when I exercise, I just feel tired afterwards. if I am lucky, I can rebound a bit and manage to get through the rest of my day. If I am not lucky, I feel down, sore, cranky, and unable to think until I sleep.

I have tried eating protein, drinking juice, etc and NOTHING seems to help. I have never come anywhere close to a 'runner's high' or even feeling better after a workout than I did before.

I have also never found an exercise that I like for its own sake. I can *tolerate* hiking and bike riding because of the change of scenery, but the exercise itself just sucks. I have tried a variety of different types of exercise: from swimming (I sink and don't like the feeling) to working out in a gym (creeps me out, frankly), to having a personal trainer (I get through the workout, but feel crappy), etc.

I know exercise is 'good for you' which is why I do it at all. But it is hard to keep motivated when there seems to be no real payoff. I don't really care about weight loss per se (I care more about clothes fitting and having some endurance) and the changes, even over the course of a month just don't seem to be worth the misery.

Anyone else have this issue?

Any recommendations?
black belt here.......

used to do the routine ....for years
and yeah.....if I wasn't too beat up.....I felt better after the workout

nowadays I'm a bit too old for that hip throw and get back up

and as the years grind on my 'feel' better
I have noticed
a daily dose of B vitamins helps
a lot

there is also the delicate balance of calcium and vitamin D

watch your sugar intake
your brain will demand MORE sugar
and it will be relentless in that demand
but you need only 45grams in your blood
try to be firm about that

Last edited:

74x12

OK, I know a LOT of people feel energized by exercise. They feel better afterwards and it makes the rest of their day easier to get through.

I have *never* felt that. Usually, when I exercise, I just feel tired afterwards. if I am lucky, I can rebound a bit and manage to get through the rest of my day. If I am not lucky, I feel down, sore, cranky, and unable to think until I sleep.

I have tried eating protein, drinking juice, etc and NOTHING seems to help. I have never come anywhere close to a 'runner's high' or even feeling better after a workout than I did before.

I have also never found an exercise that I like for its own sake. I can *tolerate* hiking and bike riding because of the change of scenery, but the exercise itself just sucks. I have tried a variety of different types of exercise: from swimming (I sink and don't like the feeling) to working out in a gym (creeps me out, frankly), to having a personal trainer (I get through the workout, but feel crappy), etc.

I know exercise is 'good for you' which is why I do it at all. But it is hard to keep motivated when there seems to be no real payoff. I don't really care about weight loss per se (I care more about clothes fitting and having some endurance) and the changes, even over the course of a month just don't seem to be worth the misery.

Any recommendations?
It's more that you feel better mentally than physically. Yes you may feel sore and tired.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The one time I've really been able to stick at running was back when I played Aussie Rules. I would run every day to increase my fitness base, because if I wasn't fit enough some big hairy-armed gorilla would eventually catch me and try to put my face through the dirt.
So motivation is important.

*nods sagely*

I did watch Aussie football once. That was what they pretty much did to the opposing team every chance they got.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Any recommendations?

The fact that exercise is associated to longer life is actually its main disadvantage. It prolongs the agony of doing it.

Ciao

- viole

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Any recommendations?

Perhaps one has to go through a probation period for some things. I'm sure I didn't enjoy being wet, cold, dirty, and exhausted when I first went caving, but when one accepts such as just a normal day at the office, so to speak, and mostly expected, then the whole experience takes on a different vibe.

Most of my former activities that I would recommend involve the acquisition of some skills, less so with caving and perhaps a more niche interest, but would still recommend it as being one that tends to stretch one physically more than most others. Activities like rock-climbing and mountaineering involve a lot of skill and hence the rewards come from achievements whilst doing such, and mountaineering perhaps being the better of the two because of the greater exercise involved. Of course it depends upon one location as to how feasible any of these are.

I've never really enjoyed running or even hiking unless there was some challenge attached, or some spectacular scenery, and the latter is often the case even if just hiking in mountainous terrain - like walking up to a hut before climbing a mountain.

And of course all the above is made more enjoyable because mostly they are done with a group of one's friends. The other thing that I have done a lot of is cycling, but given the traffic and attitudes of some other road users perhaps not so enjoyable now - depending upon where one lives I suppose. But you will probably know this.

Of course most of this stuff is really only holiday or weekend occasions, so can't assist with any daily stuff, but they might help with feelings of satisfaction and fulfilment. I'll never forget the sense of achievement and complete contentment resulting from some mountaineering or caving trips. One can also get flow experiences during rock-climbing - my only one probably.

Considering your age - ignore all the above. :oops:

Take up a martial art or something similar - like Tai Chi? :D

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
If anything, I am more able to do stuff at 57 than I was at 22. The advances in asthma medicines alone have made a HUGE difference. In that sense, I am more 'fit' than I have ever been.

I just *really* hate to exercise. I do it because I know it is supposed to help. But I feel crappy afterwards and that makes it hard to motivate to do it.
Then it sounds as if the culprit is your asthma. I can quite believe that if you don't breathe easily then hard physical exertion is never going to be something you embrace wholeheartedly. I was always rather thin, so I suppose my lungs have - or had - a decent capacity in relation to my body mass. So I've never been too troubled by being badly out of breath - I could always get my breath back quite fast, even after rowing for 20 mins at 34 or so, in a 4 mile head race. My problem was I was too light and not strong enough to be really successful, after school level.

Human beings vary a lot, physically. Imagine what it's like to be the guy in the 2 seat here:

mensfourwinninggettyimages-588669640.jpg

Mo Sbihi, 6ft 8, 227lb, Olympic gold medalist, muslim, prays in the boat, at the start, before each race. He's always in the "engine room" of the boat, understandably.

Whereas people like me always rowed in the bows or stern pair.......and, er, not in the Olympics...

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
It's more that you feel better mentally than physically. Yes you may feel sore and tired.

I *never* feel better mentally after exercise. I feel better mentally after doing a math problem. :)

But seriously, my wife definitely feels better after exercise. She has more energy. She is happier. It puts a spring in her step. I have *never* got that from exercise.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I find solo exercise of all types boring. I might feel some satisfaction at the end, but it's more just 'I can push myself to do something I don't like' rather than a runner's high, or whatever.
However, I love sports. I would happily play basketball every day if my ankles allowed, and play as much as I can regardless.

But pretty much any sport. Contact, non-contact, bat...whatever. I enjoy the game, the socialization, the competitiveness...and the exercise occurs as I play.
Like sneaking carrots into the pasta sauce or something.

Is there something you like that's not traditional 'exercise' in the form you've listed? Gardening, or chasing a dog around, or team sports, or...*shrugs*

Nope. I *hate* gardening. I don't even usually like the produce (well, hot peppers and cucumbers). I'm a cat person. And group sports has never appealed to me; I'm sort of a loner by nature.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Then it sounds as if the culprit is your asthma. I can quite believe that if you don't breathe easily then hard physical exertion is never going to be something you embrace wholeheartedly. I was always rather thin, so I suppose my lungs have - or had - a decent capacity in relation to my body mass. So I've never been too troubled by being badly out of breath - I could always get my breath back quite fast, even after rowing for 20 mins at 34 or so, in a 4 mile head race. My problem was I was too light and not strong enough to be really successful, after school level.

Yes, the asthma is certainly a limiting factor. There's a level of 'out of breath' where it tips into an attack and I try to avoid that (duh). But, for me, that tipping point isn't much past the point of 'having to catch my breath'. I simply can't do real high intensity stuff.

That's what happened with the attack in the training session: is was some curved treadmill and for some reason my monitoring of my breathing was off and I didn't cut back in time. NOT good.

I know I have scarring in my lungs: My allergist told me I have the lungs of a 70 year old (I am 57) and we hope that when I am 70 I *still* have the lungs of a 70 year old.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Nope. I *hate* gardening. I don't even usually like the produce (well, hot peppers and cucumbers). I'm a cat person. And group sports has never appealed to me; I'm sort of a loner by nature.

Sorry mate. I can't help you. I mean to say, 'cat person'?? And you don't even hide it????
Clearly beyond help.

Lol

exchemist

Veteran Member
Cat person? I'm one of those, but what is the relevance of that?

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Our cat when young used to follow my wife on early morning walks, for a 15 minute route. She still will if she is outside. I have to pick her up and take her back when I see her following after a block.
Running with a cat would be a laugh - a sort of parcour, over the neighbouring fences and walls, under cars, etc. :D

@Polymath257

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes, the asthma is certainly a limiting factor. There's a level of 'out of breath' where it tips into an attack and I try to avoid that (duh). But, for me, that tipping point isn't much past the point of 'having to catch my breath'. I simply can't do real high intensity stuff.

That's what happened with the attack in the training session: is was some curved treadmill and for some reason my monitoring of my breathing was off and I didn't cut back in time. NOT good.

I know I have scarring in my lungs: My allergist told me I have the lungs of a 70 year old (I am 57) and we hope that when I am 70 I *still* have the lungs of a 70 year old.
I also have asthma (though it's pretty well-controlled on my current medication). I also tend to over-exert myself if I'm not careful.

Talk to your doctor or trainer about this, but for the past few years, I've worn a heart rate monitor watch while cycling. If I see I've slipped into a high heart rate zone that's not going to be sustainable, I back off my effort.

Another technique I've used that may sound a bit silly, but it works for me: on long rides, I'll sing to myself. If I'm pushing too hard, it'll become immediately obvious because I won't be able to sing properly.

Riders

Any recommendations?

If I get my stimulus check Ill be getting a WII machine. I'm also standing by my chair a minute at a time. I'm getting a YOYO so when I stand up I can yoyo with both hands so that'll give me an upper body work out plus standing up …………………….Its not as good as walking or running or aerobics class, but its a start. Maybe I can start doing more, I'm just trying to get started.