• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Excessive Coffee Consumption is Associated with Smaller Brain Volumes, Increased Odds of Dementia

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
It's cockney tea you really want to avoid. Before you know it, you're using rhyming slang, smoking roll-ups and scoffing jellied eels.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I just drink instant coffee, which isn't very strong. I wouldn't want to get "overstimurlated". :p
1. Depends on the brand and on the preparation but usually instant "coffee" has more caffeine than brew.
2. I'd drink tea before I betray the real deal.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Well I must have been right all along, just having the one coffee in the morning. :D

My mum had dementia although my father died aged four years more apparently without such, so hopefully I have his genes regarding this.

Have managed to almost get rid of that filthy tea-drinking habit - not sure what that causes but I don't want to risk it. :oops:

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Well I must have been right all along, just having the one coffee in the morning. :D

My mum had dementia although my father died aged four years more apparently without such, so hopefully I have his genes regarding this.

Have managed to almost get rid of that filthy tea-drinking habit - not sure what that causes but I don't want to risk it. :oops:

Tea-drinking causes cockneyism. :p

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Tea-drinking causes cockneyism. :p
Well I was born in London but it seems I got my mother's influence (Welsh born) as to talking proper - not like all these Cockney C****, or the likes of Essex *****, or Scouse ***. :oops:

exchemist

Veteran Member

In a number of such studies I have noticed one common feature: the people that consume whatever it is in moderation tend to have the best health. Those that don't consume at all, and those that consume lots, tend to be more prone to ill health.

My suspicion is that the total abstention or lack of moderation may be caused by some conditions, rather than the other way round.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
In a number of such studies I have noticed one common feature: the people that consume whatever it is in moderation tend to have the best health. Those that don't consume at all, and those that consume lots, tend to be more prone to ill health.

My suspicion is that the total abstention or lack of moderation may be caused by some conditions, rather than the other way round.
I think my wine consumption will be having some nasty affects but a glass or two usually lets me ignore such. :oops:

exchemist

Veteran Member
I think my wine consumption will be having some nasty affects but a glass or two usually lets me ignore such. :oops:
Wine is a case in point. Teetotallers tend to be less well but then they will include all sorts of people who have had to give up for health reasons. And of course heavy drinkers tend not to be well, but often they became heavy drinkers due to some psychological need - and then the booze knackers them physically as well.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Wine is a case in point. Teetotallers tend to be less well but then they will include all sorts of people who have had to give up for health reasons. And of course heavy drinkers tend not to be well, but often they became heavy drinkers due to some psychological need - and then the booze knackers them physically as well.

I need to moderate my consumption of snacks. :D

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
A case (of wine) - now we're talking! :D

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't and never have drank coffee so I have no excuse for smaller brain volume's lol

Coffee is a highly popular beverage worldwide, containing caffeine which is a central nervous system stimulant. In a study of 398,646 UK Biobank participants, high coffee consumption (more than six cups of coffee a day) was associated with smaller total brain volumes and 53% higher odds of dementia.

Read more at...

Excessive Coffee Consumption is Associated with Smaller Brain Volumes, Increased Odds of Dementia | Medicine, Neuroscience, Nutrition | Sci-News.com
"The association between coffee consumption and dementia was non-linear, with evidence for higher odds for non-coffee and decaffeinated coffee drinkers and those drinking over six cups a day, compared to light coffee drinkers.

After full covariate adjustment, consumption of over six cups a day was associated with 53% higher odds of dementia compared to consumption of one or two cups a day, with less evidence for an association with stroke."
-- from the linked article in the opening post​

Apparently too much is not good. I personally have trouble stopping after 1 cup. What I have heard is: some people may lower risk of stroke and dementia by drinking 1 cup in the morning. There are a lot of downsides though, such as bad breath and increased appetite, possibly disturbed sleep or shorter sleep.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
As regards the lassitude towards language (as to which I'm particularly affected), I suspect that it is often because many just don't do any serious reading. After all, to many, a word with more than two syllables can hardly be pronounced in their native dialect. :oops: