• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution is the only theologically plausible answer

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, and they can be laid down very quickly.
Such long time estimates are believable to those holding to the gradualism paradigm and assumed to be based on present processes.
What we actually see happening defies the gradualism theory. Sediment rapidly flooding into lakes; underwater slides; turbidity currents; snow-melt events; underflows from a muddy bottom layer; overflows from a muddy layer floating at the top of a lake; interflows from a muddy layer at intermediate depths; and multiple rapid blooms of microorganisms within one year.

"It is very unfortunate from a sedimentological viewpoint that engineers describe any rhythmically laminated fine-grained sediment as “varved.” There is increasing recognition that many sequences previously described as varves are multiple turbidite sequences of graded silt to clay units ... without any obvious seasonal control on sedimentation.26

(Quigley, R. M, Glaciolacustrine and glaciomarine clay deposition: a North American perspective; in: Eyles, N., editor, Glacial geology—an introduction for engineers and earth scientists, Pergamon Press, New York, p. 151, 1983.)
Some may be able too. Most can't. You cannot quickly lay down the deposits that become chalk for example. Or even shale.

Astrophile

Yes, and they can be laid down very quickly.

"It is very unfortunate from a sedimentological viewpoint that engineers describe any rhythmically laminated fine-grained sediment as “varved.” There is increasing recognition that many sequences previously described as varves are multiple turbidite sequences of graded silt to clay units ... without any obvious seasonal control on sedimentation.26

(Quigley, R. M, Glaciolacustrine and glaciomarine clay deposition: a North American perspective; in: Eyles, N., editor, Glacial geology—an introduction for engineers and earth scientists, Pergamon Press, New York, p. 151, 1983.)
You copied this from an Answers in Genesis article by Michael J. Oard (9th May 2007) - Are There Half a Million Years in the Sediments of Lake Van? .

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You can if you have a flood of epic proportions.
How? The evidence tells us the opposite. Flood deposits are poorly sorted. The larger the flood the worse the sorting is. And floods do not cause critters like coccolithophores to flourish, you would need to magically increase their rate of reproduction. Floods would tend to have the opposite effect.. And you still have not dealt with varves, unless you want to admit that I disproved the Bible with my quotemine from it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You copied this from an Answers in Genesis article by Michael J. Oard (9th May 2007) - Are There Half a Million Years in the Sediments of Lake Van? .
I checked out an article that they claim that supports them. They did not quote form it, they simply gave the name of the article and no link.

Meanwhile when it came to that specific quote it appears to be just a citation. I cannot find the article associated with it even in Google Scholar.

In other words, it is useless in a debate.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Creationists know how to use science.

My comment was, "By you or other creationists? First, they don't debate. They merely disagree, and without sound argument or an understanding of the known science."

If they were critical thinkers, they wouldn't be creationists. And you forget how much of that creationist science we see on these threads daily. You've left a little yourself in this thread about what seems impossible to you.

Also, that's not a rebuttal. Actually, it's an example of what I was saying. You didn't rebut, just dissent. Where's your falsifying argument? You have none.

Which means they can never think outside their little box.

That requires training and discipline to do. One never wants to leave that box EVER when deciding what is true about the world. Empiricism is our tether to reality. There is no other path to knowledge about the world if one's definition of truth or knowledge is to mean more than just what one wants to believe or what one feels is right.

The total lack of common sense... and total absurdity of this argument!

My comment was, "Trees are living things capable of assembling themselves. Houses need designers and builders." Once again, you show that you don't debate. You don't attempt to falsify the arguments you don't like. You just dismiss them, in this case with an ad lapidem fallacy: "The informal fallacy of dismissing an argument as untrue or absurd without explaining why."

You're just putting your faith in the unproven theories of men. You believe by faith just as anybody in any religion.

No, that's how you believe. The scientific theories are correct. That's why they work. They accurately anticipate outcomes, and that is the evidence they are correct.

Did you do all the experiments yourself and confirm them all? Did you dig up all the bones yourself?

No, I didn't. I assume your point was that if I didn't do that, my beliefs are as unfounded as faith-based believers' beliefs, but that is incorrect.

Yes gravity is a theory... And we're still not sure how it works. You don't have evidence, you have written words that you choose to believe. You put your faith in men.

Once again, just because you find yourself in that situation doesn't mean that others are as well. YOU don't have evidence for your beliefs. The empiricist does.

And how odd it is that your chief objection to science is that it is believed by faith. Your worldview is faith-based.

gnostic

The Lost One
The problem with this is the evidence of strategraphy where thousands of feet of different discrete kinds of rocks made of sediments that contain the fossils of the progressive evolution of life over millions of years. It is impossible that it all happened at the same time. In these rocks are thousands of discrete layers of lake sediments, meandering rivers, swamps, beaches, sand dune deposites, and hundreds of feet of limestone deposited in shallow seas with coral. All this takes billions of years to for over time.

That's not how layers generally form. Anyone who has spent any time in the outdoors knows this. Usually they form very quickly.

Actually, shunyadragon knows what he talking about, certainly more than you and I, as he is a geologist.

I have only studied, only one semester in geology, for my civil engineering course, back in 1985, and that only to be identified rocks that engineers may encounter during construction, not enough to be “expert” in geology, as I never was taught stratigraphy, and certainly nothing about fossils in my curriculum.

I don’t know anything about you, but I do seriously doubt that you are expert in stratigraphy and in sedimentary rocks.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
That requires training and discipline to do. One never wants to leave that box EVER when deciding what is true about the world.
See the problem? This is why it's impossible to believe in miracles and evolution at the same time. It's why I don't think Christians who support the idea have really thought it through.
If one genuine miracle happened, ever, (say a man came back from the dead.) your whole theory is blown. You want to believe that everything is a result of an inevitable natural process, fine, that's your choice and that's your religion.

"Somehow or other an extraordinary idea has arisen that the disbelievers in miracles consider them coldly and fairly, while believers in miracles accept them only in connection with some dogma. The fact is quite the other way. The believers in miracles accept them (rightly or wrongly) because they have evidence for them. The disbelievers in miracles deny them (rightly or wrongly) because they have a doctrine against them."
( Chesterton)

"when materialism leads men to complete fatalism (as it generally does), it is quite idle to pretend that it is in any sense a liberating force. It is absurd to say that you are especially advancing freedom when you only use free thought to destroy free will. The determinists come to bind, not to loose. They may well call their law the ‘chain’ of causation. It is the worst chain that ever fettered a human being."
(Chesterton)

"It is absurd for the Evolutionist to complain that it is unthinkable for an admittedly unthinkable God to make everything out of nothing, and then pretend that it is more thinkable that nothing should turn itself into everything."
(Chesterton)

gnostic

The Lost One
You can if you have a flood of epic proportions.

There were no single “flood of epic proportions”, as described and narrated in Genesis 6 to 8, no Noah living in the 3rd millennium BCE, no Genesis until the 6th century BCE when hostages of Jews lived in Babylon.

No portions of Genesis as a work of literature exist in the Bronze Age (c 3100 - c 1050 BCE), as there were no Hebrew alphabet existing until the Iron Age.

But there are long history of writing existing in Babylonia during the 2nd and 1st millennia BCE, eg Akkadian cuneiform writing system, and before that in Sumer in 3rd millennium BCE, where the earlier Sumerian cuneiform predated Old Babylonian period.

In Sumerian poem about Gilgamesh, specifically that narrated the “Death of Bilgames” are allusions to “Ziusudra” and to the “flood”, and some surviving fragmented tablets of the “Eridu Genesis”, which narrated Ziusudra’s story.

If you don’t know Ziusudra was the original name of the hero in Mesopotamian flood myth, while Bilgames is transliteration of Gilgamesh’s name in Sumerian (Gilgames or Gilgamesh is the Akkadian and Babylonian & Assyrian transliterated spelling).

During the Old and Middle Babylonian periods of the 2nd millennium BCE, Ziusudra was replaced with Atrahasis, eg Epic of Atrahasis, and with Utnapishtim, eg Epic of Gilgamesh.

The Epic of Gilgamesh was so popular in the mid-2nd millennium BCE, during the early part of the second dynasty in Babylon, that some tablets were found as far west in the cities of -
  • Amarna (a city built in Egypt during 14th centuries BCE, during the 18th dynasty reign of Atenaten),
  • Hattusa (a Hittite capital in what is now located in central Turkey),
  • Ugarit (ancient city in northwest Syria, now known as Ras Shamra)
  • Megiddo, an ancient Canaanite city, not Tell Megiddo in Israel.
The point being the stories of Ziusudra, Atrahasis & Utnapishtim, all predated the Genesis Noah. Genesis was most likely first composed during the Babylonian “Exile” in the 6th century BCE, when Jews encountered the myth of Utnapishtim.

The part about constructing vessel large enough to house the hero’s family and animals existed all versions of Mesopotamian myths, as do the smell of blood sacrifices reaching the gods; the part about releasing birds to find lands, survived in the Epic of Atrahasis and Epic of Gilgamesh.

Clearly, the Genesis version was copied from the Epic of Gilgamesh, and adapted to suit Hebrew readers.

The biggest differences between the Mesopotamian versions and the Hebrew version, is that in the Eridu Genesis and the later Epic of Atrahasis, it only described a river flood, the Epic of Gilgamesh described a sea flood. Whoever wrote Genesis exaggerated even further, with water covering “the high mountains”.

Beside all that, there are geologically and archaeologically, no physical evidence of single flood destroying all life, whether it be global flood or localized flood.

Plus, the post-Flood chapter on the Table of Nations, Genesis 10, the descendants of Noah, is a piece of pseudo-history, with no basis in reality, especially in regarding to Egypt (or Mazraim) and Nimrod in Babylonia (Shinar, eg Erech or Uruk) and Assyria (eg Nineveh & Calneh).

Uruk have been been dated as back as 5000 BCE, while Babylon have only existed as early as 2300 BCE. The earliest settlement in Nineveh been dated to around 6000 BCE, while Calneh, or Kalhu was a Babylonian city built during the reign of Shalmaneser I (began in 1265 BCE).

It isn’t possible that Nimrod to build any of these cities, unless Nimrod lived for several thousands of years; so Nimrod is fictional character, just like Noah.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Incredibly naive thinking. The people who believed that the Earth was the center of the universe also accepted popular thought by faith in the popular thinkers of the time.

That is true to all the scriptures of the Bible and the scriptures of all the ancient religion scriptures . They believed by 'faith' not science how the universe, the earth and life formed. Today we have hundreds of years of science that determine how the universe, the earth and life formed.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
You don't have to be in order to observe how waterways change and how sediment is laid down.

You have to back up your statements with 'science,' which you have consistently failed to do. The sedimentary tocks are laid down in descrere orderly patterns based on the evidence at the time they were laid down Yes, there are thousands of feet of sedimentary tocks world wide that represent billions of years of the progressive geologic story of life.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You don't have to be in order to observe how waterways change and how sediment is laid down.
True, but I doubt if you have ever done that in a meaningful way. You do realize by now that your poor attempt at refuting varves

It sure helps though. It allows one to understand what cannot be laid down quickly and why. You are ready to believe the lies that any creationist source tells you. You wont bother to check them out and see if they are being honest to you or not.