• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exercize is fun??

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I miss my exercise like the dickens!

I once had a bad back, and had spine surgery to correct it (lumbar laminectomy, 3 levels). That lasted me for 7 years, during which time I went to the Y every second day (treadmill, plus rigorous routine on 13 resistance machines), always walked home from work (only 4 miles, but uphill), and on weekends a 10-12 mile hike, both days.

Now, my back is gone again, and no reputable neurosurgeon is going to operate on it again, so my regime is alas no more -- I really do miss it.

I always felt more alive and happier after exercising. It's now, when I can do so much less because of bad pain, that I feel lethargic.

Rational Agnostic

Huh. You're the only person I've ever heard describe it this way. Most men want more muscle.

Well, I agree with Polymath in that building muscle in and of itself is not fun and doesn't really feel good either. the only reason I as a man want muscle is to attract women, that's it.:)

Rational Agnostic

I don't tend to listen to a lot of music and when I have tried to listen while exercising it tend to 'throw me off' and make the experience even more unpleasant.

How do you deal with the after-effects? Are you energized after?

For me, it doesn't really help me to relax: I feel ugly and lethargic after.

I'm not energized after but I don't typically feel lethargic either, unless I over-do it. Could it be that you have a vitamin deficiency that's causing you to feel that way after exercising? Might be worth talking to a doctor because it doesn't sound entirely normal.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Anyone else have this issue?

Any recommendations?

I can't say exercise is fun but we do what we enjoy (cycling and walking) not as exercise but rather just getting out and about. Since our various illness's the cycling has reduced to almost zero and covid has reduced our walks to within 1 km of home. Now restrictions are lifted we can get further.

As I say, more for enjoyment with the bonus of being good exercise.

What i do consider exercise happens every morning before the madness of family life starts. 30 minutes yoga, helps me wake up and keeps me subtle. Not fun, really quite boring but i know it is good for me, it keeps my back working.

So recommendations??? Yoga, if you have the will to watch paint dry you should find it am acceptable work out

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I agree with Polymath in that building muscle in and of itself is not fun and doesn't really feel good either. the only reason I as a man want muscle is to attract women, that's it.:)
That's so backwards to me. I want muscles so I can do the things I find fun without feeling wiped. I don't care if being a muscled woman made me more or less attractive to men. And I suspect there's less of a monolith than assumed with that sort of thinking anyway.
Maybe that has something to do with being on Twitter where lithe, effeminate men are more popular with female authors and artists, where muscular women are more popular with male artists.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
OK, I know a LOT of people feel energized by exercise. They feel better afterwards and it makes the rest of their day easier to get through.

I have *never* felt that. Usually, when I exercise, I just feel tired afterwards. if I am lucky, I can rebound a bit and manage to get through the rest of my day. If I am not lucky, I feel down, sore, cranky, and unable to think until I sleep.

I have tried eating protein, drinking juice, etc and NOTHING seems to help. I have never come anywhere close to a 'runner's high' or even feeling better after a workout than I did before.

I have also never found an exercise that I like for its own sake. I can *tolerate* hiking and bike riding because of the change of scenery, but the exercise itself just sucks. I have tried a variety of different types of exercise: from swimming (I sink and don't like the feeling) to working out in a gym (creeps me out, frankly), to having a personal trainer (I get through the workout, but feel crappy), etc.

I know exercise is 'good for you' which is why I do it at all. But it is hard to keep motivated when there seems to be no real payoff. I don't really care about weight loss per se (I care more about clothes fitting and having some endurance) and the changes, even over the course of a month just don't seem to be worth the misery.

Any recommendations?

For me occasional exercise doesn't do much but I enjoy hiking and biking but for the views not the workout. What I do find is that if I do any exercise at least 3 times a week for over a month, I will get a better attitude, feel healthier and sleep better, but it takes at least a month and if I miss any days it won't work. Once I stop it is really hard to go back because that month feels like forever. I have gotten a runners high twice back when I was running every day, where all of a sudden I felt like I could run forever. I don't know why it happened and since I stopped running and went to walking, I never got a walkers high.

ChristineM

Premium Member

I am not sure muscle is the answer, i prefer personality and manners over muscle. Sure a well toned body is nice, so is a gentleman

PureX

Veteran Member
Now that I'm fairly old, I find that exercise mostly just makes me sore.

When I was younger, that soreness would only happen when I increased the exertion or duration of the exercise. It built muscle. Now it happens regardless.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
@Polymath257 another idea I just had is yoga. Low impact, you won't gain a bunch of muscle with it, and shown to reduce stress, but still a workout. Tried it?

Yes. It isn't as bad as some other things I have tried. The big problem is breathing. Not the timing (which is a good aspect of yoga), but being able to breathe at all in some positions.

For example, I am, by default, a stomach breather. Anything that compresses by abdomen makes it impossible for me to breathe, so I end up holding my breath during those poses---no breathing possible. I cannot clench my stomach muscles and breath through my chest at all.

Also, my legs are *very* tight. I cannot sit straight up on the floor with my legs out in front of me. And I have been doing stretches regularly this summer. Actually bending over to get my head close to my legs is impossible, but would suffocate me if I was able to.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not energized after but I don't typically feel lethargic either, unless I over-do it. Could it be that you have a vitamin deficiency that's causing you to feel that way after exercising? Might be worth talking to a doctor because it doesn't sound entirely normal.

Nothing shows up on typical blood tests.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Also, my legs are *very* tight. I cannot sit straight up on the floor with my legs out in front of me. And I have been doing stretches regularly this summer. Actually bending over to get my head close to my legs is impossible, but would suffocate me if I was able to.

You don't need to tie yourself in knots with yoga, just do what your body will allow (with perhaps a little strain). If it hurts or is uncomfortable then it's wrong, back off a bit

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
OK, I know a LOT of people feel energized by exercise. They feel better afterwards and it makes the rest of their day easier to get through.

I have *never* felt that. Usually, when I exercise, I just feel tired afterwards. if I am lucky, I can rebound a bit and manage to get through the rest of my day. If I am not lucky, I feel down, sore, cranky, and unable to think until I sleep.

I have tried eating protein, drinking juice, etc and NOTHING seems to help. I have never come anywhere close to a 'runner's high' or even feeling better after a workout than I did before.

I have also never found an exercise that I like for its own sake. I can *tolerate* hiking and bike riding because of the change of scenery, but the exercise itself just sucks. I have tried a variety of different types of exercise: from swimming (I sink and don't like the feeling) to working out in a gym (creeps me out, frankly), to having a personal trainer (I get through the workout, but feel crappy), etc.

I know exercise is 'good for you' which is why I do it at all. But it is hard to keep motivated when there seems to be no real payoff. I don't really care about weight loss per se (I care more about clothes fitting and having some endurance) and the changes, even over the course of a month just don't seem to be worth the misery.

Any recommendations?
I sympathize! Here's what worked for me: walking or biking in a way that you enjoy, perhaps with pleasant scenery you like or a part of the day you enjoy, like morning or evening. Just walking has become pretty pleasant, if I wait for my favorite time to be out, which is evening twilight usually. I actually enjoy it then. There's a time when the light is getting low that bats near .900.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
That went right over your head.

I guess I need to explain.

You see, we are in a thread discussing exercising and an ad for a reclining lounge chair pops up.

A reclining lounge chair is the antithesis of exercising.

Get it now?
Er... I did indeed get the joke. I was just offering a tip.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Yes. It isn't as bad as some other things I have tried. The big problem is breathing. Not the timing (which is a good aspect of yoga), but being able to breathe at all in some positions.

For example, I am, by default, a stomach breather. Anything that compresses by abdomen makes it impossible for me to breathe, so I end up holding my breath during those poses---no breathing possible. I cannot clench my stomach muscles and breath through my chest at all.

Hopefully in a class you only do what you are comfy with. I certainly did, no teacher should push you to do stuff beyond your ability. I went to yoga for a couple of years and my osteopath laughs at my pathetic level of flexibility!

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Any recommendations?

How long have you tried doing the same activity, and how far did you go?
I feel simply bad during the first weeks which is made even worse if I try too hard. To me, it feels better once this "barrier" is broken.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Any recommendations?

Do you "want" to exercise? Maybe there are other things you like to do that extends energy but doesn't need to be repetitive or high intensity. I'm on the other side of the scale. I love running, nature, etc but I do know it depends on the person's interest to committment. It could be just lack of interest. It's hard to be motivated doing something you don't feel it's worth putting energy into doing.

If you Do want to and can't maybe talk to a doctor. There could be more physiological factors involved depending on what you want to do.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Any recommendations?
I think it depends on age. I got the exercise bug at school when I got into the 1st VIII, more or less by accident. Once you have been really fit, you never forget the sensation. You can feel almost superhuman. But now that I am old (nearly 66) and stopped rowing 15 years ago, it is not possible to maintain. Apart from anything else, too many bits of the body are worn out or damaged. At my age I find the best thing is to do some stretches every morning, for flexibility. A bit like those old gentlemen one sees in Hong Kong doing their tai chi.