• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Examining the evidence there is of God

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
So we are just going to ignore the natural process of biological evolution then?

ps: what you are saying is not evidence. they are just bare claims saying "god dun it".

Not at all. I’m just saying that biological evolution was ‘programmed’ to develop in a certain manner much like computer software is programmed to run an operating system.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
How are those things evidence for god?
In fact, I'ld consider it more evidence for a god if we would find ourselves living on a planet that is not fit for human life....

Why do you consider it remarkable that we find ourselves on a planet on which we can live?

Why?

Why would that be the alternative to "a god exists"?

I don’t consider human life to be based upon randomness but upon order.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Things don't happen without a reason ..

Sure. But that reason need not be one of intent and planning and purpose.
The reason living things evolve, is because living things reproduce with variation and are in competition with one another over limited resources.

That's all. Humans weren't "intended" to exist. Neither was any other species.

If I get handed a full house in a game of poker, there is a "reason" as well. And that reason is that the deck just happened to be shuffled that way and that the manner of dealing just made me end up with those cards.

It wasn't "planned" that I received a full house.
The deck might have been stacked, sure. But there's no reason to think so from the mere fact that I had a full-house. I might as well have had some other hand. Which might have even been better, in fact.

and neither does anything evolve without a reason.

Again, the reason things evolve is no more or less then the selection pressures at any given time and the fact that things reproduce with variation and competition.
That's what steers it. There's no planning, intent or agency involved.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
In other words: you believe such because you believe such

Not at all. I’m watching tv now. It got there by itself? It’s common sense that the world, universe and human life didn’t just happen by itself. Sure it evolved but according to biological instructions.

muhammad_isa

Humans weren't "intended" to exist. Neither was any other species..
That makes no sense to me.
This universe cannot be one gigantic, cosmic accident.
Our conscience knows better than that. Things have more meaning than that.

Again, the reason things evolve is no more or less then the selection pressures at any given time and the fact that things reproduce with variation and competition..
..but that only explains how things evolve, and not why?

That's what steers it. There's no planning, intent or agency involved.
That's ridiculous.
We get "a speck" that expands in the big-bang, and it "just happens" to end up as it has. :D

wellwisher

In other words: you believe such because you believe such

This is based on science. If we take a fertilized ovum, from any animal, to form a viable multicellular life form, that simple beginning has to systematically go through repeatable stages of building, that will be the same in all members of the same species. Many will even cross all species. Random would lead to mostly death and mutants. The latter is not observed as the majority of the data.

If you have taken any biology course, all the students can learn the same things because there is order. If it was random, no two people could learn the same thing.

Random is useful as a possible explanation for the changes needed for the theory of evolution. However, most of the random defects, require medical treatment in all stage of development. The healthy animal is based on order being followed.

The Atheist seem so used to repeating the party line, they have stop thinking. Even if we assume random for species changes, once this change is set in stone; new species, life defaults to repeatable ordering since this promotes the best health and viability outcomes. We go to the doctor when order is upset by any number of internal and external perturbations that start randomizing; bacteria, virus, cancer, bone break, etc.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
It is a logical and reasonable assumption. What proofs can it be based upon?

Regards Tony

The post you're responding to doesn't even use proper syllogistic format, but is an intentional example of a non sequitur, which is a formal fallacy.

Even if the second premise could be demonstrated to be true, the conclusion still doesn't follow. At best, it equates "thinger" with "God," when you would need an entirely separate argument for that.

However, the second premise is completely unsubstantiated. Does morality really need a moral law giver? Does the appearance of design really need a designer? Does beauty in nature really need a cosmic artist? Does causality itself need a cause?

This is the trick every proof of God uses. They sneak the necessity of God into the second premise, then conclude that God exists.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Not at all.

Sure it is. It's what you believe religiously and you validate that belief through confirmation bias.
So you believe what you believe because you already believe it.

I’m watching tv now. It got there by itself?

This is the equivalent of the fallacious argument of the watchmaker.
Pure PRATT.

TV's aren't natural objects.

It’s common sense that the world, universe and human life didn’t just happen by itself. Sure it evolved but according to biological instructions.

It didn't happen "by itself".
It happened through evolution.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
It’s only because your eyes, your mind, and your heart are wilfully closed, that you do not see. And until you open them, you never will.

It’s really very simple; the voice of God speaks within you, but your pride in your intellect will not let you hear.

Ah, the old "you have to be evil to think I'm wrong."

What a ridiculous self-aggrandizement! And you call atheists prideful? He who is without sin cast the first stone, eh?

The best evidence for God you can muster is an Ad Hominem. Astounding.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
That makes no sense to me.
This universe cannot be one gigantic, cosmic accident.
Our conscience knows better than that. Things have more meaning than that.

This is a combination of two fallacies.
A teleological one and an argument from incredulity.

This is like the analogy of two frogs sitting by a random pond and one saying to the other "look at how perfect this pond is for us to live... surely it was made specifically for us to live here"

..but that only explains how things evolve, and not why?

When you ask "why", you really mean "how".

"why did the window glass break"
"because it was hit by a falling rock".

why = how.

If you mean "why" in the sense of some kind of intent purpose, then you are really just asking a loaded question.

That's ridiculous.

It's what the evidence of reality tells us.

We get "a speck" that expands in the big-bang, and it "just happens" to end up as it has. :D

Why would that be "ridiculous"?
It really does look as if you a fallacious teleological fallacy sits at the bottom of your thinking.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
This is based on science. If we take a fertilized ovum, from any animal, to form a viable multicellular life form, that simple beginning has to systematically go through repeatable stages of building, that will be the same in all members of the same species. Many will even cross all species. Random would lead to mostly death and mutants. The latter is not observed as the majority of the data.
If you have taken any biology course, all the students can learn the same things because there is order. If it was random, no two people could learn the same thing.

Chemical chain reactions aren't random. And I didn't claim they were either.

Random is useful as a possible explanation for the changes needed for the theory of evolution. However, most of the random defects, require medical treatment in all stage of development. The healthy animal is based on order being followed.

No. Most of the random variation in genetics, makes no difference at all to fitness.
Some are harmful to fitness and some are beneficial.

Selection pressures weed out the harmful and select for the beneficial while the neutral will piggy back on them.

The Atheist seem so used to repeating the party line, they have stop thinking

Evolution has nothing to do with atheism.
In fact, the majority of christians have no problems at all with evolution.
So not sure why you try to imply otherwise. Or why you capitalized "atheist" actually.

Even if we assume random for species changes, once this change is set in stone; new species, life defaults to repeatable ordering since this promotes the best health and viability outcomes. We go to the doctor when order is upset by any number of internal and external perturbations that start randomizing; bacteria, virus, cancer, bone break, etc.

It seems to me that you didn't really understand what was being discussed.
You seem under the impression that I said that biological processes are always completely random.

This is ridiculously false.
I never said such. Biochemical reactions aren't random. In fact, they are pretty deterministic - which is the opposite of random.