• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exercize is fun??

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
OK, I know a LOT of people feel energized by exercise. They feel better afterwards and it makes the rest of their day easier to get through.

I have *never* felt that. Usually, when I exercise, I just feel tired afterwards. if I am lucky, I can rebound a bit and manage to get through the rest of my day. If I am not lucky, I feel down, sore, cranky, and unable to think until I sleep.

I have tried eating protein, drinking juice, etc and NOTHING seems to help. I have never come anywhere close to a 'runner's high' or even feeling better after a workout than I did before.

I have also never found an exercise that I like for its own sake. I can *tolerate* hiking and bike riding because of the change of scenery, but the exercise itself just sucks. I have tried a variety of different types of exercise: from swimming (I sink and don't like the feeling) to working out in a gym (creeps me out, frankly), to having a personal trainer (I get through the workout, but feel crappy), etc.

I know exercise is 'good for you' which is why I do it at all. But it is hard to keep motivated when there seems to be no real payoff. I don't really care about weight loss per se (I care more about clothes fitting and having some endurance) and the changes, even over the course of a month just don't seem to be worth the misery.

Anyone else have this issue?

Any recommendations?
I used to feel that way. It's why I started in martial arts: that way, I could concentrate on building skills instead of on fitness.

Lately, I have started getting a "runner's high" (or at least a biker's high) - I'll feel a bit euphoric after a good ride.

Something else that motivates me: arbitrarily setting some sort of training goal, like entering a race. When I don't have that, I find it easy to procrastinate. When I know that I have an event on a fixed date, that motivates me to ride when I don't feel like it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Well, when I was young I could not run more than about half a block without getting an asthma attack. Gym class had us run around a big field, and invariably I had to cut it short because I couldn't breathe.
Traumatic for sure.

Cooky

Veteran Member
OK, I know a LOT of people feel energized by exercise. They feel better afterwards and it makes the rest of their day easier to get through.

I have *never* felt that. Usually, when I exercise, I just feel tired afterwards. if I am lucky, I can rebound a bit and manage to get through the rest of my day. If I am not lucky, I feel down, sore, cranky, and unable to think until I sleep.

I have tried eating protein, drinking juice, etc and NOTHING seems to help. I have never come anywhere close to a 'runner's high' or even feeling better after a workout than I did before.

I have also never found an exercise that I like for its own sake. I can *tolerate* hiking and bike riding because of the change of scenery, but the exercise itself just sucks. I have tried a variety of different types of exercise: from swimming (I sink and don't like the feeling) to working out in a gym (creeps me out, frankly), to having a personal trainer (I get through the workout, but feel crappy), etc.

I know exercise is 'good for you' which is why I do it at all. But it is hard to keep motivated when there seems to be no real payoff. I don't really care about weight loss per se (I care more about clothes fitting and having some endurance) and the changes, even over the course of a month just don't seem to be worth the misery.

Any recommendations?

I think mostly, it's in looking back, at how times were, being the happier and healthier version of precious selves, that's where the joy is, and not so much in the present.

...Whether it truly was better I'm not quite sure, but the mind does seem to advocate that it was - maybe an evolutionary reaction trait.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Or maybe it's in the discipline of the action that makes us feel good about ourselves... A sense of accomishment that can be viewed with pride.

amorphous_constellation

Technically, my work life is exercise, so my perspective on this is probably a bit different.. I am a 3rd shift material handler. Every night I muscle heavy buckets and other things over my head, or am moving sprightly from press to press to lift or fix something. My build is I guess, sort of tank-like.. I most likely can lift more than the average person, without hurting myself at this point.

I guess I find that the momentum in the work is the enemy of tiredness.. Once my gears are moving good enough, I guess energy just kicks in somewhere in the midst of it, most of the time. Sometimes I leave work more awake than when I started.. But if I work hard enough, I will often soon have all that energy flushed out of me once I hit the bed.

Am I healthier overall for all this? Not really sure. I do tend to get full of oil, and sometimes am around awful fumes.. I like junk food, and lots of coffee.. I don't know if the exercise cancels all that out or not

I don't tend to listen to a lot of music and when I have tried to listen while exercising it tend to 'throw me off' and make the experience even more unpleasant.

In my time before work, sometimes I will do some light hiking, while listening to a podcast for an hour or two.. I live next to some trails. I think maybe this starts to get the blood moving, and preps the body for the rest of the night.

Other than that, I definitely don't go on 30 mile bike rides or anything before work.. If I did do that, I wonder if I would be overdoing it.. Maybe I would use up all the energy and collapse later, I really don't know.

Spending some time just laying in bed looking at the computer is probably alright too.. but pretty soon I'll probably get up and go on a light hike

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
@Polymath257 I may have one form of exercise you and your wife can engage in: lots of active sex! ;) You can even add some role-play that might involve some form of exercise.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
But 4 months of exercise at least 3-4 times a week and I should be better, right?
You're probably over- training, Polymath. It's one of the most common mistakes people make. Especially true for people doing resistance training: 4 months without a break is asking for trouble.

Maybe just stick to light cardio for a week or two and see how you feel?

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you "want" to exercise?
My family has a fair amount of heart disease. Exercising is a way to avoid that. If I didn't have a health reason, I wouldn't exercise.

So, yes? no? kinda, not really.

Wanting to do something that makes me feel crappy doesn't really make sense unless there is a deeper reason.

Maybe there are other things you like to do that extends energy but doesn't need to be repetitive or high intensity. I'm on the other side of the scale. I love running, nature, etc but I do know it depends on the person's interest to committment. It could be just lack of interest. It's hard to be motivated doing something you don't feel it's worth putting energy into doing.

If you Do want to and can't maybe talk to a doctor. There could be more physiological factors involved depending on what you want to do.

Let's say I am motivated to keep exercising, even if it makes me feel bad because I know it decreases other risks. I'd just like it if I actually *liked* it at some point.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
You're probably over- training, Polymath. It's one of the most common mistakes people make. Especially true for people doing resistance training: 4 months without a break is asking for trouble.

Resistance as in weights? No, not every day for that.

Maybe just stick to light cardio for a week or two and see how you feel?

Like walking? Or biking? Every day? Every other day?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Resistance as in weights? No, not every day for that.

Like walking? Or biking? Every day? Every other day?
Yes, weight training. It takes muscles at least 48 hours to fully heal from a workout. Tendons take longer than that. Even the pros take a CPL of weeks off every few months.

As far as light cardio, not sure, but something less than 23 mile bike rides. : P

On top of just not liking to exercise to begin with you may be going through burn-out.

Backing off a bit, or changing your routine ( ever think about trying yoga) may help.

An as an aside: if you're walking up 5 flights of stairs, taking 2 at a time you're in exceptional shape.

Edit: I can't really get more specific than that because I only sort-of know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it depends on age. I got the exercise bug at school when I got into the 1st VIII, more or less by accident. Once you have been really fit, you never forget the sensation. You can feel almost superhuman. But now that I am old (nearly 66) and stopped rowing 15 years ago, it is not possible to maintain. Apart from anything else, too many bits of the body are worn out or damaged. At my age I find the best thing is to do some stretches every morning, for flexibility. A bit like those old gentlemen one sees in Hong Kong doing their tai chi.

If anything, I am more able to do stuff at 57 than I was at 22. The advances in asthma medicines alone have made a HUGE difference. In that sense, I am more 'fit' than I have ever been.

I just *really* hate to exercise. I do it because I know it is supposed to help. But I feel crappy afterwards and that makes it hard to motivate to do it.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, weight training. It takes muscles at least 48 hours to fully heal from a workout. Tendons take longer than that. Even the pros take a CPL of weeks off every few months.

As far as light cardio, not sure, but something less than 23 mile bike rides. : P

On top of just not liking to exercise to begin with you may be going through burn-out.

Backing off a bit, or changing your routine ( ever think about trying yoga) may help.

An as an aside: if you're walking up 5 flights stairs, taking 2 at a time you're in exceptional shape.

Edit: I can't really get more specific than that because I only sort-of know what I'm talking about.

When I get a chance, I will go up 10 flights two at a time.I may be a bit winded after, but won't at 5 flights.

Story: I was studying physics and was going to be working at a beamline at Fermilab.

Now, down in the tunnel, there is a risk if a helium valve goes open. The helium will displace the oxygen in the air and there is a 'oxygen deprivation hazard' risk.

Because of that, I needed to do a medical test to see if I had a large enough lung capacity. Well, I don't. I tried to blow through that tube about 5 times and never got close to the value they required.

But, there was a second way to qualify: to be able to go up a few flights (I think three) of stairs fast enough (don't recall the time). The nurse said go and I was up, taking two stairs at a time, easily making the required time (I think I was half of the value they wanted).

I don't have great lung capacity, but I can move if required.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
When I get a chance, I will go up 10 flights two at a time.I may be a bit winded after, but won't at 5 flights.

Story: I was studying physics and was going to be working at a beamline at Fermilab.

Now, down in the tunnel, there is a risk if a helium valve goes open. The helium will displace the oxygen in the air and there is a 'oxygen deprivation hazard' risk.

Because of that, I needed to do a medical test to see if I had a large enough lung capacity. Well, I don't. I tried to blow through that tube about 5 times and never got close to the value they required.

But, there was a second way to qualify: to be able to go up a few flights (I think three) of stairs fast enough (don't recall the time). The nurse said go and I was up, taking two stairs at a time, easily making the required time (I think I was half of the value they wanted).

I don't have great lung capacity, but I can move if required.
10 flights is pretty impressive.

Another tip: my Achilles heal when it comes to exercise is that I get bored easily. Last summer I kept trying to get back into resistance training but couldn't seem to make it a habit again.
So, instead, I watched a CPL YouTube videos on staff-fighting and started practicing that and stick fighting instead.

It's mostly just twirling and lunging but there's a lot of movement involved and ( I'm guessing) it's probably good for cardio, balance, and (definitely) flexibility.

It's more like dancing than martial arts (at least the way I do it :p) but for me it's more fun than lifting weights, or chin ups, etc.

Edit: and if the stick or staff is heavy enough you can get a good burn in your arm muscles too. Just mind your knees and elbows.

I absolutely hate jogging.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Edit: and if the stick or staff is heavy enough you can get a good burn in your arm muscles too. Just mind your knees and elbows.

This stood out. The concept of a 'good burn' is foreign to me. I just don't like the way that feels. I *do* it for benefits, but it doesn't feel good. Usually, if I 'feel the burn', I am sore afterwards and it wrecks my day. I don't feel like moving *at all* after.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Any recommendations?

I find solo exercise of all types boring. I might feel some satisfaction at the end, but it's more just 'I can push myself to do something I don't like' rather than a runner's high, or whatever.
However, I love sports. I would happily play basketball every day if my ankles allowed, and play as much as I can regardless.

But pretty much any sport. Contact, non-contact, bat...whatever. I enjoy the game, the socialization, the competitiveness...and the exercise occurs as I play.
Like sneaking carrots into the pasta sauce or something.

Is there something you like that's not traditional 'exercise' in the form you've listed? Gardening, or chasing a dog around, or team sports, or...*shrugs*

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I used to run. Initially, it was not fun. Eventually, I got to a point past the physical limitations so there was no pain/stress. Where I felt I could run pretty much forever. Took a while to get there. A place where "you" are not consciously running. You are just observing your body run. It all became an automatic process, like driving. You travel from A to B without any conscious choice. At that point, my mind was free to enjoy whatever. The scenery, the music. I was just along for the ride while my body did all of the work.

The struggle is really in just getting to that point.

The one time I've really been able to stick at running was back when I played Aussie Rules. I would run every day to increase my fitness base, because if I wasn't fit enough some big hairy-armed gorilla would eventually catch me and try to put my face through the dirt.
So motivation is important.

*nods sagely*

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never been able to exercise for exercise sake. It's not fun. Playing recreational sports with a team is another matter. I find that there are creative ways to stay active without changing much, like walking to the store, never taking elevators, hobbies, and more.

Good point. I used to park my car 15 minutes walk away from work deliberately. That gave me 30 minutes of walking per day without even trying, and was a useful way to clear my head anyway.
Once I got to work, I'd walk up the stairs rather than take the elevator.