• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution My ToE

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Your second guess is closer to what I believe, but there are chains and there are chains.
P.S. Jesus spoke of being set free, but then there still obligations. Many of which we generally cannot let go of (such as working for a living) and some of which are harshly or unfairly imposed. The true freedom is yet to be.

YoursTrue

If you really feel the need to get into the middle of a conversation, at least take the time to understand where the participants are coming from.

Within the context of my conversation with Dad...
  • In no way is Dad using the term "son" as you described.
  • In no way is the OT using the term "son" as you described.
  • In no way is the NT using the term "son" as you described.
How about daughter? Jesus called a woman who approached him daughter. And yes, I am mentioning something not quite on target yet but saying that words can have different contexts. to be discussed. It's a good question. Yet i could have a grandson and call him son. Dad and I do not agree on many things well hopefully dad will answer. I'll get back to you.

YoursTrue

No. Surely I do not know that. Would you care to provide some evidence to support your allegations?
Ok again later. No time now being as I am a slave to circumstances. I'm not being beaten yet. But have obligations. Never know what the future holds though, do we, specifically for each one of us. Before death, that is.

dad

Undefeated
You don't recognize actual science when it hits you in the face. No one who has even a rudimentary knowledge of science would post the nonsense you just posted above.
Your so called science religion is small minded.

dad

Undefeated
Since you keep ducking and dodging, it's apparent that you still haven't figured out a way to rationalize God's sons coming to earth to mate with humans and Jesus being His only begotten son.

ETA: I just saw this...

Again you duck and dodge.

Did the author of Gen 6-2 lie when he wrote:
  • That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
Or, did John lie when he wrote:

• 16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son,

• 1J 4-9 9This is how God’s love was revealed among us: God sent His one and only Son into the world, so that we might live through Him.
Inevitably, when dyed in the wool evos start trying to preach about God's word, we see a descent into depraved foolishness.

dad

Undefeated
Yeah. Great rationalizing. Do you realize that none of your Bible makes any sense without you making up far fetched stories?

If the founts
we could also assume
there WERE no oceans
let's say
seven major openings
two of these were in Yucatan
Now, if
the far side of the planet
we could have
but maybe

The best GPS system does no good when you're in a rudderless ship with no means of propulsion.
God's people are never rudderless. Noah was in direct communication with God, and got the exact design for the ark. He got the timing of the start of the flood. God called the animals to the ark. God closed the door of the ark as it had no mechanism to close it. God sent the water and dried it up. God watched over the whole operation. Your baseless insane fears that Noah may have floated to an area with too much turbulence is nothing more than doubting God.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
God's people are never rudderless. Noah was in direct communication with God, and got the exact design for the ark. He got the timing of the start of the flood. God called the animals to the ark. God closed the door of the ark as it had no mechanism to close it. God sent the water and dried it up. God watched over the whole operation. Your baseless insane fears that Noah may have floated to an area with too much turbulence is nothing more than doubting God.
You forgot that you cooked Noah.

He is mythical.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
@Jose Fly
Evolution as a philosophy

Philosophy - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Philosophy is a way of thinking about the world, the universe, and society. It works by asking very basic questions about the nature of human thought, the nature of the universe, and the connections between them. The ideas in philosophy are often general and abstract.
Philosophy is the study of humans and the world by thinking and asking questions. It is a science and an art. Philosophy tries to answer important questions by coming up with answers about real things and asking "why?"
Sometimes, philosophy tries to answer the same questions as religion and science.

The theory of evolution tries to answer questions creating an "evolutionary history" of living things.
The theory of evolution starts with a preconceived idea, or presumption, regarding the diversity of life on earth.
The dogma - the idea of universal common ancestry - is considered a fact despite any verifiable evidence to support it. All the circumstantial evidence gathered is claimed as evidence in support of the theory.
It is built on one idea on top of another, rather than solid evidence. These ideas are believed to be true.

There are numerous examples, but I will just use one...
"UCA is a fact, therefore we should find transitional fossils to "connect the dots" - one or more organism connected to another... all the way back to one. We won't find all, of course but plenty." After more than a century of unsuccessful searching... suddenly. "Ah! There's one. Oh. Some more. Oh. They are coming plentiful now."
Let's look.

Australopithecus anamensis

Australopithecus anamensis is the intermediate species between Ardipithecus ramidus and Australopithecus afarensis and has multiple shared traits with humans and other apes.

Ardipithecus ramidus

Looks like it. No. This is a belief, or set of beliefs held by and taught as truth.
The beliefs go further than just biological evolution. Questioning dogma.

Is it one of Satan's designs?
What is a design of Satan?
It is designed to confuse, and lead people away from their creator, and his right standards. It promotes an independent way of thinking, and lifestyle... and materialism.

The idea of UCA and Darwin's idea of evolution is both a doctrine of men, and a design of Satan... in my view.
It is not the case that people necessarily set out to do Satan's will. It is simply a case of being misled because of their own desires. They choose to believe.
Please demonstrate the existence of satan.

The rest of this is just another Gish Gallop.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I'm a bit confused.
Perhaps I should have made a special note, informing you, that this is the response to the questions you asked in the thread "New Ohio law allows students to be scientifically wrong."
Sorry about that.
You probably know by now, I am quite particular about organization. ;) I like to package things appropriately.
So first, I like to give respect to the OP's poster, by not clustering it with a different topic, and so I didn't think this discussion belonged on that thread. I think it fits here nicely. Moreover, it makes it easier for me to keep track of topics I am more interested in. :D

If you recall from that thread, we were discussing UCA. Am I right?
So, in other words, we are discussing a concept, of the theory of evolution.
I figured that's what was going on, so no problem.

Also, do you disagree with the definition of philosophy, I provided?
No, it's fine. It just doesn't apply to evolutionary theory.

You want me to demonstrate that... Oops. I made the mistake of saying the theory of evolution.
Just keep in mind when I say the theory of evolution, I am referring to what I mentioned in the OP.
So just in case... this:
The theory of evolution that is, the part that says, "All life descended from one universal common ancestor", is based entirely on an idea, which is based on the presupposition that it must be true, based entirely on assumptions, guesswork, and made up stories designed as evidence to support observed facts.
I understand that when you say "evolutionary theory" you're also referring to UCA.

I don't believe there is. From my observations there is none. Zero, Zilch, Zip.
There are good stories though, and I can understand why someone might imagine that creatures can evolve a completely different body, over millions or billions of years, but that's only imagination.
It still requires faith to think that, just because animals adapt different traits, and features, they can somehow .evolve to a completely different creature It is still a belief.
Surely you must agree with me, to be reasonable. Right?
s0801.gif
Well, let me see if I can explain to you how what you wrote above comes across to someone like me.

To put it bluntly, it's pretty offensive. The reason being, in order for what you wrote above to be true, the world's life scientists (biologists like me, geneticists, paleontologists, ecologists, etc.) have to be just plain terrible at our jobs.....so bad, that we can't tell the difference between a completely made-up idea that has absolutely zero evidence to support it, and reality. I wonder if the picture you have in your head of what all these folks do when they go to work each day is just sit around in rooms and make up stories off the tops of their heads.

Do you understand what I'm getting at here? If what you say is true, then me and all my colleagues must be some combination of incredibly stupid, extremely delusional, and/or habitual liars. Now, I know you also believe that somehow Satan is controlling things, but again to be honest with you, I see that as a very lazy and simplistic way of thinking. It's nothing more than "things that agree with my religious beliefs are true and good, and everything that goes against my beliefs is of Satan". Any believer in any crackpot idea could employ that framework and be satisfied. Flat-earthers...."All those images of a spherical earth are just Satanic propaganda". Has the flat-earther successfully refuted the evidence for a spherical earth? I don't think so, but I wonder if you do, since it's basically the same "reasoning" you use, right?

Your way of thinking about this is also why I don't really see any point in showing you that you're wrong, that there is indeed a wealth of evidence supporting UCA. I figure you'll just wave it away as part of Satan's plot.

And finally on this point, I always wonder when a non-scientist tries to tell me that there's absolutely zero evidence for something like UCA.....how do you know? Have you spent significant amounts of time pouring through the scientific literature? Have you been attending evolutionary biology conferences? Have you taken any college level courses in evolutionary biology?

I realize you were just stating your opinion/belief in response to my question, but I've also seen you state "no evidence" as an assertion, as if it were true and something that folks should pay heed to. So it's like if I were to go to a cardiac surgery conference and assert that everything they do is a fraud, the first thing everyone there would ask is "Who is this guy and why should anything he says matter?" The same applies to you and your claims about evolutionary theory.

A trans who? :grin:
Just playing dumb. :)
:p

What I would need to know, before I ca answer a question like that is, transitional from what to what. and why is there a transitional?
Okay, fair enough. Let's take the specific example you provided (A. afarensis). If humans shared an evolutionary ancestry with other primates, what do you think a "transitional fossil" in that scenario would look like? What sort of characteristics would you expect it to have?

What you appear to be asking me to do is imagine what someone's idea might look like.
Yes, very much so. If someone says "there are no transitional fossils" it stands to reason that they would have some idea of what a "transitional fossil" is, don't you think? Whether you believe they exist or not, you should have some idea of what they would be. Otherwise, how can you know whether they exist or not, if you don't even know what they are?

Wasn't transitional fossils based on an idea by a dude named Darwin? Should he not be the one to identify what his idea should look like? Did he?
As far as I know, he only said they should exist, in more quantity than their ancestor...
Page 124 - On the Origin of Species
...so must the number of intermediate varieties, which have formerly existed on the earth, be truly enormous. Why then is not every geological formation and every stratum full of such intermediate links? Geology assuredly does not reveal any such finely graduated organic chain; and this, perhaps, is the most obvious and gravest objection which can be urged against my theory.

Oh yeah. He also said that not finding them would falsify his theory, and what do you know, over a century later, what he proposed was not found, and falsification never happened. The theory endured decades after. o_O
To be blunt....because they have been found, by the thousands....in fact, by the hundreds of thousands. I know you believe otherwise, but paleontologists are not stupid, delusional, or habitual liars.

What is interesting about this situation, is that it was not a case of finding a transitional, and then claiming that it demonstrates UCA. It was the reverse. The idea that UCA is true, and claiming that transitional should exist to demonstrate that UCA is true.
That's an interesting claim. Can you support it?

What would a transitional look like to you Fly? Exactly.
Sticking with human/primate common ancestry, a transitional fossil would be a specimen that exhibits shared characteristics between primitive apes and modern humans. Does that seem reasonable to you?

The other thing is the circular reason I mentioned...
Preconception, or Presumption = UCA is true. Transitional fossils exist. Now reverse it.
Are there really transitional fossils? Only because it is presumed that UCA is true.
Well, to be accurate here, all you've done so far is say that this is so. You've not done anything to show it to be so. I mean, anyone can go online and say pretty much anything. I can say "the moon is made of cheese", but have I actually made any sort of case that the moon is made of cheese?

The evidence is interpreted, and can be interpreted a number of ways. Yes. Not a question.
Of course, but not all interpretations are equally valid, are they? If a flat-earther "interprets" a NASA photo as a fraud perpetrated by Satan, is that on equal footing with the interpretation that it's a real photo of a spherical earth?

We share traits with crabs. What is the point of your question, Fly?
As I noted above, a "transitional fossil" under human/primate common ancestry would be a specimen that has a mixture of primitive apelike and humanlike characteristics. Does A. afarensis show that?

Or maybe we should take a step back.....have you done any studying at all on A. afarensis?

Oh, okay. The reason I posted the pictures, was simply to show how easy it is to have an idea, and support that idea with other ideas - interpreting circumstantial evidence.
But circumstantial evidence is a type of evidence, just like fingerprints or DNA at a crime scene. So what you wrote above isn't consistent with your earlier statement that there is zero evidence for UCA.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
If God appeared in front of you, would your first reaction be, I must be dreaming, or in a quantum hologram?
See how easy a hypothetical can be to answer. :smiley:

All the evidence I have seen presented for UCA is, as I said before, circumstantial, and interpreted to fit one conclusion. Aside from the fact that the evidence causes - even to this day - the theory to have adjustments, and additions made to it, and the mechanisms are still not certain, it has some major challenges.

You really have no idea the level of amazement I have experienced when I consider that people actually believe this stuff.
Whenever I look over the lines of evidence presented as an argument - because that's what it is - in support of UCA, I actually feel like... 'why are you wasting my time with this :nomouth:?' Then I get this uninterested feeling, an boredom, come over me.
There is only one thing keeping me from going out my mind. If I did not have that, I would probably be asking myself, "Am I blind? What are they seeing, that I am not?"
However, having these scriptures in mind, I can understand why people believe in the idea of UCA.
(2 Thessalonians 2:11, 12)
11 That is why God lets a deluding influence mislead them so that they may come to believe the lie, 12 in order that they all may be judged because they did not believe the truth but took pleasure in unrighteousness.

(2 Corinthians 4:3, 4)
3 If, in fact, the good news we declare is veiled, it is veiled among those who are perishing, 4 among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, so that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.

(Revelation 12:9)
9 So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth; he was hurled down to the earth, and his angels were hurled down with him.

It also is clear to me why it happened to them -
(Romans 1:18-23)
18 For God’s wrath is being revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who are suppressing the truth in an unrighteous way, 19because what may be known about God is clearly evident among them, for God made it clear to them. 20 For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable. 21For although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God nor did they thank him, but they became empty-headed in their reasonings and their senseless hearts became darkened. 22Although claiming they were wise, they became foolish 23and turned the glory of the incorruptible God into something like the image of corruptible man and birds and four-footed creatures and reptiles.

So it actually connects to what I said earlier about knowing the truth.
One who remains in the word is set free. I fully understand what it means when the scripture says...
Jehovah is the Spirit, and where the spirit of Jehovah is, there is freedom. (2 Corinthians 3:17)

I understand that one can disconnect from God's spirit by rejecting the truth. So when religious people cling to these ideas... like UCA, it's no surprise. They already rejected the Bible anyway.
Besides,anything that is so attractive as to have Atheist like piranha in a feeding frenzy,
ArcticDecentKiwi-size_restricted.gif

...can't be good.

Being completely honest with you. I would even go as far as the "Cross my heart and hope to die" thing, but I don't do that, but from where I am sitting, all the evidence points to creation by an intelligent designer, with a specific purpose.
I mean, the fact that the earth is just right for life, is in harmony with what the Bible says at Isaiah 45:18 - For this is what Jehovah says, The Creator of the heavens, the true God, The One who formed the earth, its Maker who firmly established it, Who did not create it simply for nothing, but formed it to be inhabited: “I am Jehovah, and there is no one else.
Just think of that - an enormously vast universe with billions of galaxies, stars, and perhaps millions of planets, and only one is inhabited... only one supports life, that we know of. The Bible got it right... again.

Time and again the Bible proves true in what it said ages ago, and people reject it. That is more convincing to me than someone saying the Bible is full of myths. Because the Bible even said that people would reject it, and gave the reason why.
Even the foods we eat are precisely what we need for living long healthy lives. Do you know that it matters what foods you eat, and there are actually brain foods, heart foods, fingernail and toenail foods, etc...
I mean...
bewildered-clipart-puzzled-face-3.jpg

I would think that I would have to be absolutely blind, and led by the hand of a con artist, to accept the story telling from the Darwinian concept.
Even if I were an Atheist, I don't think I would remain one, after looking at all this evidence. At least that's what I think.
I can see how one may be led to believe in Darwinism though, but again, it goes back to whether one knows the truth, or if one is misled... in my view.
Thanks for explaining...very informative.

The main takeaway for me after reading it, is that you view pretty much everything associated with evolution through a theological/religious lens. IOW, for you this is primarily a spiritual issue, rather than a scientific one. So even if someone were to show you all sorts of evidence supporting UCA, your reflex would be to attribute it to Satan, and figure the person you were talking to was separated from God and scripture.

That's why in my last post to you I said I don't really see any point in showing you scientific evidence. You have a ready-made explanation for whatever is presented.

More to come on the evidence that persons claim is so compelling...
So given everything you described earlier in this post, I have to wonder.....why do you care about the science? Why do you feel compelled to try and counter it, if this is primarily a theological issue for you?

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Sorry. I don't remember.
You sent me a number of papers, and I was trying to follow your argument, but couldn't, and you didn't seem interested in clearing it up.
So if you don't mind, you can post that particular section here.
Honestly, it's just as easy for you to go back through our conversation and find the posts where that's covered. And given the recent turn our conversation has taken, I'm not really sure what the point would be. I think you've explained your viewpoint very well.

So if the gene is providing the advantage due to genetic adaptation, then, if one assumes that because there is a mutation in that location, that must mean the mutation is beneficial, a wrong conclusion is reached. True?
Hard to say, since I don't know what you mean by "genetic adaptation".

Therefore, you may not be aware, since it is assumed that if there is a benefit, and there is a mutation, then it is assumed to be a beneficial mutation.
Again, it's very difficult to say without a specific example of what you're talking about.

No. We don't agree, sorry. Do you not yet understand what I am saying? Did anything said here help?
Apparently not. ;)

In the experiment I conducted and described to you, how do you think the antibiotic resistance arose?

Which comment are you referring to exactly?
You said "All cells carry genes. They all have different purposes.... by design." What do you mean by "design"?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
You have provided no objective verifiable evidence.
It is evident that you are just making claims. That's all.

Peer reviews published research is objective verifiable evidence,

All you are doing is ignoring good scientific truths presented by honest scientists who don't do like you do, and ignore truth because you don't like it.

I had no problem with what you selectively cited, but it is an incomplete, based on your religious agenda.and gave an explanation

I will call that a scientific biased agenda.

No it is not, because it is selectively couched in an ID religious agenda which =you confirmed in your previous post. 99% of all scientists in the fields of science associated with evolution except the lineage of fish to amphibians as cited. The rest are associated with the Discovery Institute and have not published their claims in peer reviewed literature.

Astrophile

Sticking with human/primate common ancestry, a transitional fossil would be a specimen that exhibits shared characteristics between primitive apes and modern humans. Does that seem reasonable to you?

Would it be correct to say that there could be a transitional fossil that exhibited shared characteristics between primitive Miocene apes and modern chimpanzees? Would Sahelanthropus, Orrorin or Ardipthecus count as transitional fossils between Miocene apes and chimpanzees or gorillas?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Would it be correct to say that there could be a transitional fossil that exhibited shared characteristics between primitive Miocene apes and modern chimpanzees? Would Sahelanthropus, Orrorin or Ardipthecus count as transitional fossils between Miocene apes and chimpanzees or gorillas?

There could be, but it is not too likely. The environment that an organism lives in has a lot to do with whether it is preserved and fossilized or not. One reason that we have quite a few fossils for man is that man left the tropical rain forest and lived on the much drier veld and other more open areas. Bones in damp forests tend to decompose before they can be preserved. But we always could find that lucky (or not so lucky) individual that was buried rapidly in some local event. Though I can't think of one in that particular environment. Perhaps a mountain close to an active ash spewing volcano would be a good place to search. How many of those are in the interior of Africa?

This reminds me of another example. The Coelacanth is an entire order of fish, not a species, not a genre, not a family or super group. They used to live in shallow inland seas. They may have lived in the deep ocean at that time too. Deep ocean fishes die and sink to the bottom of the sea and those sediments are not very often preserved. They often go down with the plate when the plate sooner or later goes down a subduction zone. As a result since they disappeared from the fossil record it was naturally assumed that they went extinct. But we found deep sea versions of the Coelacanth that would not have been fossilized. These so called "living fossils" are no closer to ancient Coelancanths than we are to lemurs. Saying that there was no change is an incredibly large error.

YoursTrue

I understand that when you say "evolutionary theory" you're also referring to UCA.

Well, let me see if I can explain to you how what you wrote above comes across to someone like me.

To put it bluntly, it's pretty offensive. The reason being, in order for what you wrote above to be true, the world's life scientists (biologists like me, geneticists, paleontologists, ecologists, etc.) have to be just plain terrible at our jobs.....so bad, that we can't tell the difference between a completely made-up idea that has absolutely zero evidence to support it, and reality. I wonder if the picture you have in your head of what all these folks do when they go to work each day is just sit around in rooms and make up stories off the tops of their heads.

Do you understand what I'm getting at here? If what you say is true, then me and all my colleagues must be some combination of incredibly stupid, extremely delusional, and/or habitual liars. Now, I know you also believe that somehow Satan is controlling things, but again to be honest with you, I see that as a very lazy and simplistic way of thinking. It's nothing more than "things that agree with my religious beliefs are true and good, and everything that goes against my beliefs is of Satan". Any believer in any crackpot idea could employ that framework and be satisfied. Flat-earthers...."All those images of a spherical earth are just Satanic propaganda". Has the flat-earther successfully refuted the evidence for a spherical earth? I don't think so, but I wonder if you do, since it's basically the same "reasoning" you use, right?

Your way of thinking about this is also why I don't really see any point in showing you that you're wrong, that there is indeed a wealth of evidence supporting UCA. I figure you'll just wave it away as part of Satan's plot.

And finally on this point, I always wonder when a non-scientist tries to tell me that there's absolutely zero evidence for something like UCA.....how do you know? Have you spent significant amounts of time pouring through the scientific literature? Have you been attending evolutionary biology conferences? Have you taken any college level courses in evolutionary biology?

I realize you were just stating your opinion/belief in response to my question, but I've also seen you state "no evidence" as an assertion, as if it were true and something that folks should pay heed to. So it's like if I were to go to a cardiac surgery conference and assert that everything they do is a fraud, the first thing everyone there would ask is "Who is this guy and why should anything he says matter?" The same applies to you and your claims about evolutionary theory.

Okay, fair enough. Let's take the specific example you provided (A. afarensis). If humans shared an evolutionary ancestry with other primates, what do you think a "transitional fossil" in that scenario would look like? What sort of characteristics would you expect it to have?

Yes, very much so. If someone says "there are no transitional fossils" it stands to reason that they would have some idea of what a "transitional fossil" is, don't you think? Whether you believe they exist or not, you should have some idea of what they would be. Otherwise, how can you know whether they exist or not, if you don't even know what they are?

To be blunt....because they have been found, by the thousands....in fact, by the hundreds of thousands. I know you believe otherwise, but paleontologists are not stupid, delusional, or habitual liars.

That's an interesting claim. Can you support it?

Well, to be accurate here, all you've done so far is say that this is so. You've not done anything to show it to be so. I mean, anyone can go online and say pretty much anything. I can say "the moon is made of cheese", but have I actually made any sort of case that the moon is made of cheese?

Of course, but not all interpretations are equally valid, are they? If a flat-earther "interprets" a NASA photo as a fraud perpetrated by Satan, is that on equal footing with the interpretation that it's a real photo of a spherical earth?

As I noted above, a "transitional fossil" under human/primate common ancestry would be a specimen that has a mixture of primitive apelike and humanlike characteristics. Does A. afarensis show that?

Or maybe we should take a step back.....have you done any studying at all on A. afarensis?

But circumstantial evidence is a type of evidence, just like fingerprints or DNA at a crime scene. So what you wrote above isn't consistent with your earlier statement that there is zero evidence for UCA.
Just to help out as far as the description of circumstantial evidence goes, is there anything beyond surmised evidence for the first cell (unicell, to be more particular)? Is there concrete, actual evidence for that? Let's consider that for a while.
I mean like if a robbery occurred, and there was a gun found on the scene and the robber had purchased that gun before, wouldn't that possibly be in the realm of circumstantial evidence that the owner of the gun may have been the robber? Not necessarily conclusive or true, but circumstantial. Some on the jury may figure that with the fact that the robber had a history of crimes, they decide the circumstantial evidence (the gun left behind) proves in part he committed that robbery. If you agree to that, where is the circumstantial evidence that the first item of life was a unicell? I mean, it's almost like saying the jury agrees. Even if they're wrong. And so the sentence is carried out.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Here's some interesting information about peer review I have found.
Peer review: a flawed process at the heart of science and journals
https://www.vox.com/2015/12/7/9865086/peer-review-science-problems
It's not all it's heralded as. (Yes, very interesting, indeed.)
We have all seen that. That applies largely to medical science,but let's say just for kicks that it applies to all science.

So what?

Let's say that only thirty percent of new science is correct. That is still a slow constant adding to knowledge. Incorrect ideas are identified and discarded and we keep the correct ideas. Meanwhile how do you correct the errors in the Bible?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Here's some interesting information about peer review I have found.
Peer review: a flawed process at the heart of science and journals
https://www.vox.com/2015/12/7/9865086/peer-review-science-problems
It's not all it's heralded as. (Yes, very interesting, indeed.)

Oldy moldy news and just revels the obvious, there is a human element in the peer review process that over time weeds out the bad ones. The studies that are comprehensive on this subject shows that the reliability of peer review varies by discipline, and this article does not address these differences. Social sciences, and medical statistical research,and those funded by industry are the worst, and the research on the basic sciences of Chemistry, physics, and Biology have the best record, but nonetheless poor research is sometimes published, but the repetition of research, and later scrutiny corrects science over time.

The bottomline is the advancement of knowledge is a long term self correcting process that eventually weeds out the bad apples. Fortunately the absolutely phony work by those scientists associated with the Discovery Institute on Intelligent Design can't even pass the hurdles of peer review of any accepted scientific journals on the subject for obvious reasons.,

nPeace

Veteran Member
Thanks.
I think this is your best post yet... at least that I have seen. I like it. Why? Because it cuts to the chase, and I don't have to go around trying to figure out what you are really saying, or getting at.

I love this part. Great stuff.

Question: What do you think of scientists who disagree with what the majority of scientists claim regarding a theory?
For example, I posted some material for this purpose here. Notice the title - The Good in Bad Science. Please don't forget that. :D i want to come back to it.
If scientist (A camp) claim that a hypothetical is falsifiable, and scientist (other camp) claim no it is not, do you rank the other scientists as D, F, or Z camp? In other words, scientists sitting around and coming up with stories to refute scientific findings?

What do you think of scientist who make statements like this?
Do you think of them as trouble makers, not interested in science.
I understand, in the science community things can get pretty ugly :grinning: Some phrase.... They may not be "cat fights" or physical blows, but you probably know what I mean.

What do you think of scientists who make statements like these?
Source
Although overwhelming circumstantial evidence supports the existence of the universal common ancestor of all extant life on Earth, it is still an open question whether the universal common ancestor existed or not. Theobald (Nature 465, 219–222 (2010)) recently challenged this problem with a formal statistical test applied to aligned sequences of conservative proteins sampled from all domains of life and concluded that the universal common ancestor hypothesis holds. However, we point out that there is a fundamental flaw in Theobald's method which used aligned sequences. We show that the alignment gives a strong bias for the common ancestor hypothesis, and we provide an example that Theobald's method supports a common ancestor hypothesis for two apparently unrelated families of protein-encoding sequences (cytb and nd2 of mitochondria). This arouses suspicion about the effectiveness of the “formal” test.

There is also one that mentioned the challenges with macroevolution, but I don't remember where I found that
Are they not saying honestly what they believe the scientific studies reveal?
Does this sound anything like "There is overwhelming objective verifiable evidence...", so commonly stated with authority, on these forums?
Now bear in mind that I made mention of all... at least most of the circumstantial evidence in this post. So basically, all the circumstantial evidence is subjective. Which means that what the honest scientists are willing to admit, is that it is assumed to be true - something persons on these forums object to, and claim that one has a religious agenda.... a million times.

How can it be.
I already pointed out, numerous times that circumstantial evidence need to be interpreted, and can be interpreted a number of ways - which I told you how we as Creationists interpret it.
Whether that's based on what the Bible says, does not matter. We have reasons for believing the Bible is true... and that's reasonable.

I don't want to miss anything in this section, so let me try to address each part.
Are you lousy at your jobs because of believing what other scientists doubt, are skeptical about, outright, and in some cases vehemently oppose. You decide, by asking this question - Are scientists who disagree with the mainstream, or popular believe or opinion of other scientists, lousy at their job?

Do you recall the scientists that referred to the scientists on the ENCODE project as people who know nothing about evolutionary biology? These scientists were attacked with the words... "This is not the work of scientists. This is the work of a group of badly trained technicians."
That's from a scientist, to other scientists. :eek: I don't even do that. Maybe I said worst, by mentioning Satan as the ruler of the world, and behind the worldly philosophies. :D Creationists are not suppose to speak what they believe to be the truth, apparently. Only scientists can

Is that you though? In other words, do you have those and similar opinion of other scientists?
Sounds like a "dog eat dog" situation.
That seems to reveal a lot about how scientists view their opinions, and why Creationists like me, have a right to question dogma, disagree with it, and even outright deny that any evidence exist to support the views, or opinions.

You said:
I always wonder when a non-scientist tries to tell me that there's absolutely zero evidence for something like UCA.....how do you know? Have you spent significant amounts of time pouring through the scientific literature? Have you been attending evolutionary biology conferences? Have you taken any college level courses in evolutionary biology?
All the data is available for the layman to research. Because the person is a layman, doesn't mean they can't understand and learn something new. Some scientists unfortunately have this view that a layman is not supposed to know what a scientist knows, or more.

I'm sorry I can't find the article that brought out the reality of how scientists feel uncomfortable about such a situation. It is observed to be true.